Pronologue

Theft in the Dark (Old)

The Year 2500

It was just another typical afternoon. Isn't that always how a disaster starts off? With a bright sunny day filling the atmosphere of the town with only positive energy? No one could have suspected that for most their world was about to come to an end. In real life there's no pulse quickening music to warn you of your own impending doom. One second you could be enjoying or wasting away your life and then the next second it's gone. There are no second chances, redos, or extra lives. There is only life then death.

 

Only the skeptics and those who would soon cause such doom knew of what a massive impact Earth was about to take. Even they didn't know for sure to what extent the hardship would stretch. Still, they followed their orders or stood by with little to no hesitation. What is a continent thousands of miles away filled with millions of people to them anyway? They have no family or friends there. So, why should they care about those who are just occupying land that should rightfully belong to them? They don't care. They didn't care.

 

Some survivors thought that the driving force behind the largest explosion the world has ever seen was God's will. They believed that they had been left behind during the rapture. This caused even more death as those stricken with the crushing depression from being left behind just couldn't take it anymore. They didn't want to see what hell had been left for them amongst all the rubble. So, they killed themselves as a way to try and sneak their way into heaven. The others moved forward.

 

Within 5 years all the survivors had come together to rebuild the world. Regardless of past beliefs everyone saw this as an opportunity to create a better world from scratch. Old habits didn't die with the explosion though. A class system was built up with the rich on top and the poor poorer than ever before. The world had receded back into the dark ages of society.

 

Everything changed, but people still evolved and survived. At least fifty percent of the world's population had mutated from the radiation in the blast and the radioactive waste from it. They are ridiculed and labeled as devil spawns. This is what religion had told them after all. The gates of hell were to open and release all of Satan's creations. Those who had faith would be saved and those who had fallen from faith would remain on Earth to be caught in the crossfire as the holy fought the unholy in a battle that would tear apart the earth. Anyone who had even small mutations like an unnatural eye or hair color was considered a mutant and exiled from society.

 

Those who remained untainted had build great dome structures around their rebuilt cities to keep out the unwanted. They also could not breathe in the air directly. Special masks were made and issued to the citizens of the new republic so that they could breathe the air when outside of the domes. Inside the domes everything was regulated and calculated carefully. They made sure enough plants were there to provide enough oxygen for the entire population within the city. No one really left their respective city though. It was far too dangerous with all the mutated animals roaming around outside.

 

Left out to die by the more fortunate, the mutants evolved to breathe the thick, polluted air with some difficulty, but over time it lessened. They lived outside the dome now. They became accustomed to the harsh winds and dirt whipping around in their faces. Always on the outside they were looking in at the 'perfect' world which they could never reach. It definitely was far from perfect, but it was much better than the outside world they lived in. Most of them were all alone in the never-ending struggle for survival.