Chapter 20

Theft in the Dark (Old)

It was so often that Lay visited Kris in his dreams since he left the tribe's encampment. Soon his soft features floated around in his mind during the day too, which gave his usual drull existence some light. It actually brought him to smile for once whenever he thought of him. This caused for a little concern amongst the other soldiers, because happiness was so strange during such hard times. No one questioned it though, as no one had the right to. Most people these days minded to their own business strictly so as not to be caught in any bout of trouble.

Because of all this, Kris found it hard to believe when Lay rushed towards him with worry written all over his face. He looked around to make sure that he wasn't going crazy, and that others could seem him too as Lay clung tightly to him. When he saw other soldiers looking curiously at Lay he knew it must be true. "What are you doing here? How did you even get in?", he asked as he looked down at him. Lay seemed very anxious, and couldn't stop biting his lip so nervously. 

Kris watched as Lay produced his journal from his bag, then frantically scrawled out,"We need your help. The tribe is sick with a strange disease. We need proper medical supplies and  assistance. Please try to get the governor on our side", when he finished writing he looked up at Kris with big hopeful eyes as though this was his last desperate attempt to save what was ultimately hopeless.

Again, Kris looked around, but only to see how big their audience was this time. Gently, he led Lay away by the arm to get some privacy. "As much as I would love to help, I can't. I'm just a soldier. I have no influence, and I could not even get a meeting with the governor. You shouldn't be here, and don't try to go to the governor yourself, because they'll kill you. Mutants of any kind, or the people that sympathize with them are not welcome here. You won't be listened to by anyone with power, if anyone at all. But... I do know someone who may be able to help some", Kris whispered to him so that he would be the only one to hear. After that he let go of his arm and gestured for him to follow. Lay seemed a little disappointed, but relieved that there was still some kind of miniscule hope.

"Dr. Kim, Kris's friend here says that the people of a village just outside Seoul have fallen ill. It sounds similar to what people have been saying about the quarantine in Incheon", said Xiumin, the nurse that assists one of the few doctors left in Seoul, Dr. Jongdae Kim, as he showed Kris and Lay into to the old apartment building where they'd set up shop, taking them to where Jongdae was studying in the landlord's suite.

Jongdae rose to his feet immediately to greet the newcomer," Really? Has anyone died yet? How long have they been afflicted?", he asked as he shook Lay's hand,"Ah I'm Chen by the way, please no formalities. I like to keep the fact I'm a doctor hidden.... I'm sure you can understand with how the government around here keeps such a tight leash around what little resources are left. I would prefer not to be so closely watched", his eyes looked down towards the floor with much distaste as he mentioned the government.

Lay looked from Kris to Xiumin, to Chen, then back to Kris nervously. "He can't speak... At least not very well. It seems that no one has died as of yet, and his people have been sick for at least a week or two without any signs of recovery no matter what they do", Kris explained quickly, since Lay did seem to be in a hurry. "Lay is the village's medic. I don't know how much experience he has exactly, but he seems to know what he's doing when it comes to caring for the sick and injured. He wants your wealth of knowledge to help identify and cure whatever this strange sickness is, so you need to come with us to the village to see their symptoms for yourself in case anything was missed. And perhaps what little more medical equipment you have would be useful to bring too.", he suggested with a polite tone, since he really didn't know Chen too well. Kris did admire his work though. Chen was a kind hearted doctor who wanted to tend to every person who ever was hurt or sick regardless of their social status. Money never mattered to him, and that was why he never accepted payment. It was Chen's attitude towards reviving equality that he really resonated with.

Chen looked like an excited puppy that wanted to explore the world at the mention of a trip outside of Seoul. Quickly he turned to Xiumin,"Pack our things. I'll check up on a few patients real quick and then we'll go", he said, seeming like he could do a backflip from excitement as he rushed off to check on a couple patients they tended to in the apartment building.

Kris went over to Xiumin, who was packing their bags full of medical supplies now, after Chen left the room. "Is he always so.... Giddy? He seems strangely happy about the fact many people are suffering...", he asked, finding the doctor's demeanor a bit odd. 

The nurse laughed a little in response, but then was sent into a coughing fit because of it. Kris stepped back a bit out of instinct, since he thought maybe Xiumin had caught the strange disease going around as well. This made Xiumin laugh a little more in between coughs. "Don't worry, cancer isn't contagious...", he joked lightheartedly.

With surprise, Kris raised an eyebrow. His eyes scanned over Xiumin's outward appearance more closely. He had been a bit blinded by how much Xiumin seemed to smile, as if it never left his face, that he had failed to notice until now just how sickly Xiumin really looked. The small nurse was very pale, and had eyes sunken in from what seemed to be exhaustion, yet he didn't look too bad for someone with cancer. Kris assumed that probably meant he was only in the early stages. "Sorry....", he started off with that, about to go into a more in depth apology, but Xiumin shook his head and waved him off as it was unnecessary.

"Well as for Dr. Kim.... You may want to keep a little distance if you don't want to catch crazy. He's a very intelligent and capable doctor don't get me wrong. Dr. Kim is just a bit overly enthusiastic about his work. He finds joy in sick people, not because he's a sadist who enjoys the suffering of others, but because he is given a new opportunity to gain experience, knowledge, and most of all the opportunity to help a person in need. Dr. Kim very much loves to help people", Xiumin explained more thoroughly with clear admiration for Chen showing in the way his eyes lit up when he talked about him. It was as if he were talking about his idol.

Kris gave a small nod,"I'll keep that in mind", he said before going back over to where Lay sat on the loveseat. "Do you think you'll be alright showing them back to your tribe by yourself? I should be getting back to my duties. I am on the clock and the more time I slack off the less food there is for my family", Kris explained. Lay got up and hugged him, which greatly surprised Kris honestly, but he hugged back gently.

"Th-Thank y-you....", Lay managed to cough out with a little difficulty, but he just wanted to be sincere. Spoken word felt so much more true to him than putting pen to paper. However, he did write out the rest of his words to spare Kris the trouble of listening to him struggle through sentences. "Your wife and kids must be lucky to have you. What you've done for me truly is unforgettable", he wrote out after pulling back from their hug. 

To that Kris responded with a slight chuckle. " I don't have a wife, but I do have one little kid I take care of. He's all the family I've got left in the world, and I'm grateful for him", Kris smiled briefly at the thought of Misu, but that faded when he realized how he should've checked in with him a little while ago. The memory of how distraught Misu was after he had been stuck in Lay's village for a week kept appearing in his mind. He never wanted Misu to be like that ever again if he could help it. So Kris bowed politely to everyone, then took his leave to go check in with Misu for lunch. Lay had been about to praise him more, but since the other was in such a rush he held his tongue to let him zip by.