Chapter 23

Theft in the Dark (Old)

While the others went to go set up camp for the night, Chnayeol could not pull himself away from the dome surrounding Incheon. He sat in front of it staring inward. As he took it all in so slowly, it was as if he was hoping for Baekhyun to pop out from behind a fallen tree and tell him it was all just a trick. His lips quivered into a sad smile as in his reflection on the glass he saw Baekhyun hugging him from behind, and resting his chin on his shoulder. Chanyeol examined his love's face, his memory of it perfect in every way. He was thankful that he would never forget that face, because it was what brought him enough comfort to continue. "I'll find you Baek.... We'll have a little wedding and everything you've ever wanted. I promise you that. Just tell me where you are, and I'll come running", he whispered softly to the wind as if it would be carried through the air all the way to wherever Baekhyun was.

The other three just let Chanyeol be, since they figured he needed a lot of time to grieve. Sehun and Tao left Fea alone as well. Sehun could only imagine how terrible it would be to lose someone that close to him. He imagined it would be as devastating as if he were to lose Tao. Tao knew all too well the feeling of losing someone close though. He shuddered at the memories, pushing them away in his mind.

 Sehun set up the fire, and Fea started to cook some dinner over it,  using a metal grate on top of bricks as a sort of stovetop to put a pan over the fire. She cut up and cooked some preserved chicken from a jar while Tao and Sehun snuggled up close to the fire for warmth. As night thickened, the temperatures dropped harshly. Unprepared for such conditions, the two were quite underdressed, but Fea was kind enough to offer up a couple blankets. As dinner cooked, she went back over to Chanyeol to throw a blanket around his shoulders,"You should come eat with us Yeol. Rest up, and tomorrow we'll go searching for Baek again", she said as she hugged him. Chanyeol still would not move though. He refused to take his eyes off the piles of bodies resting in Incheon, scanning all their faces to possibly identify if one was Baekhyun's perfect complexion.

Choro came over and laid down beside Chanyeol, trying to give him some company. When Fea saw this she smiled slightly and returned to the campsite to check on dinner. She started to envy the way Sehun and Tao clung to each other. They seemed absolutely inseparable, whether Tao would like to admit that or not. She wasn't quite sure if the two were actually in love, but it was clear that they cared for and needed each other. Often she found herself wishing for that kind of interdependence. Chanyeol never really seemed to need her, because he always had Baek in his mind to keep him going. He seemed like he'd be the same without her, maybe even better off without someone to distract him from his goal. Of course it was evident he cared about her with how he made sure she was always eating enough, and asking her if she was feeling okay. Lately, however, that seemed to have changed slightly. She knew he must still care in his heart, but since they heard over the radio about Seoul, he had become lost in the idea of finding Baekhyun. He seemed so much more passionate now about the relationship than way back before the war, and now it was all tearing him to pieces from the inside. She had thought that maybe this would be the time he needed her, but all he needed was Baek. Fea pouted a bit as she thought in depth on this, staring at the ground while she stirred the chicken in the pan with a spoon.

Tao sat in Sehun's lap, leaning back against his chest slightly within the embrace of his arms wrapped so delicately around him. Usually, he would feel trapped like this, but the gentleness that Sehun showed kept him relaxed and open to it. It did keep him warm after all, and he had sort of taken to being held by Sehun. Something was calming about his scent, and he stayed close to keep it within his mind. Some snoring broke the silence. Tao grew confused, turning slightly to put a hand on Sehun's face. He could feel Sehun's face move a little as he snored. It was really weird how Sehun could fall asleep sitting straight up like that, but it wasn't impossible. He chuckled slightly and held his mechanical hand, playing with his fingers a little.

Eventually, Chanyeol dragged himself over to their little campsite when his stomach started growling. Fea served out a small portion of chicken for each of them onto plates and passed them around the fire. Tao jabbed Sehun lightly with his elbow until he woke up. After they ate, there was an unsettling silence again. "Where can we go now?", Sehun asked as he broke it.

Fea looked around the deserted landscape curiously. There didn't seem to be any other cities, villages, towns, or even life around them. "Seoul is the only place we really can go. Unless you know how to get to the next city over, we have no choice but to go back to Seoul and try to figure out how to get there", she answered with a shrug, then looked over to Chanyeol to see how he was doing. Chanyeol just sat hugging his knees to his chest with a blanket draped over his shoulders, staring in horror at the burning coals in front of him.

Tao shook his head,"We can't go back to Seoul, at least, Sehun and I can't. Honestly, we're thieves on the run. You've seen how we've acted on this trip though. We haven't stolen anything of yours, nor do we intend to. I only steal from the wasteful, the undeserving rich pigs of our world that wish to see to my end", he explained.

"Well, there simply is nowhere else to go. You two will have to find your own way. Ours is back to Seoul", Fea responded with a soft sigh. She hated the thought of leaving them out here with the few provisions they brought, but there was nothing that could be done. None of them knew anything of any other cities nearby. Chanyeol and Fea hoped that maybe they would run into Baekhyun on their way back to Seoul. This was the only tiny hope they had left now, so they had to stick with it.

Sehun nodded in acceptance. "That's alright. We'll be fine on our own. We're not just your typical pickpockets", he winked at Fea with a half smirk as he said this to lighten the mood. "We'll be on our way in the morning. Tao's wounds are healing up nicely, so he should be fine walking long distances now. If not, that's still okay. I'd do laps around the world while carrying you if I had to, babe~", he said the last part to Tao, admiring his face as he caressed his cheek gently with his good hand, so that he could feel its softness.

Tao lightly swatted Sehun's hand away from his face with a frown. His frown was kind of cute though, more of a pout really, which only made Sehun chuckle especially when he heard him mutter,"I'm not your babe", stubbornly under his breath. Tao became a little frustrated, because he hated the way Sehun was cocky enough to believe that he owned him. He pushed him away and moved over to lay on the hard earth, curled up in a blanket. His eyes closed and he let out a soft huff of frustration to show his distaste before attempting to get some sleep.

Sehun watched as Tao so stubbornly and childishly pushed him away yet again. He sighed softly as he helped Fea clean up the dinner dishes. "Do you think I should just give up, Fea? It doesn't seem like there's an end to this. We just keep going around in circles", he asked, looking to the ground with sorrow.

Fea put a kind hand on his shoulder, patting it a bit to be comforting. "We never give up on those we love. If you know you love him, then you know what you should do", she said softly, repeating the same words that she had told Chanyeol long ago. She smiled softly as she remembered how nervous he had been about asking Baekhyun to marry him. The memories of happier times filled her with a small joy before a deepened sadness, like the brief breeze just before the punch. She looked to Tao and shook her head. "It drives me crazy to see someone push away a person who treasures them the way you treasure him, but I'm sure it drives you ten times more crazy at least. Good luck to you, because I'm sure you'll need all the luck in the world to stay sane", she jokes a little. Then she goes over to the truck, and climbs inside to head to bed. 

Sehun looked back over at Tao, seeing him shiver. He laid down beside him, wrapping his arms around him to keep him warm, but Tao shoved him away violently in his sleep. Tao looked like he was having another nightmare. Sehun laid his own blanket over top of Tao's to give him the extra warmth. Then he sat up again and stayed beside him. He gently Tao's cheek with his mechanical hand. That seemed to be the only thing that calmed Tao when he was having a nightmare. The cold metal against his skin must remind him of Sehun, showing him that the dreams weren't real. Sehun stayed awake until Tao settled down, and even an extra hour after just in case he still needed his soothing touch.