Getting Closer

Silent Letters

It was a regular day in school, after classes finished.

"Eunhee-ah, can you help take these books into the staff room?" Cha seongsaengnim asked kindly.

Here's the thing about teachers: When they realize that you come early to class and leave the last, they think you're some kin and studious kid to the teachers and you don't mind helping them out. Eunhee didn't mind but sometimes it was a bit irritating that everyday she left the classroom, a teacher would always ask for her help.

"No problem ssem." she replied begrudgingly and sighed. Cha seongsaengnim never noticed though.

Huffing slightly over the tower of books that covered her form she walked carefully to the room. Kai had just finished class and was heading to soccer practice when he saw a tired figure carrying a stack of books. Running over to help,  he held the other end of the tower, so they could each share the load.

Eunhee, who felt like half of the burden was lifted off her shoulders peered past the stack to see a figure carrying the books together with her. 

"Where do I carry these books?" She recognized the voice as Kai. 

"Uhmm...the staff room." she responded.

She had to pretend she wasn't close to Kai after all, judging from the fact he lost his memories.


"Here you go." Kai spoke, happy they had reached the staff room and placed the books on the table.

"Ssem, if there's nothing else, I'll be going now." she bowed and turned to head the door.

"Wait... Eunhee-ah, I was looking at Kai's score for English and his grades are starting to drop." she started, " So I thought, could you do me a favor and tutor him? It's going to be hard for me to help him as we're in the middle of the year and I have lots of marking to do."

 She hated this now. Teachers and their assumptions. However, being the girl who couldn't say no, she reluctantly agreed.

"Kai-shi?" They were in the hall now, both ready to part directions.

"Yes?"

"Um...When do you want me to help you with your English?" 

"How about tomorrow? I have no soccer practice then." 

"Okay."

The short five minute conversation that Kai and Eunhee couldn't help replaying that night. Kai felt his heart flutter every time he saw her, having a chance to talk to her alone today made his heart thump wildly. It was a familiar feeling that he felt before. He opened the letter he received today, happy from today's events.

Hello Jongin,

It's me again. Well let's flash forward into your memories to the years where both you were fifteen and Summer was thirteen.

It was Summer's thirteenth birthday. She never had anyone to celebrate with her: Her parents left her, the orphanage was too poor to afford her something and too busy with the other kids to remember. But this year, she had Jongin. Jongin had spent much of his allowance without letting his parents know to buy Eunhee a small cake and presents. 

"Jongin oppa, where are we going?" Summer asked, darting her eyes everywhere while her wrist was being dragged by Jongin.

"Somewhere.  We are almost there."

They sneaked past his backyard fence and climbed the ladder up to the rooftop. When they arrived, Summer gasped. The night sky was filled with clouds and the moon was glistening brightly in the sky. Then at the moment, Jongin carried a small cake with a single candle placed in the middle. Summers' eyes brimmed with tears, as they glistened in the moonlight. There was someone who wanted to stay by her side and for that, she was grateful.

새일 축하합니다,생일 축하합니다,사랑하는 Kim Eunhee,생일 축하합니다

"Saengil chukhahamnida, Saengil chukhahamnida, Saranghaneun Kim Eunhee, Saengil chukhahamnida. Now blow the candles Eunhee-ah."

"Thank you Jongin. Thank you for everything." And in one puff, she blew the candles.

The clouds in the night sky divided revealing the stars that hung in the sky.

Find your memories, and only then will you know who Summer is.

-Silent.


The day of the tutoring session finally came, as the pair settled in Jongin's dorm room. Awkward air filled the gaps of around them as both looked uncomfortable with each other.

"Well... Let's start."

"Okay...what topic do we start with?"

"How about conjunctions?"

"So...you see, a conjunction joins two simple sentences together...." she explained while her fingers glided through the textbook.

Kai took this chance to stare at her up close, her eyes all glittered and her slender fingers. He just had the urge to hold them, wondering if it slipped perfectly into his. God...Don't get him started on her lips...They were pink and plump and it looked even more cuter when she pouted while trying to explain.

"Kai-shi, try putting a conjunction in these two sentences for it to become one sentence."

"Hmm?" Kai murmured as he looked where she pointed at.

'Eotteoke?! I didn't listen to what she was saying...What will she think?"

Dumbly, he just pointed at a random word and prayed it was right.

"Kai-shi, that's not a conjunction." 

"Well you know what? Maybe you're not a good teacher then" he spoke the first words that registered in her brain and snatched the book away from her to hide his embarrassment. He hoped she didnt catch the pink tints that were starting to become more visible every second.

Eunhee grew frustrated. She thought that Kai was better than that. He wasn't that rude, obnoxious in the past. He had changed, to a jerk. 

"You know what then?" she slammed her hands on the table, "I'm leaving."

With the sound of a slam and a figure walking out, Kai was alone again.

'Aish. I didn't mean that.'Kai spoke and ruffled his hair, frowning.

It was funny that he didn't really give a damn if he made those girls upset when he rejected their gifts. Or when they kept wanting to sit next to him during class but he denied. Why was he frustrated over what she thought of him? 

Still unable to accept the cold hard fact, he laid on hi bed looking up to a ceiling filled with glow in the dark stars.

Meanwhile, Eunhee pondered upon the facts on her lost love, making a decision that would change her life.

'Was I too harsh on him?' she thought. 'No...I did the right thing, Kai is a jerk.'

Looking out of the window, she sighed. Maybe it was time to give up this love that has been lost. Kai wasn't going to look at her, and nor was she going to do the same to him. He had changed. She no longer saw the same Jongin in him, like she seen in the past. Perhaps it was the distance that had grown them apart, and the accident which followed by many misconceptions. It was time to give up. She had to overcome a million obstacles that were thrown in her way and she doubt she could handle it any longer. Kim Eunhee was now going to stop loving Kim Jongin.


Annyeong!!

Author-nim here >< I CANNOT EXPRESS THE HAPPINESS IM FEELING :D

To know that you are such helpful readers I prepared some gifs to express my gratitude towards you readers. 

  

 

He's adorable <3 

THANK YOU!!

and keep those subscribers and comments going UP UP UP... Please Dont be a silent reader :( I love knowing how you feel when you read it so I can improve.

xoxo

LittleArtemis