Sense of Familiarity

Silent Letters

Kai was walking down the streets namelessly, pondering about the city lights, mellow storms and the ever bustling noise off street vendors but his mind always drew back to the same girl that he had sent home. He could remember that strange expression on her face; a little forlorn yet sad; a little angry yet glad? His mind drifted back to her words for wanting to cut their not-a-date-but-a-get-together short.

"Thanks for everything but I got to go."

And poof! She vanished like that, into thin air. 

Away from his gasp.

He somehow felt as if he knew her, perhaps in the past. The last time he heard from most of his friends, he wasn't close to any girls in middle school except for Jung Soojung, who'd pounce on him any chance she got. The way Eunhee looked at him with so much depth, it made him seem so exposed and transparent to her eyes, like she knew who Kim Jongin was and not Kim Kai. 

If only that incident had not happen, he wouldn't have to feel so dependent on others. It was that feeling of disability that made him feel helpless, having people to tell him what he liked before and him being unable to remember most of his past: just vague bits and pieces.


4 years ago

Ambulances and police sirens whirring. The smell of death present on a cold winter's night where at exactly 9 pm, a car which was heading to Gangwon skidded on ice and crashed. 

A young couple and a teenager that were going on their annual family trip to the mountains laid unconscious in a pooll of thick blood.

The police taped the area, separating that small space from the human world while ambulances rolled in, hoping for someone to be alive. Everyone had started lifting the rubble, but it was difficult, especially when the air was frosty and freezing.

"There's a boy under here! Quick help me lift this!" A man shouted at his co workers.

The men focused their man power on lifting the rubble, revealing a young teenager, unconscious.

Kai felt nothing. He couldn't feel or see anything but white clouds and a sense of emptiness. It was peaceful however, like all your thoughts were put to rest and there wasn't anything to worry about: friends, studying or teachers. In the distance he could hear incoherent voices, calling his name.

"Kai. Kai. Kai."

"Kai are you awake?"

"Kai this is Dr. Min."

His eyes shot open. Dazed and confused among the white walls of the room, and the light hurting his eyes.

"Where am I?"

Dr. Min smiled. She seemed kind. "The hospital."

"Where are my parents? And what happened?"

"You don't remember?"

"What am I supposed to remember?" He asked curiously.

Dr. Min frowned, scribbling some notes inside her book. She made another softer smile. "It's nothing."

A few days later, the truth was revealed. There was alot of agony, pain and sadness. 

Kai understood now why he felt empty and why he could never bring himself to sleep at night. He was an orphan now. And he couldn't help but hate Dr. Min. It was hard to like someone that delivered the news of his parents death and informing that he lost 4 years of his memories. He could remember what his parents looked, but only fragments of the memories he had with them.

He failed them as a son.

A few years later, he has regained around 3 percent of his memories, comprising of bits and pieces. It was especially hard for him to attend the funeral, with all his relatives questioning on whether he really did not remember them, or if he remember what his dad or mom was like. It was worse when everyone who was mourning with him felt like strangers and his friends who he had been with for years felt rather unfamiliar.

This led him to decide to create a fresh start. He left Busan and went to Seoul on a 5 hour bus trip, hoping that one day he would feel closer to the world.


Kai breathed in the cold air, glancing up at the sky. He wondered if his parents could see him, and if they were proud of him for where he is at. If he could hear them, would they say how much they loved him and how proud they were of him? He wasn't so sure. He couldn't remember because of his disability. A disability that haunts him in his sleep and thoughts. Kai thought that maybe having a group of friends would make him forget, but it didn't. The only thing different was that they understood what he had gone through, which explained why the talk on "family" was a seeming taboo discussion.

And Kai felt glad he had these people in his life. They stood there to comfort him in his lowest times but like all humans, Kai yearned for more: his memories.

For some reason, Eunhee popped up in his mind. And Summer.

Was Summer his childhood best friend? Or was she someone important in his life?  Curiosity bubbled through Kai as he walked into an alley of flickering dim lights as a shortcut to the dorms. The sense of familiarity in both souls were unmistakable.

Perhaps they was the key to finding out who he is. A slightly timid, stubborn and strange girl Eunhee and a girl who called herself Summer.


The next day, another letter appeared, wrapped in the same plain brown envelope.

Dear Jongin,

It's Silent. Do you recall the playground in the park near your home? It's a beautiful park. You ought to visit there now, especially in the Summer. I heard that flowers bloom beautifully there especially in the summer. And it was the second coincidence where you met Summer.

Please look forward to my next letter.

Yours Truly,

Silent

Kai realized something very very odd then. He had never told anyone except his friends his real name. All the teachers called him Kai. The fact that Silent knew his real name was bizarre and he intended to find out why. Even if it meant him going to his old neighborhood in Busan.


Hi guys,

LittleArtemis here. I've decided to go back on hiatus though I'm not sure when I'll be updating again. Anyways, this chapter is filled with lots of angst and it looks like your support really driven me to continue this story. Its going to be more planned out and Jongin is about to make a trip to Busan too! Could it be with a special someone? I wonder who you guys ship Eunhee with...Chanyeol or Kai?

Love,

LittleArtemis