Chapter VIII.

Project Bloodlines
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The sudden question takes the vampire off guard, “I found out when I was young. I felt the need to protect her and I, in turn, cannot seem to live without her. Erika has become a vital part of me. Why do you ask, Soojung?”

 

Soojung blinks once. Twice. The Halfling takes a deep breath and turns to glance at her own sister, who was now being tended to by Krystal while Taeyeon loomed over them, watching the young vampire’s movements. Jessica follows Soojung’s line of sight and sees Sooyeon talking to her own sister. Her smile widens only slightly before she notices Taeyeon standing beside Sooyeon, eyes alert on Krystal’s movements. The vampire shifts her attention back to the child before her.

 

“My sister is at the age where she must find a suitor. She announced before everyone that Taeyeon was her suitor and then she denies it.” Soojung looks down at the snow beneath her boots. “Sooyeon shows no interest in anyone but while I stayed in the village and trained with father, Sooyeon was out with Taeyeon. Though I know my sister very well, her actions concerning Taeyeon confuses me a bit.”

 

Jessica looks in the older Halfling’s and Skinwalker’s direction, observing them for a moment before she turns back to the younger Halfling. “Taeyeon seems to care for your sister a lot. Does your sister care for her as well?”

 

“Sooyeon naturally cares for everyone. You witnessed the way she was concerned for Erika.” Jessica nods her head. “My sister’s shoulder was originally injured when my father tried to strike Taeyeon down.” Jessica’s eyes widen. The similarity between herself and Sooyeon was there. As was the similarity between Erika and Taeyeon. So knowing that Sooyeon’s own father had tried to strike down Taeyeon was a little disheartening. “Sooyeon got between our father and Taeyeon, causing for father’s sword to cut into her shoulder instead of Taeyeon.”

 

 “Your sister seems to truly care for Taeyeon, and vice versa. They seemed to have developed a strong bond. And where that bond takes them, is truly up to them and the way their feelings for each other shape.”

 

Soojung smiles at Jessica’s response. She takes hold of the vampire’s cold hands, startling Jessica once more of the sudden gesture of affection. “So there is a possibility that Taeyeon can be my sister’s suitor?” Another nod comes from the vampire. “Jessica, if I may ask a favor of you,” Jessica gives her a questioning look, “my sister will have to marry someone of my father’s choosing if she does not find a suitor. I do not wish my sister to be unhappy any longer. Can you talk to her, about finding one? Please?”

 

The request catches Jessica off guard. She finds it hard to reject the child’s plea. Unsure on how to handle the talk with Sooyeon, Jessica simply concedes to the young Halfling’s request. Nodding in uncertainty, “I will see what I can do…”

 

“Thank you!” Soojung says as she tackles the vampire in a warm hug, surprising Jessica once more. A smile plays on Jessica’s lips as she hugs the young girl. She felt like she was holding a child-like Krystal again. The feeling was nostalgic, one that made her miss the old times she had spent in their kingdom.

 

-/-/-

 

Sooyeon unwillingly loosens her coat and garb beneath it, hissing whenever the soaked fabric of her coat rubs against her wound. Krystal helps her in gently peeling the coat and the robe off of her injured shoulder. The freezing temperature sent shivers through Sooyeon’s exposed shoulder and arm. She involuntarily trembles as the cold seeped through her bared skin and spread through her body.

 

“I’m sorry you had to suffer like this,” Krystal apologizes, “I’ll make sure to hasten in treating your injury.”

 

Sooyeon merely nods in reply, her teeth chattering at the cold. Taeyeon notices her discomfort and decides to shift into her wolf form to provide warmth for the Chief’s daughter.

 

The flash of light startles the vampires along with the rest of Lady Jung’s pack. Sooyeon flinches when a warm ball of fur wraps itself around her form, snuggling up to her. Eyes meet a delicate pair of orbs staring right back at her as the white wolf’s head nuzzles itself on her lap. Fingers instinctively run through blanche fur, brushing from behind the wolf’s ears down to the back of the beast’s head.

 

Krystal’s gaze silently follows the fingers lightly the white pelt before shifting her sight to Sooyeon’s calm countenance.

 

Yuri and Juhyun give each other a knowing look while Lady Jung’s lips upturn into a smile at the sight of her daughter and the white wolf’s interaction.

 

“Are they together?” Erika ponders aloud, earning Lady Jung’s attention. The elder Skinwalker faces the vampire, whose eyes were still locked on the wolf-Halfling couple.

 

“My daughter told her father that Taeyeon was her suitor in a moment of haste. She was trying to draw her father’s attention away from Taeyeon. Our village is very close knitted, so when she said Taeyeon’s name…it brought upon confusion. For there was no one in our village with that name. But her and Taeyeon do share a special bond; one

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter