Chapter VI.

Project Bloodlines
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The smell of blood overwhelms the Skinwalkers and the Halflings, making Soojung feel nauseous. Sooyeon pulls Soojung close against her side, allowing for the young girl to bury her head in Sooyeon’s neck. Shaking her head, she glances at the snow beneath her feet as her mother, Taeyeon, and Juhyun look on with interest, watching Jessica feed off her twin sister.

 

“You are just going to allow her to drink her sister’s blood?” No one answers Sooyeon’s question. “She could kill her sister.” Lifting her head, the Halfling’s eyes flicker from Krystal’s face to Hyoyeon to Sunny and finally to Tiffany.

 

“She needs blood,” states Krystal once again.

 

“And you would all rather sacrifice Erika than to search for another source of blood?” Free hand curls into a fist, her hold on Soojung’s back tightens. “I do not like any of you. But I would not wish this to happen to any of you. If she needs blood, find another source. But do not take the life force from someone you call family.”

 

Sunny smiles softly. “It is fine.” Sooyeon gives her a hard look. “Jessica would not drink Erika dry. Erika means too much to her.”

 

Nose flares; Sooyeon prepares to speak again when her mother holds up her hand. “Erika and Jessica are not just twin sisters. Am I correct?” The elderly Skinwalker gazes at the twins. “Their relationship is something more than just siblings. Which is why you said Jessica will not drink Erika dry. They are lovers, are they not?” Jessica pulls away from Erika’s neck. A faint blush spreads across the vampire’s cheeks. “They are. Just like my Sooyeon and Taeyeon.”

 

“What? She is not my suitor,” responds Sooyeon loudly, earning stares. “Taeyeon, tell her.” The young Skinwalker takes a step back. “We are not lovers. She is not my suitor. I lied to father, so he would not ask too many questions.”

 

Lady Jung just smiles, turning her attention back to the vampires. “Are you feeling better, Jessica?”

 

A faint smile ghosts over Jessica’s face before she locks eyes with her older twin sister, nodding at Lady Jung. “Hmm. I feel better now. Thank you for the concern, Lady Jung. And we are sorry for attacking you back there. We also apologize for causing damage to your forest.”

 

“Apologies accepted,” Lady Jung replies, before scanning the damage to their surroundings. “Although, I cannot guarantee your safety from my husband. You have injured our forest and if my people would know of this, they will surely have you imprisoned and punished.”

 

“We can mend your forest.” Tiffany retorts, “I think I can help in setting some things into place.”

 

“What can you do?” Yuri asks, raising a skeptical brow at the archer.

 

Tiffany takes a step forward, leaning down to place her palm on the cold, icy ground. “Watch.” She says as she wills the earth to shift, moving some of the trees that had been damaged, using the earth to mend the broken branches back into their spots. The reconnected branches form their bark and attach themselves like limbs to their respective trunks.

 

Lady Jung and her pack watch in awe as their forest comes alive to heal itself under the vampire’s influence. Soojung, in particular, finds it amazing. Her gaze falls on Tiffany, who now straightens herself after having done the job. “This is all I can do, but I cannot tame the flames that are still burning.” Tiffany sighs as she stares at the dying cinders that are still to be extinguished.

 

Yuri steps up to offer her help, but she is cut off when Krystal lifts a hand, willing the falling snow to swirl in her palms, making Soojung gasp in wonder. Sooyeon’s eyes widen when she sees the snow falling around them change their direction, the icy flakes drawing closer to the youngest vampire. Taeyeon stands closer to the eldest Halfling, wary of the youngest vampire’s intentions. Juhyun marvels at the magical display as Krystal spreads her fingers, making the cold flakes scatter in the wind, guiding them to put out the small flames slowly eating up the brush and leaves around them.

 

Krystal wills the snow to cover the damages, cleverly camouflaging the burnt areas of the thick brush with the white blanket of ice. Lips curve into a smile as she finishes the deed. “That should do it, I think.” Sooyeon scowls at the remark. She folds her arms and looks to the side. She cannot believe how easy it was for these strange people to fix things, while her own sister struggles with some plaguing condition which she needed to settle by travelling to Nimbus.

 

Sunny notes the Chief’s daughter’s reaction, amusement ghosting over the vampire’s face. “You don’t seem satisfied.” A huff escapes the Chief’s successor. Sooyeon glares at the most levelheaded vampire.

 

“I cannot forgive you

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter