Chapter X.

Project Bloodlines
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"May contain spoilers for both Project Skies and ATTB/2. Read at your own risk." Now that you have been warned, you may proceed.

 

 

 

X.

 

“There is nothing there,” states Taeyeon with a solemn expression. “My family…tribe was wiped out. My father died before I was born. My mother died in the massacre. And I am sure that the guards reported where I have been staying to the King of Azure.” Shoulders sag. “And the King more than likely ordered an attack on the village, wiping everything and everyone out.” Erika’s jaw tenses. Massacre? Killing innocents? Exactly what kind of world did Hyoyeon’s and Jessica’s portal bring them to?

 

Taeyeon shakes her head. “You did not come here to listen to me talk about my past,” she mutters out. Lowering her gaze, she glances at Erika’s profile. “What is it that you wish to speak to me about?”

 

“Since you do not think about going back, what do you think you will do?” questions Erika. “Follow Sooyeon everywhere? And listen to her every command? And once Sooyeon finds a suitor then what? She will marry. She will have children. And she will have a totally different life. You won’t be able to follow her around.”

 

“You follow Jessica around,” remarks Taeyeon.

 

“That is because Jessica is my sister as well as my future wife. But Sooyeon doesn’t have any of those titles with you.” Erika turns to Taeyeon, “Or do you have feelings for Sooyeon?” Taeyeon’s nose scrunches and she shakes her head. Erika laughs lightly. “So what do you plan to do?”

 

“Sooyeon gave me the offer, to lead her to Nimbus so that she can cure Soojung and in return I can live within the village of Asheel.”

 

“And you’re going to take her up on that offer?” Taeyeon nods her head. “How close are you and Sooyeon?” Taeyeon shrugs her shoulders. They were close. Sooyeon shares some things with her. But she doesn’t know if they were extremely close. “How did you meet such a character?”

 

“When I fell from Nimbus, I landed before her. But before I had the chance to speak, Sooyeon took off after her sister. I stumbled across them while in wolf form and helped them escape from a group of bandits.” Erika nods her head. “And in return, Sooyeon saved me from dying at her father’s hand. Though the debt is paid, I owe Sooyeon for taking care of me while I was injured.”

 

-/-/-

 

Sooyeon stares at Jessica and Jessica arches a brow, curiously waiting to hear what Sooyeon has to say. “So, is there someone in your life, Sooyeon?” Sooyeon scoffs and turns her attention back to the rabbit that she was cradling. “Sooyeon, at what age should you have a suitor?”

 

“Eighteen winters,” mumbles Sooyeon. “After the eighteenth winter, if you have not found a suitor…your parents appoint you one.  But as the future Chief, I should have one before my seventeenth winter.” Sooyeon blinks a few times before looking up at Jessica. “Why are you, a vampire, interested in my age and whether or not I have a suitor?” Jessica opens to speak, when Sooyeon quickly spins around. Eyes dart left then right, finally landing on Soojung’s form. “Soojung!” The young girl’s eyes widen in fright. A low growl rumbles from Sooyeon and before she could do anything, Jessica blocks her way. Grunting, Sooyeon stares at Jessica; an annoyed expression etches its way across her face.

 

“She is worried about you.”

 

“So she speaks to a stranger about me?” remarks Sooyeon, while pushing herself up on to her feet. She s the hare into Jessica’s arms. “I have already chosen my path.” A deep breath is taken. “I am not fit to be the heir; Soojung is much stronger, much faster than I am. She deserves it. My father and the village elders seem to believe so. So I am not looking for a suitor, for there is no need for one.” Scooping up her belongings, the Halfling huffs. “You wish to learn and show me the way, but there is nothing to show, Vampire.”

 

Jessica sighs in defeat. Crimson eyes glance at Sooyeon’s back, watching as the Halfling disappears into the brush and thicket. “Good going, Jessica,” she mutters, to herself. Turning her head, the vampire glances at her fiancée, watching as the older twin converses with Taeyeon. What was she to do? Sooyeon seems to be sensitive to this topic. Another sigh brushes past Jessica’s lips. “Something bothering you?” A questioning look appears on Jessica’s face as Krystal’s question rings loud and clear in her ears. “Do I have to hunt down the half werewolf and drag her back here, screaming and kicking?” Jessica giggles.

 

“Soojung wishes to see her sister end up with someone that will make her happy. Not someone their father picks. But Sooyeon does not care for such things, because she feels as if there is no need to find someone,” explains Jessica as best as she could, never tearing her eyes away from Erika. “Sooyeon is to find a suitor before the end of winter or her father decides. And Sooyeon believes that she should not look because she is not capable of becoming Chief.”

 

“Well, she is rash. And reckless. And loud. Abrasive.”

 

“Though she is rough around the edges, she has a softer side to her,” whispers Jessica, finally turning to look at her younger sibling and lifts the hare in the air. “I do not think I like that she is miserable.”

 

“Who?”

 

“Sooyeon.” Brows furrow and Krystal leans her head against Jessica’s.

 

“Who would have thought that we’d feel bad for werewolves,” whispers out Krystal. Jessica smiles a little. “So what are you going to do?” Jessica shrugs and the two sisters stand there quietly. “Are you going to go after her? She could get into some danger on her own.” Jessica scoffs. Sooyeon? Danger? As if. That Halfling could probably take on a whole clan of vampires on her own, and probably come out scratched and beaten just a bit. “Her arm is healed but the injury could get worse.” Huffing, Jessica pushes Krystal away, handing the hare to the younger vampire, and storms off after Sooyeon, never noticing the smile that had appeared on the younger vampire’s face.

 

-/-/-

 

Soojung comes to Krystal’s side, leaning close to the young vampire as they both watch Jessica disappear into the thicket. “Do you think I did the right thing to have your sister talk to mine about the suitor thing?” Krystal runs a hand over the younger Halfling’s long tresses before a smile appears on her face.

 

“I think you made the right decision, Soojung.” The Chief’s youngest daughter meets Krystal’s crimson eyes before she bursts into a wide grin. Krystal finds it adorable as she gently ruffles the younger one’s hair. “Let’s sit back and relax,” Krystal tells her younger replica.

 

The two youngest members of both parties watch Erika and Taeyeon as they head back to the clearing where the two groups had settled. The young Skinwalker and the eldest Vampire seem to be too engrossed in their conversation. Soojung manages to plop down onto the snow to rest, only to be held by her arm by Krystal. Casting the older one a confused look, Krystal unclasps her long dark cloak and plops it to the ground. “The ground is covered in snow. You might feel cold if you sit on it directly,” explains the vampire. Soojung beams her a thankful smile before she settles herself on the cloak spread by Krystal.

 

“My oldest sister seems to be frustrated with Taeyeon…” Krystal chuckles upon seeing Erika sigh with an innocent-looking Taeyeon eyeing her in confusion.

 

Soojung giggles at the amusing scene, “They seem to be getting along fairly well…”

 

Krystal nods in agreement before she casts a fleeting glance behind them. Soojung stops laughing when she notices her companion was now silent. The young Halfling turns to follow Krystal’s line of sight. It seems that Jessica and Sooyeon have taken their time to talk in private or may have taken the time to chase one another around the Woodsea. “They’ll be back,” Soojung assures her, startling Krystal some. “I just know it. I trust your sister and you should trust mine.”

 

And with Soojung’s reassurance, Krystal is put to ease.  

 

 -/-/-

 

“And what will you do when you’ve finished your part of the deal of leading Sooyeon to a place that will cure her sister?” Erika inquires, crimson eyes locking with dark orbs.

Taeyeon scratches her head for a moment before responding, “I do not know. I have not really thought about how I would live my life when I settle in Asheel.” Erika sighs at the young Skinwalker’s reply. This will take a while to discuss and she’s thinking of taking back her words now about Taeyeon not being naïve.

 

“So, you have not thought about your plans for the future?” Erika asks. Taeyeon shakes her head, confirming her previous answer. “Do you not want to do something with your life after you have fulfilled whatever promise you made with Sooyeon?” Taeyeon blinks, head tilts before she stares up at the sky to ponder. Erika raises her brows, expecting something close to a thoughtful answer.

 

“I would probably live in the Woodsea Forest… and catch some fish for food. Or I can probably help out the villagers with their tasks if they will allow me.” Taeyeon finally answers. “Sooyeon would probably be Chief by then, so she might be running the village.”

 

“Don’t you want to stay by her side by that time? Or play a part in her life? You seem close to her and I think she trusts you as much since you mentioned earlier that she would tell you things.”

 

“That has not really crossed my mind.” Taeyeon smiles sheepishly, much to Erika’s frustration. The vampire groans. This is not how she had wanted to talk with the Skinwalker. She had thought Taeyeon was just using this naivety as a front, but she had not expected that she was indeed what Lady Jung had described – a pup. The wolf before her is a mere pup, something untainted by the cruelties of the world despite what she might have gone through.

 

Erika huffs before running a hand through her hair, “Would you consider if you were to become Sooyeon’s suitor and the future Chief’s spouse should things go well?” Crimson eyes look hopeful for a proper answer this time, but Taeyeon shakes her head, smiling innocently.

 

“I do not think I am suited for that. I am but a stranger to this place and Sooyeon, well, she definitely has a bigger role to fill.”

 

The vampire almost doubles over at the answer. Hand gently rubs her face as she releases another sigh, “But you’re a Skinwalker and you seem to be of high rank from what I have experienced during our fight. I think you will contribute a lot to the people. You seem to be fit to be by Sooyeon’s side.”

 

“My rank no longer matters,” mumbles Taeyeon. The Skinwalker looks to her crossed legs, hands fiddling with her cloak. “I guess I can be by her side for as long as she wants me to. I cannot really impose myself on her. She welcomed me to her community, treated my injury, and saved me from death. I am but a servant in her midst. Nothing more. But it seems that you have an interesting relationship.” Dark orbs stare back at Erika.

 

The eldest vampire looks back into the brushes where both Sooyeon and Jessica had disappeared to. Then, she turns and nods in response to the young Skinwalker, “She’s my fiancée and my twin sister.”

 

The young Skinwalker raises a brow, “But is that not allowed to marry your own kin?”

 

Erika’s lips upturn as she explains, “Among my people, us, pureblooded vampires are required under Blood Covenant to maintain our line’s purity. We cannot merge our blood with those who are not our kin. We were bound by that pact since the appearance of our ancestors a hundred years back.”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter