Chapter II.

Project Bloodlines
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sooyeon stares down at the reins in her hands. Her grip tightens as she recalls the moment of parting with her mother. There was something off with it. Something did not feel right within the Woodsea. She had thought it had to do with the fact that her sister is ill. The Switch had come and there are Harmonians dwelling in the forest. But even with all of that, it did not feel right.

 

 “Sooyeon,” calls out Soojung in an attempt to bring her sister back to reality. But it all fails, as Sooyeon gives a tug of the reins, turning her horse around much to everyone’s surprise. “Sooyeon! Where are you going?”

 

“Back.” That was all Sooyeon said as she urges her horse forward, deeper into the Woodsea Forest. Taeyeon, who had been tailing her, stops midstride as she looks at the retreating figure in puzzlement.

 

“Taeyeon, we need to go after her.” Soojung says as she, Juhyun, and Yuri maneuver their horses to turn back to the way they came.

 

“What’s wrong, Soojung?” Juhyun inquires, confused with Sooyeon’s sudden change of heart.

 

“Sooyeon must have sensed something was wrong.” Soojung explains in full understanding of her sister’s dynamics. “Something must be happening and she sensed it.”

 

Yuri, who was riding astride Juhyun, raises a brow in doubt. “And you know all that based on her actions?”

 

Soojung nods her head. “Sooyeon’s instincts have never failed her. She may be stubborn and reckless but my sister is usually right about these things.” Soojung says before she urges her horse to a sprint following the white wolf that went far ahead of them. Sooyeon was now a mere blur from afar as they all tried to catch up. 

 

-/-/-

 

Nose flares as she listens closely to the sounds going on around her. A yelp could be heard to her right and she steers her horse in that direction. “Come on,” she whispers. “Come on.”

 

Eyes take in the sight of damaged shrubs and squashed plants. A low growl escapes from her lips. Eyes flicker back and forth, attempting to pick up any signs of who caused the damage. Knuckles turn white. “Come on.”

 

A loud howl and Sooyeon’s body tenses. “Ma!” Reaching over her shoulder, she grimaces as pain shoots through her muscles, but she takes a deep breath before she grabs her bow drawing it. “Ma!” Arm is pulled back as she clenches her teeth and trembling fingers release the arrow, sending it flying through the air. “Ma!” Sooyeon receives nothing in return but a howl. Groaning from the pain that her wound was causing, Sooyeon jumps from her horse, and takes off in a sprint.

 

Eyes soon land on her mother trying to escape the clutches of two vampire figures. Fingers wrap around the hilt of her dagger. A flick of the wrist and the small blade misses Erika, getting jammed into a tree. Sooyeon grits her teeth as another shot of pain sears through her wounded shoulder after the throw. “Ma, run!” Everyone turns to face Sooyeon. Taking that moment of hesitation, the large grey wolf knocks one of them over before dashing into the thicket disappearing.

 

Huffing, Sooyeon draws her bow once again, aiming at the two figures. Sweat beads her brow as she suppresses the terrible feeling shooting up from her wound due to her exertion. “Who are you? And what are you doing in my forest?” Her fingers tremble as she struggles to maintain her aim despite the red now staining her right shoulder.

 

No response.

 

“I will only ask once more before I send an arrow through each one of you,” she hisses, unaware of the movement nearby. “The Woodsea is Asheel’s territory. And I am the future Chief of Asheel, and as so, I would like to know…what you are doing in my forest, attacking my mother.”

 

No words were spoken. Hyoyeon lunges forward causing for Sooyeon to release the arrow.

 

Color drains from Sooyeon’s face. Her hands shake. Pain is momentarily forgotten. And sight falls upon a familiar face. “Soo…Soojung…” she whispers out, staring at the young girl who was now standing between herself and Hyoyeon, holding the arrow that she had just fired. Eyes trace over every inch of the girl’s face before finally settling on the pair of startling crimson eyes.

 

“The wolf got away. You should go get it. We do not know where it is going,” states Krystal, never breaking eye contact with Sooyeon.

 

Hyoyeon turns away from the two as she moves to pursue the wolf. “Be careful, Krystal,” Erika says before she turns and catches up with the other vampire, leaving the two unmoved figures in the snow.

 

A cold breeze sweeps through the area, blowing their long tresses in the wind. A frown ghosts over Sooyeon’s brows as she takes in the familiar figure. This Soojung is grown up and… strange. Her face is familiar and different at the same time. And her name – it was different. Krystal? So, this person is not her sister. ‘Not Soojung.’ Sooyeon tries to convince herself despite the uncanny similarities save for the pallid complexion, the crimson eyes, and the much older age.

 

“You’re injured.” Krystal shakes her from reverie as she notes the patch of red that was beginning to form where Sooyeon’s bandaged wound had been.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter