Chapter 4

My Vampire Girlfriend

I got home from school. Then, I saw Dad with visitors in the living room. "Son, come here." Dad called me. I sat beside him and glanced at the 2 visitors. "Han, this is Mr. Kang. My co-employee. And also her daughter, Kang Hyosub." Dad said. "It has been an honor to meet you." I lend him my hand and he gave it a shake. And also to Hyosub. 

"You have a good son. I like it." Mr. Kang complimented. "Yes. I'm lucky that he has discipline." Dad messed my hair. Hyosub giggled. Their conversation was very long. I excused myself to go out for a while and they allowed me. When I got out of the house, it was almost night. I sat on the small stairs and stared at the sky. I heard the door opened and it's Hyosub.

"Hi." She waved at me. I smiled at her and stare at the sky once again. "How's your school?" She asked. "It's great. I thought things will be strange but I was wrong." I smiled to myself. "How about you?" I asked her. "I don't go to school." She answered. That's unexpected. "Why?" I asked curiously. "Uh... It's part of our family's history, I guess. I can't tell you some other details. It's forbidden to a person like you." She explained. I can't force her to say it.

"Hey, you two." Dad said after opening the door behind us. "Hey, Dad." I stood up. I helped Hyosub to stand up. "We'll be going now. Her brothers are hungry." Mr. Kang said. We bid our goodbyes and went to our own ways. 

The next day came. Dad drove me to school. I saw my friends again. We went to our class. To my surprise, Minjae wasn't there. It's creeping me out. I think she hates me. I don't know what to do about her. She's conquering my mind.

Few hours passed, Miyoung and the others were at our table. While we're eating, I asked Miyoung.

"Where are the Kim's?" I asked. "I heard that they have family issues." Chanyeol answered. "But that's not all. I also heard that they'll be gone for 2 weeks." Miyoung added. "It's really strange. They're actually popular but they're acting kinda weird." Joohyun said. "It's not like that. They're popular because they're the wealthiest students here in school." Baekhyun added. 

Then, the conversation got long. I glanced at their table where Minjae used to sit there. I kept on thinking about her. What was that even mean? Do I have feelings for her? Everything's complicated right now. I had a feeling that my heart's getting heavier when I can't see her at school.

During the 2 weeks of the Kim's absences, I feel miserable. It's getting out of hand. Mom and Dad didn't know about this but they made my mood lightened up, so as my friends. 

The 2 weeks were over. When I got in school, I saw Minjae with her brother. I feel happy when I finally saw her. All I need is conversation with her.

I went to class and someone hugged me from behind. It's Miyoung. "Morning, bestfriend!" She said with a huge grin. "Good morning too." I answered. "Hey! Cut it off, Miyoung!" Joohyun pulled Miyoung away from me. "Sorry about her. You already knew her attitude, right?" She asked. "Yeah but I 'm getting used to it." I said. She nodded and went to her desk, same goes with Miyoung. I shooked my head and went towards mine. But then, I saw Minjae staring at me. I glanced at her quickly and sat beside her. I faced at the board, still ignoring her. 

"Hello." She said to me. I'm mentally surprised by her voice. I glanced at her. "I'm sorry. I didn't introduce myself for a couple weeks. I'm Kim Minjae. And you're Lu Han." She said. "Yes." I answered.

"Now, class. Start your work." The teacher announced. I flipped out the papers and checked the following questions. "Can I look first?" I asked. She nodded. Then, I looked at the microscope. We were having pair work, relevant to the different types of mitosis. "It's prophase." I said. "Can I give it a look?" She asked and I let her. "Prophase." She said. "Yeah, like I said." I replied her. 

"By the way, what happened to you during the 2 weeks of absence?" I asked. "You know, family problems. We have some issues at home. But now, we're okay." She answered. She changed the slide and put it on the stage of the microscope. "Can I look?" She asked. "Okay." I said. She looked at the microscope. She's really pretty when focusing. "Anaphase." She said and wrote it to her paper. "Can I?" I asked. She nodded. I looked at the microscope. "Anaphase." I put my shaking hands on my lap. She's right. "Like I said." She grinned at me. It's my first time ever saw her beautiful smile.

Few hours later, the school bell rang. We both got our backpacks and head outside the classroom. "You know what, Lu Han? You should probably teach me on Biology. If you want to." Minjae said. "It's no big deal. Okay." I answered. "Great! I can approach you anytime, right?" She asked. "Sure. I'm always free." I said. And it's official. I'm going to help her. We're going to be great friends. Just friends...

We went to our lockers and stuff our things in there. I closed my locker and approached her. She closed her locker and faced me. I just noticed her eyes. Did it changed color?

"Uh... Minjae?" I asked. "Yes?" She said. "How come your eye color changed? I mean that was supposed to be black. Why did it turned to golden brown.?" I asked again. "Uh... It's a... It's a complication..." She lost her words. She looked on her sides and unexpectedly left with frustration. What just happened to her? I think she's insane. I don't get her.