Game Pieces

The Dragon Couple

Before We Begin: This could be part one of many, just like some of the others. I'll let you know if it's a continuation of something, though.


‘What. A. Jerk.’

As Tora stared up at the high rise building that was home to the person she was visiting, she couldn’t help but wonder if he’d been duping her about how much money he truly had. Shrugging off her suspicions, she adjusted the Gucci sunglasses Tao had gifted her with last month (“Really Tora, you’re supposed to be a socialite!” “I’d rather earn the money I spend. Though I have to admit, these look great on me.”) and crossed the road to the looming cream building that stretched for the sky like a child trying to gather clouds.

The foyer was busy as she stepped inside, attendants and tenants bumping into each other all over the plush carpet areas. Tora clicked over to the reception desk and stood behind an elderly man, who was complaining loudly that he had to wait and that he could die in this queue. Tora wanted to slap him out so she could take his place.

“Next!” The line moved forward slowly, which gave Tora the opportunity to study the foyer. A lot could be told about a building from its entranceway, and judging from this particular entranceway the person she was supposed to be visiting wasn’t telling her everything. She’d already seen the number of notches in his belt, and she refused to be another one.

“Next!” ‘One more person,’ she thought to herself in earnest. The elderly man shouted at the receptionist, who looked like she was about to cry, poor thing.

“N-next…” The elderly man huffed away, clearly annoyed about something or another, so Tora clicked up to the counter and a calm smile. The girl relaxed visibly.

“Hello there. I was wondering if Mr. Wu was at home.” she said. The girl stiffened at the name, rosy twinges appearing in her cheeks. She fidgeted in her place for a few seconds before checking the desk for something.

“He’s not, but he did say that we could take any messages left for him and he would pick them up when he returned.” she replied.

‘What. A. Jerk.’ “In that case, would you please pass this on to him?” From under her arm Tora drew a small box wrapped in postage brown paper, tied with a single strand of brown string. The receptionist accepted the package with shaking hands, raising an eyebrow at the prettily-dressed young woman speaking so courteously to her.

“Certainly, but if I may ask, what is it?” Tora smiled again, a smile so full of secrets that it nearly made the receptionist wet herself out of fear.

“Just inform Mr. Wu that a rather disappointed young woman delivered on her word. He’ll understand what you mean.” As the girl moved to write down what Tora had said, said woma straightened her skirt and swished out of the foyer.

~~

Yifan returned home at eight-thirty, wanting nothing more than to stand under the hot spray of a shower for half an hour to get rid of the smell of desperate businessman. The girls at reception always swooned when he walked past, but one corrected herself much faster than the others.

“This came for you today, sir.” She pulled the wrapped package from underneath the desk and slid it across the polished wood to him. Yifan took the package and raised an eyebrow, “We were informed a rather disappointed woman delivered on her word-” Without waiting to hear the rest of the sentence Yifan dashed to the elevator and waited for the doors to close and the bell to ring before tearing into the paper and ripping off the string. Out tumbled a long red scarf – his long red scarf, tied thrice around the middle with a single length of silver chain. A ladies’ necklace.

“So she likes silver…” he mused as the elevator brought him closer to his floor, “This is definitely turning out to be one interesting game we’re playing, Miss Altona.”


Author's Note: And to think I was going to write Kris as a psycho for the next mind dump...expect that alias later.

-GuardianOfTheDawn :3