Chapter 2

Fate

The next Tuesday, he indeed came to the cafe. It was after all a part of his routines.

But, there was a difference than the days before, he greeted me.

I finally got to sit on the beige sofa in front of his usual seat, and it was actually comfortable. Come to think of it, I had never seen anyone but him touched the sofa before.  

His eyes turned into crescents when he smiled, and I admired him more for his undoubtedly flawless look.

He looked cool, cute, mature, childish, all in the same time.

I thought every men was given only one, or two impressions. But he had them all. So how could opposite images fit perfectly in him?

I then ordered my hot chocolate, and he ordered his beverage. I took note that he ordered cappuccino. Strong type of coffee, but fluffy since there was frothed milk on top of it. See? He loved anything that acted contrast.

We chit-chatted a little about how did we get to the cafe, how long did he waited since I come a bit late. I had to give an extention to my tutoring session since the test-period was coming soon. I would risk my appointments for my students, of course. It was satisfying to see their bright smile when they brought home an A+ on their test paper.

After the act of chivalry, we decided to just move on to the main point of the meeting. The handkerchief.

"So, Jinki-ssi. My handkerchief?" his hand was placed on top of the coffee table, palm facing upwards.

I searched for the small flannel bag in my handbag, where I kept his handkerchief inside. When I took it out, he looked at me with amusement in his eyes.

"Wow, Jinki-ssi, I didn't expect you to treat my property as something so.. gracious."

I giggled slightly as I placed the clean, neatly-folded handkerchief onto his palm.

"Thanks," I said while smiling brightly. I certainly showed my dimples to him. My mood had been so good lately, and it was perhaps caused by the thoughts of the gorgeous boy. I still couldn't believe that I was talking to the human-being I once admired from afar.

I stood up to tidy my slightly folded skirt and took out my wallet to pay for my beverage, but his hand stopped me.

"Please, let me treat you this once. I won't be called a man if I don't act like one," he ushered me back to my seat.

I was still in a state of shock because of the warmth of his hand that made contact with my wrist. Jinki, get normal. Get your damaged brain normal.

"Uhh, thanks. Oh my, I owe you a lot now. How am I going to pay you back?!" I told him as soon as he sat down again.

"Relax, Jinki-ssi. It doesn't matter, really."

"I need to reciprocate," I bit my bottom lip, wondering how to return the favor.

"I am the owner of the cafe actually," he grinned proudly, "it's really okay". Well, that explained the sofa.

"But still-", he stopped my words by raising his palm. He sighed in defeat.

"Okay, since you're so stubborn, then just accompany me here while I'm working."

I thought that wasn't really bad, so I aggreed. At least I had returned the favor. That thing alone was enough.

___________

5 minutes had passed. He had been working on some papers and again, busied by his laptop.

I sat there awkwardly as I really had no idea how to break the ice. Moreover, I was worried if I would disturb his work.

"What are you doing?" He suddenly asked, his concentration was still fixed on the monitor.

"Um.. nothing?"

He scoffed, "you said you want to pay me back, but you did nothing."

"What should I do then??" I asked. It sounded more eager than what I intended. Crap, Jinki, get a hold of yourself.

"Talk."

I tried to find any topic, then I realized something, "what's your name?"

"Huh?"

I shrugged my shoulders, "we've talked so much, but I still don't know your name."

For once he moved his gaze from the gadget, and again the pretty crescents stabbed through my eyes. 

"Hi, I'm Kim Myungsoo," then he looked back to his MacBook, his eyes turned back into the usual, serious, black orbs. No more crescents. Woah, how could someone change so fast?

"There, happy?"

I felt something flutter inside me when I knew his name. So the letters on the handkerchief were indeed his initials.

We chatted about random things a bit, then he asked me about the reason I was late. I told him that I opened an English course for students, pre-schooler to high-schooler. I was still learning at a college so I decided to do it part-time.

"Well, I'd like to get tutored," he teased.

"Who are you kidding with? You read english written books like, a lot," I sipped my no longer hot chocolate then I realized his eyes widened at my remark.

"Wow, you REALLY paid attention to me. That wasn't from the peripheral view. I'm certain of that," now he laughed. He didn't only chuckle, he was laughing hard.

I was banging my head to the coffee table mentally. Me and my mouth that had no filter at all.

I cleared my throat awkwardly, then I checked my phone to keep track of time. Oops, it had reach 6. It means I had to go back home. As much as I enjoyed talking to him, I still had a life to take care of.

I excused myself, and I bowed a couple of time to show him that I really thanked him for everything he did. He still hadn't stop laughing, but he bowed as well. Saying that he thanked me for my company and that he really enjoyed it. I felt relieved that I finally got to thank him properly.

As I approached the exit, I felt really dissapointed, like I wouldn't meet him again. 

And the feeling came true as I was busied on the next Tuesdays by my course's schedules, and the upcoming tests in my college. So there was no more time to drop in the cafe. I passed by the cafe sometimes, though. 

I stopped several times, pretending to look at the cafe menu when I actually stole some glances at him. He was still there, unaffected by my dissappearance, and his looks were still the same. 

It wasn't fate after all, I smiled bitterly, even if it was, the meetings were meant to stop right there.

Realize Jinki, you would forever be a secret admirer. There's no way you could get someone as perfect as him.

Even though I kept reminding myself with those statements, and my own principle that I would never believe such thing as destiny, the little thing was still there, in my heart. A little thing called hope.