Chapter 01

❀ Forbidden Fates - Discontinued

.

Chapter 01

She breathed a sigh of relief as she took her seat behind the counter just in time for her shift, a green apron placed over her school uniform; the durable name tag shined against the lights, highlighting her name. Park Miyoung.

The bell above the door rang as the door swung open. 

"Welcome to Hua Dian," she greeted, pulling on a bright smile. She observed the entering customer; the visitor was rather tall with flowing black hair and piercing eyes. She was dressed in a simple business suit with a matching purse and she had on a pair of fashionable dress shoes that were impossible to walk comfortably in.

"It's Huá Dián," the customer corrected neutrally, her posture precise and clearly superior. "The accents are important to correctly pronouncing the word."

"Huá Dián," Miyoung repeated carefully, graced with a small smile from the female. "Would you like any help today?"

"I'd like a bouquet of white carnations," she answered simply, leaning lightly on the counter. 

"Yes ma'am," Miyoung confirmed, gather the supplies she needed. 

"How many carnations would you like?" she asked the customer, humming lightly to herself.

"Hm...18," the female answered. "Are you working alone? I believed that a couple owned this shop."

"Oh they do," Miyoung answered, cutting the stems and the thorns. "I basically begged for the position. I needed the pay and working with flowers is enjoyable. Besides, I get to try my hand at flower arrangment. It's not a terrible place to work and I love the atmosphere."

"I see," the stranger said slowly. "That's an interesting perspective. Perhaps I should find a job I enjoy just as much."

"I hope you find it soon," Miyoung wished sincerely, presenting the finished bouquet to the female. "Is it to your liking?"

Eighteen white carnations were grouped together nicely, a single red rose in the center for color, and the entire package was accentuated by a red bow and pink tissue paper. 

"It suits my purposes just fine," she stated, pulling out her wallet. "The price?"

"33,000 won," Miyoung answered, finishing up the math in her head. "The red rose is free of charge for decoration."

The customer gave her the exact amount, leaving no need for change. She tucked her wallet back into her purse before pulling out the red rose.

"I do not accept charity," she stated, tucking the bloom behind Miyoung's ear. "But I thank you for the offer. You may keep it if it pleases you. I am Zhang Minjung. Thank you for the bouquet."

The stranger sauntered out, the door swinging open just as she reached it. 

The entering stranger and exiting customer stared at each other, electricity charging the air for some reason she couldn't quite fathom.

"Welcome to Huá Dián," Miyoung squeaked, somehow aware that she was breaking the tense atmosphere. Just as quickly, the customer left, bouquet in hand, and the stranger entered. She was just as tall as the previous customer, with unruly hair and wild but friendly eyes. She wore a comfortable pair of jeans, a simple shirt, and had a backpack slung on her shoulder. 

She smiled.

"I was wondering if the owners were in," she questioned, tilting her head to the side. "I'm not sure if they were expecting me since I came early but I'll wait if I need to."

"They just went on their lunch break," Miyoung informed, glancing to the clock behind her. "They should be back within half an hour."

"Half an hour?" the stranger repeated, smiling toothily. "Alright. Thanks for the information. I'll be back in 30 minutes then. Don't let them leave again and tell them Kyo will be back!" 

She left then, trekking out the door and disappearing as quickly as she appeared. Miyoung breathed a sigh as the woman left, feeling as though a strong force of nature had come and left just as quickly. The bell above the door rang again.

"Welcome to Huá Dián," Miyoung breathed out, straightening up. 

The guest was male, a hoodie and baggy pants hanging off of his skinny figure. He had black hair styled to the side and brown eyes that observed the flowers with mild discomfort. 

"Would you like any assistance?" Miyoung questioned politely, catching his eyes and watching his lips turn up into a sheepish smile.

"I was hoping I could buy a single flower for my girlfriend," he answered, looking less like a cold male and more like an innocent child. "We sort of fought."

"How about a single red rose then?" Miyoung suggested. "It's a classic. If your girlfriend is less girly though, I'd suggest a cream-colored tulip. It means sorry universally. Oh, but for missing a date, pink carnations suit it better. It literally means sorry for forgetting about our appointment."

"A pink carnation then please," he requested, pulling out his wallet. She caught sight of his driver's license. Lim Sungbin. "How much...?"

"7,100 won," Miyoung answered, tying a pink bow on the flower. They exchanged the flower for the money and she handed him his change. "Thank you for your patronage and have a nice day!"

He left, the bell ringing at his exit. She put her head down on the counter, surprised; the shop was usually very empty during the winter.

"Did a female come by? She's probably about this height and she should be looking for the owners," a voice suddenly asked. She shot up, not realizing when someone had entered the shop; perhaps while the previous customer had been leaving?

The guest gestured, making an approximation with his hands. The male was brown-haired and well-built with a pair of glasses perched on his nose. He had on a pair of gym shorts though it was freezing outside and a clinging shirt that peeked out from under his ped jacket.

"She just left," Miyoung answered, tilting her head. "And you are...?"

"Oh I'm Changmin," the male answered, smiling brightly. "Lee Changmin. The owners asked me to keep her in one place but I suppose that's hard. Any-"

The bell rang again.

"Did you find her?" a female asked, sharp eyes and brown curls upon her face. She walked in, snow falling off of her training suit and melting on the floor. 

"Apparently she left," Changmin answered, sighing. The female turned to Miyoung.

"Did she say where she was going?" she asked, authority ringing in her voice.

"Well no, but she said she'd be back in approximately 30 minutes," Miyoung answered, pointing to the left. "She seemed to be heading that way." 

"Thanks for the information," Changmin thanked, smiling. "Come on Feifei. I think I know where she's gone then."

The two left, the bell tolling at their disappearance. And Miyoung sighed. Well wasn't today just so eventful.

  

Do you ever wonder why things have to turn out the way they do?

-Nicholas Sparks (A Walk To Remember)