Chapter 04

❀ Forbidden Fates - Discontinued

.

Chapter 04

Chairs scraped against the floor and the large room was lit with dim lights, the restaurant bustling with activity. She kept an eye out, making sure everything was running smoothly. 

"Your drink," one of the waiters stated, handing her a glass. He was tall, brown hair with brown eyes. She nodded her thanks to the boy - Lee Changsun, one of her newer waiters who had joined only last month. She looked over the restaurant once more, searching out familiar faces.

There was Hyelim and Youngjae in the corner, old-time customers who sought the taste of her establishment once a decade or whenever they were in the neighborhood. Off to the side, Doojoon - that muscle man - was talking with another male, discussing the best ways the build muscle. Kibum...he was newer and not one she normally befriended; he was flamboyant, excessive, and too romantic. 

Footsteps walked to her table. 

"Minjung," the male greeted, giving her a charming grin. 

"Yunho," she stated curtly. "I wasn't aware you had an appointment." off

"Don't say that," he teased, taking a seat smoothly and calling out an order for the house special. "We're old friends aren't we? I've called upon you for a reason." I want a favor

She rolled her eyes.

"I hate talking pleasantries with you. Tell me what you want and make it quick. I'm meeting someone," she stated firmly, discarding the usual circumlocutions their kind had honed over the years. 

"You would think so badly of me?" he gasped, looking to her almost innocently. She raised an eyebrow at him and he chuckled. "Fine. I wanted your assistance in procuring a package. One of my frequent customers has requested and a copy is available in your...jurisdiction."

"Write down the title and provider," she ordered, tossing him a napkin. He smiled.

"I knew I could count on you," he stated victoriously. He pulled out a pen, writing on the parchment. 

"I'll contact you when it's arrived and we'll negotiate then," she informed as he handed the napkin back. She read the information before she placed it in the candleholder, the white turning black as flames consumed it. "Now get out."

"We shall be in frequent contact," he reminded, leaving just as the waiter - Changsun once more - returned with his food. 

"What should I do with this?" the waiter asked carefully, looking to her hesitantly. 

"Just put it down at his seat," she ordered, waving her hand flippantly. He did so and left. 

"Hey Minjung. Why do you look like your pet cat just died?" a familiar voice teased. Minjung looked up, spotting a beautiful woman with long black hair and a cheery smile.  She wore a grey suit with flats rather than heels; she was tall enough. 

"Because a wildcat just passed by," Minjung answered, rolling her eyes. The intruder took a seat. "How has your work been Dari?"

Dari chuckled. 

"It's the same old same old. I'm fighting against society's wrongs one annoying case a a time," Dari joked, picking up a fork and knife to eat. She cut a slice of the meat and took a bite. "My next case is working with Kim Minjun. Again."

"That must be fun," Minjung observed with a half-smirk. 

"As long as I don't feel like ripping his throat out again," Dari reminded, sharing in joyous laughter. "Is Jenny coming?"

"She was. Jungsoo stopped by earlier and he said he's taking her out. Again," Minjung informed. Dari rolled her eyes before taking another bite of the dish. 

"Gosh that girl. She should accept his advances. I wish I'd met a man half as romantic," Dari complained, sighing. 

"We don't need men," Minjung pointed out with a smirk. Dari returned the expression.

"True enough. So what is this dish?" Dari questioned, taking another bite. "Lamb? Pork? It's got a very interesting flavor."

"Even better; it's made with human flesh," Minjung stated casually. Dari froze, staring at her wide-eyed. Minjung chuckled.

"I'm kidding," Minjung revealed, a smirk painting her face once more. "You think I would do something like that?"

"Shut up," Dari complained, taking another bite. "This food better be on you because of that."

"Alright alright," Minjung complied. "As long as you promise not to kill Minjun."

Dari made a face.

"How about this? I pay and you find something out for me instead?" Dari offered. Minjung leaned closer on the table, interested.

"I'm listening," Minjung stated, taking a sip of her drink. 

"I want proof if any embezzlement or bribery is happening on the case I'm working on," Dari requested, taking yet another bite. "If my client goes free, I want it to be because he's innocent or I'm a good lawyer." 

"A name?" Minjung asked. 

"Lee Byunghun and anyone related to his...gang. The local one," Dari muttered in a voice so low only Minjung could hear. 

"I'll have my sources check up on it," Minjung confirmed, looking to the dish. "Want seconds?"

"Thank you, but I have another appointment for my client," Dari reminded, standing. "Thanks for helping me."

"Anytime," Minjung stated, the two parting. Dari stepped outside of the restaurant, spotting a familiar face - a handsome face - amongst the faint light of the streetlamps.

"Hey Sungbin. What are you doing here?" she asked, wrapping her arms around him and greeting him with a kiss.

"I'm here for my lovely lady," he teased as the two began walking down the street. "After all, we have all the time in the world." 

"Well Romeo, you still haven't answered my question," Dari pointed out, their hands lacing together. 

"What? I can't walk my girlfriend to her meeting when it's dark out?" he questioned, smiling boyishly. 

"Not when my partner is coming to pick me up," she replied. "And he's human."

"Fine. I just wanted to sneak a few kisses before the meeting," he answered, chuckling. He pecked her on the lips. "Happy?" 

She pulled him closer, their lips meeting longer than before; no one was there to see.

"I'm flattered," she stated, chuckling. A car turned the corner. "Now hurry up and go. Everyone at work is convinced I'm aual and I want to keep it that way." 

"See you tonight," he reminded with a wink, walking down the street. He met eyes with the one in the car - his lover's current partner and another, the client most likely. 

He whistled a tune as he continued down the street. 

"Are you Lim Sungbin?" an unfamiliar voice questioned. He turned to the stranger, tilting his head. 

"That'd be me," he answered simply. "And you two are...?"

"Partners in crime," the same male stated, smirking. "Well we aren't usually partners but we teamed up for this one."

"Look boys. I'm just heading home and I don't want any trouble. Do you want my wallet?" Sungbin offered, holding out the object. 

"Nah. What else do you think we might have come for?" the first questioned playfully, pulling something out from behind his back. Sungbin's eyes went to it, watching it uncoil and hit the ground with a resounding snap.

"Stop playing around," the second declined, hands going to the pouches on her leg. 

"Fine fine you killjoy," the male sighed. Sungbin dropped his wallet, recognizing finally what was going on, and he tensed, pulling himself into a fight-or-flight position. 

"We came, Lim Sungbin, for your life."

Last Touched: December 2014

 

  

It is one of the blessings of old friendship that you can afford to be stupid with them.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson