Prologue

❀ Forbidden Fates - Discontinued

.

Prologue

His fingers tapped against the wood of the table, the random beat masking his anxiety. He saw signs of their approach before they truly arrived. Birds flew away from the trees, cawing indignantly at the intrusion from the east while crying warnings out of fear from the west. A bunny hopped in front of him out of the brush and jumped back in as they arrived.

Dust rose at one's entrance while the other paused, the distinct rustle of clothes heard before both came into view. 

They were both as enchanting and as young as he remembered them despite the years that plauged his being. He gave the two a cordial smile and gestured to the chairs in front of him. It was a reunion to behold, but he simply mourned that if only reminiscing was what they gathered to do. 

The dying sunlight illuminated the table between the three chairs, a single parchment and small knife set on its surface. 

The two females shared looks with each other before sitting down, both a fair distance from him and the other. 

"Thank you for coming," he stated finally. "This is a final copy of the treaty. All that's left is to sign it."

"With blood," the one on the right added slowly, looking hesitant. 

"And after?" the female on the left questioned, raising an eyebrow. He drew in a breath.

"You both know our limited options. We shall never be able to interact again except in a professional setting," he reminded, giving them wry grins. "It'll be the end of our...relationship."

"I will miss you both," the left female admitted, her eyes turning to the changing sky. "It seems like just yesterday we were running through these very fields."

"Well, like how the fields have turned to forest, my age has also grown considerably," he teased, watching laughter light their faces. "I shall miss you both as well. Thank you for the wonderful memories."

He picked up the blade, holding it to his thumb.

"And goodbye."

  

Intense love does not measure, it just gives.

-Mother Teresa