An Unhappy Ending

Unspoken I Love Yous

“I can’t believe Joy walked in on you and Irene.” Jihoon laughed.

Although Zuny was embarrassed she let Jihoon have his fun. She hadn’t heard a heartfelt laugh from him in such a long time that it was worth his relentless teasing.

“I can’t believe Wendy likes you.” She shot back.

Jihoon just nodded, a small smile on his face. His phone beeped and Zuny habitually picked it up to check.

“It’s from Ashley.”

Jihoons grip on the steering wheel tightened. “What does it say?”
“Come home.”

“That’s it?”

“Yeah.”

“Odd.”

The ride was silent until Zunys phone beeped and Jihoon had a guess at who it was when her eyes went wide.

“Is Irene my girlfriend?”

“I’m sorry?”

“She said she doesn’t do… you know… with just anyone. Is she being serious?”

“Irene is a tough girl and if you can make her your girlfriend I will applaud you.”

Jihoon and Zuny arrived back at their apartment. When they walked in Sojung was sitting on the couch. Her head snapped in Zuny and Jihoons direction as soon as they entered.

“Zuny come sit with me.”

Jihoon furrowed his eyebrows in confusion. Then he figured Sojung did it so that he could speak with Ashley alone, which only made him nervous. He padded down the hallway until he reached Ashleys bedroom. The door was shut and this was the first time since they had all moved in together that he knocked.

“Come in.” Was the muffled reply he received.

He opened the door and walked into the bedroom jumping on the bed. It was then that he noticed that Ashley was packing suitcases.

“Going somewhere?” He asked.

“Actually yes.”

Jihoon immediately sat up. “Where?”

“Home.”

“You are home…”

“To my family Jihoon.”

“How long?” He asked.

“For good.”

Jihoon felt his heart stop. Ashley was moving back to the states? How could she leave Sojung and Zuny? How could she leave everyone she knew here? How could she leave him? He stood from the bed and walked over to the older girl, stopping her from placing another thing in her suitcase.

“Why?”

His voice cracked and Ashley couldn’t bring herself to meet his eyes.

“My family is there. I miss them. I’ve been here long enough. Sojung and Zuny can take care of themselves now. I’m not their leader anymore. There’s nothing left here for me to do.”

Jihoon blinked hard trying to stop his tears from falling.

“Ash, I…” His brain worked overtime to try and find the words he was looking for. “What about me? Ash, I need you.”

Ashley took a deep breath and looked up. She immediately wished she hadn’t. Jihoon looked so hurt, so broken. She put on her best smile and placed a hand on his shoulder.

“You don’t need me. You do just fine without me while I’m here. You’ll be just fine without me when I’m gone. My flight is tomorrow morning. I hope you’ll come see me off.”

Her hand fell and she went back to packing her things. Jihoon was frozen, still trying to process what had just transpired. He walked over to the door but paused and looked at Ashley one more time.

“I won’t be okay without you.” He whispered.

Ashley heard his words and her heart shattered. She turned to comfort the boy but he had already vanished. Jihoon stormed past Zuny and Sojung faster than they could stop him. Ashley had come running out of her room but all she saw was Sojung and Zuny staring at the empty hallway outside of their apartment.

--------------------------------

Jihoon was lost; no Jihoon was more than lost. He was seemingly wandering aimlessly around the city but it appears his subconscious brought him somewhere familiar. When he realized where he was he sprinted up the stairs of the apartment complex, ignoring the elevator in an effort to clear his mind as he continued to run. He stopped in front of the doorway momentarily to catch his breath before knocking. A few minutes later a very disoriented Wendy opened the door.

“Jihoon? What are you doing here? It’s late. Why are you sweating? It’s freezing outside.”

“I’m sorry.” Was the only thing he managed to get out before crashing his lips against hers.

Wendy was surprised to say the least but she didn’t object. Jihoon kicked the door shut as he invaded the girls’ apartment. It had been a few years since the Red Velvet members had lived together so he knew she’d be alone. He picked the shorter girl up with ease and Wendy instinctively wrapped her legs around his waist. He found his way to her bedroom and fell with her onto the bed. A million thoughts were racing through Wendys mind, mostly questions as to why he was here and what was wrong, but her normally coherent brain couldn’t focus at all. Her hands gripped the bed sheets as Jihoon kissed down her neck, between her s and onto her toned stomach. It was only downhill from there, literally and figuratively.

--------------------------------

Ashley would be lying if she said she wasn’t worried. It was already 1am and Jihoon had yet to return. He hadn’t answered her calls, his phone was somewhere on the floor of Wendys apartment but Ashley didn’t know that. Jihoon had never not come home and Ashley was pacing around the living room nervously.

“He’ll come back eventually Ashley. Just relax.” Sojung tried to reassure her.

“Relax?! He’s not here. I don’t know where he is. He won’t answer my calls or my texts. What if something happens to him?!” Ashley yelled.

“Uh… Ashley? What are you going to do when you go back to the US? You won’t be able to keep tabs on him anymore.” Zuny interjected making both Sojung and Ashley look at her.

“I…” She started but couldn’t find the words.

“Look he’ll come back. He always comes back. It’s not like he won’t see you off at the airport tomorrow. He loves you Ashley. He won’t let you go without saying goodbye.” Sojung reasoned. “I think he just needs a little time. We should all get some rest. We have to be up early tomorrow.”

Ashley climbed into her bed but she couldn’t sleep. She didn’t have Jihoon and it was now that she realized she couldn’t sleep without him. Zuny was right. What was she going to do when she went back to the US?