The Boxes

Unspoken I Love Yous

“What do you mean I’m welcome?” Zuny asked as she followed Jihoon inside the apartment. “You didn’t do anything. I didn’t do anything! I just stated an obvious fact.”

“I told you. Being yourself is your most attractive quality.” He replied taking a seat next to Sojung on the couch.

“He’s right you know.” Ashley said coming out of the kitchen wiping her hands on a dishtowel. “Just be yourself Zuny and everyone will love you. I know I do. Jihoon does too, right Jihoon?”

“Of course. She’s our baby.” He said ruffling Zunys hair.

“There are two major things wrong with that statement.” Sojung interjected. “One, the two of you are the same age. You’re only older by a few months. Second, if she was ‘our’ baby that would imply you had a baby with one of us, which thanks but not thanks. I’ve seen your escapades. I don’t want to be apart of that.”

“Regardless of any of that he always comes home.” Ashley reasoned.

“Yeah… to sleep in your bed… with you. How nice.” Sojung scoffed heading to her bedroom.

“Don’t mind her.” Ashley said going back into the kitchen.

“Why do you do that?” Zuny asked.

“I don’t like to sleep alone.”
“Not to poke a hole in your logic but you have tons of women. Why Ashley?”

Jihoon shrugged and Zuny decided not to pry any further on account of how uncomfortable the young man looked. Jihoon stood and disappeared down the hallway without another word.

“Dinner is ready… Where’d he go?”

“Bedroom.”

“Don’t you start one wording me too.” Ashley groaned. “Go get Sojung.”

Zuny did as she was told while Ashley went to her own bedroom. She found Jihoon face down in the sheets on her bed.

“Dinner.”

“I’m not hungry.”

Ashley sighed taking a seat next to Jihoon.

“Look I know you’re still hurting and I’m not saying you have to get over what happened, because everyone deals with grief in their own way, but please don’t shut the world out Jihoon. I will not watch you do that again…. Now then, collect yourself and come out to dinner. If I have to come back in here I will end you.” She said flashing a bright smile.

Jihoon laughed. He knew Ashley was nothing to be afraid of but he didn’t want to upset her either. He rolled over onto his back and stared at the ceiling. His hands went to his face, rubbing his tired eyes. He stood and went to his own room, rummaging through his drawers until he found what he was looking for. He pulled out two boxes, one dark grey and one navy blue. He opened the navy blue box and found two silver bands, one visibly smaller than the other. He gave a small smile before packing the box back away in its spot. He looked at the dark grey box nervously, cautiously snapping it open.

“What are you doing?” Zuny asked leaning on the doorframe.

Jihoon panicked, shutting the box and hiding it behind his back as he turned around to face the younger girl.

“Nothing.”

“What’s behind your back?”

“A box.”

“What’s in the box?”

“My ring.”

Zuny raised an eyebrow curiously as if she wasn’t completely sure what he was talking about.

“Couple rings.”

Zuny stood straight. “You kept them?”

“Yes.”

“Ashley sent me to get you.” Zuny cleared awkwardly as she tried to change the subject.

“I’m coming.”

“Just hurry up before she gets mad.”

“She won’t. She never does.”

“Not at you…” Zuny mumbled as she left, making Jihoon smirk.

He turned back to his dresser reopening the dark grey box. Instead of the two rings he had told Zuny about it held a single diamond ring.

“Someday.” He sighed, putting it back into his drawer and heading to the kitchen.

“What took you so long?” Ashley asked.

“I had to check on something.” He replied.