Goodbye

Unspoken I Love Yous

“Are you ready?” Zuny asked as she put Ashley’s suitcase on the scale.

Ashley didn’t respond. She was too busy looking around for Jihoon.

“Unnie?” Zuny nudged her.

“He’s not coming is he?”

“You still have a little while before you have to board. He wouldn’t let you leave without saying goodbye.” Sojung reassured her.

Ashley wanted to believe her but she couldn’t. Jihoon didn’t come home last night. No matter how many times they had had a disagreement he would always come back, but this time he didn’t. Ashley sat down in a nearby chair and started to reminisce. Her mind traveled back to the first time she officially met Jihoon. They had both been casted for a reality show and Ashley was nervous considering it was her first time being a permanent guest on a show since her debut only a month prior. She didn’t say much, only talking when the MC asked her a question. Most of the other members were her seniors and did not pay any attention to her, but Jihoon was different.

“You’re Ashley right?” He asked in fluent English.

“Uh, yeah. You speak English?”

“I was born in Boston.” He laughed. “How are you adjusting?”

“It’s definitely different from New York.”

“Yeah, I know what you mean… Are people treating you alright?”

“A lot of people don’t like foreigners…”

She trailed off and Jihoon knew exactly how she felt.

“I feel you. I got a lot of hate in the beginning for not understanding and for not looking the typical idol way.” He said pointing towards his eyes.

It was the first time that Ashley noticed that the young man had green eyes.

“They made me wear brown contacts until we finished our debut promotions.”

“That’s awful. You have no control over your eye color.”

“It got better. People are more accepting of me now that I’ve been around for a while.”

“I haven’t met someone who understands me so well.”

“We gotta stick together.” He smiled. “Let me know if anyone bothers you. I’ll take care of them.”

“I’ll do that.” Ashley laughed.

The two of them became close rather quickly due to their similarities and understanding of each other. The media threw them into scandal after scandal trying to prove that they were dating because of how close they were and how affectionate they were towards each other. Of course the media couldn’t prove it because they weren’t together. In the beginning Ashley thought they were being ridiculous, pairing the two of them together, but as she continued the show with him she could see what they meant. Jihoon was charming there was no doubt about that and Ashley was soon quite enamored with the young man. Unfortunately Ashley never got the chance to tell him how she felt.

“Are you sure your members will like me?” Jihoon asked nervously.

“Why wouldn’t they? Relax. You’re meeting my members not my parents.” Ashley laughed.

“You said these girls are like your family. It’s close enough.”

Ashley shook her head and dragged the young man inside her dorm. The four other members were sitting in the living room seemingly awaiting their leaders arrival.

“Girls, this is my friend Jihoon.”

The four girls looked at the young man expectantly and Ashley had to nudge him to get him to speak.

“Uh, Hi.”

“Aw, you’re so cute! Don’t be nervous. We don’t bite.” Risae smiled brightly.

One of the girls jumped to her feet and shook Jihoons hand excitedly.

“I’m Zuny. I heard we’re the same age. Lets be friends okay?”

“Sounds good to me.” He smiled making his eyes disappear.

“Wow… You are super cute.” Risae praised shooting off an eye-smile of her own.

“T-Thank you. You’re very pretty Risae Noona.” He blushed making Ashley raise an eyebrow.

“Excuse you.”

“Comon Ash, I already told you that you’re the best.” He said in a panic.

“So are you dating our leader?” Eunb questioned.

Jihoon nearly choked on his own spit at her question.

“Eunb what did I say?” Ashley warned.

“What? I just want to know the truth. You guys look cute together.”

“Really?”

Jihoon cocked his head to the right slightly and looked Ashley up and down.

“Yah! She said we look good together not just me.”

“Well you look better than me.” He teased.

“Stop that.” Ashley said whacking his arm.

“You two are suspicious… I’ll be keeping my eye on you.” Sojung finally spoke startling Jihoon.

“We’re not together.” Ashley confirmed against her better judgment.

She didn’t know it at the time but Jihoon was just as in love with her as she was with him. Her statement only discouraged him from confessing because he thought she only saw him as a friend. Because of their miscommunication Ashley was to late too confess.

“Unnie?”

Ashley looked up and found Risae sitting on the edge of her bed staring at her.

“What’s up?”

“Would it be okay if I asked Jihoon on a date?”

Ashleys mind shut down. What did she just say? Ashley blinked.

“Uh…”

“It’s okay if you don’t want me too but I just figured since you two don’t have a thing I could see him. I think he’s cute.” She blushed.

“Ah… No, Risae it’s fine. Like you said we don’t have a thing so go for it.”

“Thanks Ashley!” Risae grinned hugging her leader tight.

Ashley forced a smile as Risae disappeared from their shared room.

And that’s how it started. Jihoon and Risaes love affair. Ashley couldn’t really complain. She hadn’t told him how she felt, and she had agreed to Risae going out with him. Besides, as much as it hurt her she couldn’t deny that the two were a perfect match. That didn’t stop her from loving him though. She just kept her feelings to herself. Jihoon was with Risae right till the end and even after all these years Ashley couldn’t bring herself to admit her feelings. She felt as if she was betraying her best friend for loving him.

“Unnie? You’re going to miss your flight if you don’t get going.” Zuny said waking Ashley from her trance.

“I’m sorry Ashley. I really thought he would come.” Sojung huffed. “That idiot.”

“It’s okay. He’s hurt…” Ashley hugged Zuny and Sojung. “Be good and keep in touch.”

Ashley bid her goodbyes and looked around one last time. Jihoon was not coming.