Chapter 7

Exchange

          People were leaving the gym as the game came to an end. I caught a glimpse of Hanbin in his gym uniform before the guys went into the locker room to change. He came out a few minutes later; his hair wet, probably from a brief shower. From afar I saw Seul approaching him. She hugged him for a while before letting go. Hanbin’s face glowed; he smiled, the aura around him was full of happiness that made me…mad? More like jealous. Being a girl I am, I walked out of the gym. Seul never touch Hanbin before, and he was okay with girls hugging him like that? Ok…so I don’t own him, but my girlfriend instinct told me that hug was more than a congratulation hug.

          I totally forgot about the talent show, and I guess Hanbin missed it cause of his game. I changed into my team uniform before meeting with my class for the last event. The sun was setting but the sky was still an orange hue. “So did Hanbin win?” Bobby asked when I took my place next to him.

          “Uh huh,” I answered vaguely.

          “What’s wrong?”

          “Nothing. He actually did great,” I beamed a fake smile at him. I felt his gaze on me. His eyes said he did not believe a single word. The other class gathered a few feet away. I saw Hanbin and Seul on the corner of my eyes. They didn’t even look over my way. Ugh…what’s going on?

          “Okay guys, get into your places. We’re going to win this, alright?” our leader asked.

          “Yes!” I said loudly. I don’t care what’s going on between those two but my class is going to win this.

          The event was set up similar to a baton race. Each class selects five members, who then gets ready at their starting point. The obstacles are placed in the center of the dirt soccer field while the last course is for the 5th person to run the borders of the field to the finishing line. To make the event fair; since my class had more guy participants, I was chosen to run the borders.

          The crowd roared from the concrete bleachers. I felt excitement crawled up my spine. I was ready for this, the last event. The coach blew the whistle and the game began. My class sped pass the first three obstacles with ease, while Hanbin’s class lagged behind. Hm, I smirked. This was going to be easier than I thought. Bobby was in possession of the baton now; he was a few feet ahead of Hanbin. He bent his back to get pass the horizontal pole but he kept falling because he was too tall. Hanbin caught up to him and attempted the same pole. Because Hanbin’s height was shorter than Bobby’s, he quickly walked under it and handed it to Seul. “Come on Jiwon!” I yelled. Now that I think about it, I haven’t called him by his real name for a while. He handed me the baton and I ran. I ran like I’ve never ran before. I was two steps behind her. Give me a break; she’s an athlete while the only sport I’ve played was family badminton. I was no match for her when it comes to running. But I was furious. Why was she hugging my boyfriend like that?

          “Seul Seul Seul Seul,” the steady chant came from one side of the field, mostly high-pitched voices from girls. A mixture of husky tones growled, “Baek. Su. Min.” repeatedly. Ever since words spread stating my relationship with Hanbin, the girls placed a wall between me and them. Their kindness flowed more towards Seul while I receive mine from Hanbin’s friends. Seul and I ran side by side. She faced me, looking almost apologetic. I felt my eyes stabbing daggers at her. What a bad trait to have, I can’t tame my hot-temper and being easily jealous. Her speed dropped slightly. If you weren’t running next to her, you wouldn’t notice the change. Without any question I sped up and took the winning title. Bobby rushed over to say his cheers. I jumped into his embrace because I was in the moment. The taste of victory was so sweet. Bobby’s internal heat pressed against my chest as the wind speed began to pick up. “Good job. You were amazing,” he squeezed me.

          “Hah, thank you. I tried,” trying to breathe. He finally let go after our class gathered around me. Chants from our class and the audience echoed throughout the field. A flashback of Seul’s expression appeared in my head. I zoned out everything and searched for her with my eyes. Hanbin hooked an arm around Seul’s neck, teasing her. They were smiling. I read his lips, “Cheer up.” Her arm shyly wrapped itself around his waist.

          What. Is. Happening. No, I don’t even want to think about it. I just won, my class just won. “Karaoke tonight! I’m paying for all,” the leader of our team said. “Whoo! Woot woot! Yess~” our class cheered.