Chapter 1

Exchange

              Layout of the house: 


                First meetings are always awkward. Everyone is either smiling in silence or giving each other unsure glances. That’s what I’m experiencing right now. My parents volunteered to take in a friend’s son for a couple of months so now he’ll be living with us. His name is Kim Jiwon. He is 18 years old, one year older than me. “Hello,” his bows were low, “nice to meet you. Please take care of me,” he extended his hand. He shook dad’s hands first, then mom, and then mine. A firm grip was what I received. He gave off an energetic feel and he’s been smiling for the last five minutes we’ve met. His smile was cute, especially when his eyes seemed closed.

                “Wow, look at you! You’ve grown so tall,” Mom squeezed his arms and patted his back. Her ways of checking a person out always embarrassed me.

                “How are you doing kiddo?” Dad also seemed to approve of his grown image.

                “I’m great! Thank you for taking me in,” again, that smile of his. So cute.

                “This is your first time seeing her, right?” Mom pulled me closer to him, a cue for me to introduce myself.

                “Hi. My name is Baek Sumin,” I lowered my upper body.

                “Ah, please take care of me,”

                On the way home my brain calculated how I felt about him. First impressions are always important and I’m getting a good vibe from him so far. Though, his style threw my off a bit. He wore a camo snapback, thick framed glasses, long-sleeves grey shirt which he pulled up to his elbows, and flimsy black pants that appear to sag a lot. I mentally cringe at the sight of sagging. It’s such a big no-no for me. But why should I care so much, it’s not like he’s my boyfriend.

                I glanced at him and found him looking deeply out the window. I bet he missed his home. Or maybe he’s the type who wouldn’t mind being away from his parents.

                “We’re here!” mom sang excitedly from the front. I hope he doesn’t judge us. What if we’re too poor for him? People from overseas are pretty rich right? I’m always sensitive about what people think of me. “Sumin, go up first and prepare the rice for dinner,” mom said as she help unload the trunk. Our house is on the 18th floor with three bedrooms, two bathrooms, a small restroom, living room, and a kitchen with a dining area attached.

                Eggs and rice were the only things I could make that end up being edible. I guess I have to be extra careful from now on, since Jiwon is here. For some reason I feltl like I had to impress him…

                “Whoa, this place is nice,” Jiwon set down his luggage and took in the view in front of him. I felt a breeze of relief; at least he’s satisfied with the place.

                “Isn’t it nice?” dad said from behind. “You room is here,” he said as he turn left. “This one on the left,” The men disappeared into the room.

                “Isn’t he cute?!” I jumped from the sudden comment from mom.

                “Eh, he’s alright,” I said nonchalantly.

                “Did you clean the bathroom? Since you guys are sharing it from now on, make sure you clean after yourself,” My eyes lit up. ! I dashed to the bathroom and locked the door.  As I predicted; facial cleanser, tooth brush, tooth paste, dental floss, combs, and brushes scattered around the sink. I made the place fresh and new within seconds; then opened the door and there was Jiwon waiting outside.

                “Oh, I’m sorry,” I stepped out.

                “It’s okay, “he grinned before closing the door.

                I dreaded the awkward dinner that was about to start. The empty spot in front of me is now filled. One slice of meat after another entered my mouth. Umm, so good. Yes, wrapping it with lettuce taste even better. Every time I look up after placing food in my mouth, I would see him. His smirk says “you’re pretty good at eating”.  His reactions were positive. “Your seasoning is similar to my mother’s,” he said. His eyes were sad. He was homesick.

                The moon took its place in the sky. Dad was dead asleep. I peeked my head into Jiwon’s room since I heard mom’s voice from inside. “Oh don’t be shy, wear whatever you want,” she stood in an angle, blocking my view to his torso. At the sight of me he quickly wraps his arms around his chest. Mom turned around, revealing the shirtless Jiwon. “Hey! You should’ve knocked,” My head was out of the room before she could say anything else. I dashed to my bedroom and dropped myself onto the bed. Damn. He has a nice body. I should not feel guilty for thinking such thing. I bet any girl in my situation would think the same. Just then a short tone rang from my phone.

New Message.

                KHB❤ (9:30 p.m.): How’s the new guy?

That text brought me back to reality. I shouldn’t be drooling over some random guy; I have a boyfriend.