Chapter 3

Exchange

                “Bobby this is Seul. Seul, Bobby,” I introduced the two. They both nervously bowed at the sight of the opposite . The guys were ahead of us after Seul pulled me back to her. “He’s cute and he seems nice. I’m so jealous you get to live with him,” she whined.

                “Go get him,” I laughed. “I have Hanbin,” At that time I was honest. I would never dump Hanbin for Bobby; he’s just a guy I met for a day.

                “You sure? You can’t take it back,” her voice was more serious than I expected. We jogged up to them; I was on Hanbin’s side while Seul was by Bobby. I got excited at the thought of a double date. Since Hanbin and Seul’s class was at the opposite side of the building, I walked Bobby to the office to get his schedule.

                “So you’re in Mr. Han’s class; that’s right down the hall from mine. I’ll come to your room after school so we can walk home together,” I felt weird saying that but it was necessary. We both know he doesn’t know his way home yet.

                “SUMIN WAIT,” the yell of a lady who’s usually quiet made us stopped in our tracks. She panted for a while before handing me a slip of paper.

                 I stared at her red face, “What is this?”

                “There was a mistake on that schedule,” she took in a deep breath before talking again, “He’s in Mrs. Ja’s class.” There was a pause before she continued,” You guys walk fast.” The one-minute bell rung,” Hurry! You’ll be late for class. NO RUNNING,” she reminded.

                We safely set foot in the classroom before the last bell rung. “Tsk-tsk-tsk. That was a close one,” Mrs. Ja shook her head. “Oh my. OH MY, is that who I think it is?” She quickly walked to the door and took Bobby, who stood behind me, to the front of the classroom. “You’re the transferred student from the States!” I mentally rolled my eyes. This lady is so ist.

               We sat at the opposite sides of the classroom. I check on him every now and then but I think he fits in just fine. I didn’t expect that many girls would swarm him. I got up after the lunch bell rung and walked to where he sat. “So your name is Bobby? Can I call you oppa?” I overheard the typical cute-girl-flirting-technique. All he did was smile and nod, as if he couldn’t talk. Maybe he was annoyed? Ay, Bobby doesn’t seem like the type who hides his feelings.

               “Um…Bobby.” My voice was always quiet in school, especially around strangers. He looked up right away to the direction of the voice. The girls paused their question and made their way to the side so he could see me. “Lunch?”

              “Yeah. Let’s go!” He stood up excitedly and was out the door before I was.

             “What was that? Do they know each other?”

             “I think so, since they walked in together this morning.”

             “But isn’t she dating Hanbin? What is she doing with Bobby?”

And the rumors begin. I don’t mind if people know about Bobby living with me; but since I know they’ll make up some dramatic story, I prefer not to tell them.

             “Sumin! Bobby! Over here,” Seul waved from the empty table.

             “Where’s Hanbin?”

             “I don’t know but I saw him walking to the back with some girl.”

Hm. I took a bite of my bread before gulping down my milk. Hanbin was always popular among girls and guys, so I’m not surprised if the girl he went with wanted to confess to him. Although everyone knows he and I are dating, girls still try to make an attempt on him. Did I not match with him? My grades are better than his; he’s better than me at sports. We’re both secretive about our feelings. He’s really good at keeping a stoic face under certain situations. We’re opposite in a way but also similar.

            “Did you know they’re together (dating) Bobby?” Seul questioned.

He nodded before he said, “I figured that out this morning,” I just smiled in response.

            “Hey guys,” Hanbin approached the table with a smile. He’s not the type who smiles a lot, so when he does it always warm me up.

            “Ya, I think you have some explaining to do,” Seul shook her head over to me.

           “What? What did I do?” Hanbin sat down next to me.

           “Seul I don’t mind it at all. It’s okay,” I bit into the bread.

           “You’re not curious but I am,” she turned to Hanbin, “so, who was that girl you were walking with?” I felt Hanbin’s eyes on me. I stared at my milk before taking another drink. I know we’re dating and everything but that doesn’t mean he can’t talk to other girls and I can’t talk to other guys. Our relationship was chill like that. I could see Hanbin’s square smile from the corner of my eyes.

           “Sumin’s jealous?” he asked Bobby and Seul.

When I looked up to see they response, I saw heads nodding.

           “Attention everyone! Here is a reminder that we will have a festival coming up soon and it is opened to the public. Every day after school this week, we will prepare for it. Please stay in your homeroom for farther instructions. As a tradition, we will have the talent show at the end of the festival. We hope to see your excitement and support!” After the announcement was made, the lunchroom roared with excitement. People conversed about what they will show off at the talent show.

           “You should rap this year,” I whispered to him. He smiled but shook his head.

           “Sumin, me and you should do a dance,” Seul suggested excitedly. “Bobby, are you going to do anything?”

          “Dance? Rap?” He smiled confidently.

          “Whoa!” I tapped Hanbin’s arm,” You guys could do a battle.” For the first time ever, I was looking forward to the fall festival.