Chapter 5

Exchange

            My heart raced. What’s going on? I asked myself although I had an idea what was going to happen. His eyes put me in a trance. The distance between us shortened. He smiled, forming slim dimples, a sight which was rare to see. Our faces were inches from each other, “I’m hungry,” he whispered.

What?

What?

I was dumbfounded. I really thought he would kiss me; I felt no shame to my feeling of disappointment. He got me all worked up for nothing. I pulled out of his right arm, which was gently hooked around my neck, “go find something to eat, and hurry; we’ll be late.”

“Oh? Why is your face so red?”

Does he really not know? His tease frustrated me. I couldn’t be angry when he’s sitting on his bed shirtless and staring at me innocently. Also, why should I be angry? Ugh. It’s not like I wanted that kiss. Whatever.

“It’s hot in here,” I got off the bed and left his room fanning my hands, pretending I was hot.

I heard the faucet turn and water blasted from the showerhead. I waited for him in the kitchen but after a while, I walked to him room. “Hurry up Hanbin. We’re going to miss the bus,” I said while knocking gently on the door. The sound of running water stopped. After a few minutes of silence the door opened. Steam flowed out of the attached bathroom. Hanbin was wrapped in a body size towel. “Pwahaha!” I quickly clutch my belly and pointed at him. “I was expecting a hot image but you look so funny!” I continued to laugh.

            “You said we would miss the bus. Get out so I can change,” he said in a rush. He stopped in his tracks and turned to me, “I have no abs; stop imagining things. Dirty thoughts are bad for your health,” he smirked.

            “Uh. What?!” I threw his uniform at him,” hurry up.” I shut the door after leaving. We ran to the bus stop and arrived just in time. He asked me what was inside the bag; I opened the bag, revealing papers for school. He didn’t seem interested anymore.

“Hanbin! Happy Birthday!” Seul yelled when we met up with her and Bobby.

“Did you get lost getting here?” I spoke to Bobby.

“Oh yeah, I met Seul on the way. Did you give it to him?” Bobby scooted closer to him when he asked. I smiled shyly and shook my head.

“Here’s your present,” Seul handed Hanbin’s favorite brand of chocolate.

“Thank you,” he politely bowed to the older girl. “You have great taste in chocolate,” he smiled brightly. Seul exult a kind laugh before saying “you’re welcome.” She shyly covered after smiling for a long time. She seemed to really liked Hanbin’s compliment. I never thought about her reaction because she was like that since the beginning.

“Oppa! Happy Birthday!” An underclassman came up to him and gave him a box of chocolate. What is this, Valentine’s Day? He gave them his expressionless smile and thanked them.

Lunch time arrived. I took the cake and lunchbox out of the bag and headed to the lunchroom with Bobby. “You also made him lunch? Lucky~” he eyed the lunch box. We spotted Seul and Hanbin in the lunch room; as if he felt our stare, he turned around and spotted us. I controlled my excitement while walking up to the table. After sitting down next to him, I open the cardboard box, revealing the cake. “Happy Birthday,” I beamed. He had a small gap in between his lips, his eyes sparkled an awed expression. “Whoa,” he finally said. “Did you buy that?” he said while looking at me.

“Nooo. I tried so hard last night not to mess it up but Bobby helped so it turned out better than I expected,” I said in embarrassment. For a split second, I could see a change in his eyes. Was it not special anymore because Bobby helped? No, Hanbin isn’t that type who cares about that stuff.

“Read the text on the edge,” Bobby pointed out.  Hanbin mouthed the words before lifting a shy smile. So…isn’t this the part when we hug or something? No. We just sat there awkwardly before Seul started to cut the cake.

“Oppa,” I whispered to Hanbin, “I made you lunch also.” I revealed the lunch box. He spread his lips upward before revealing his teeth in a smile. “Thank you,” he said it so only I could hear it. The shy side of him was nice to see since he’s always calm and stoic.

That night I was in Bobby’s room when I received a text—

KHB (9:30 p.m.): Can you come meet me for a second?

Me: This late? Is there something wrong? Ok, bus stop.

KHB (9:33 p.m.): Alright, see you.

“Uh…I’m going to go buy more milk. I think we’re low on milk,” I lied to Bobby. “Keep thinking of lyrics and tell me what you have when I get back,” I rushed out of the room before he could say anything. My legs were eager and curious so I arrived at the bus stop in record time. He was already there when I arrived. “What’s up?”

            “Ya, you didn’t even put on a jacket. It’s chilly out here,” he scolded.

            “I thought you were dying or something,” I said dramatically. He smiled and began to walk; I followed him in silence. After a while I finally spoke,” where are we going?”

            “I don’t even know,” we stopped at an empty area in the park. Tall trees covered the street lights making the place dark and eerie.

            “Hey…you’re not going to do something to me are you?” I half-heartedly joked. He closed the distance between us and laid his hands on my shoulders before bending down to match my eye level.

            “Shouldn’t you yell about now?” he went along with the joke. I stood there, frozen. Unable to think or move my body, I stared at him.