Chapter 6

Exchange

                ~Just another boy, just another boy, just another boy, boy, boy, ~ the ringtone jingled. “It’s my mom.” I backed a few steps away.

                “Are you still in the store? Can you get me bread also?”

                “Yeah. Uh huh, okay. I’ll be home in a few,” I tapped the end button.  “I’ll see you tomorrow,” I lifted my hand into a wave. He held it in mid-air and lightly swung it from side to side.

                “Noo,” he pouted. I exert a quick breath of air and smiled. “Thank you for the cake and lunch today,” he smiled widely.

                “Is that why you called me out here for, just to say that?” my eyebrows furrowed.

                “Yeah. Why? Are you mad?” he slyly close the distance between us and embraced me. My arms naturally wrapped his back. The warmth from his body felt good contrast to the blowing wind.

                “Aw, my Hanbin’s all grown up now,” I teased.

                “Don’t worry, we’ll grow old together,” he said. I nuzzled my face into the side of his neck.

                “Hey,” I slowly peeled him off, “I have to go.” After a quick contemplation in my head, I gave him a short kiss on the cheeks. I felt embarrassed, did I go too far? I shouldn’t have made the first move. “See you tomorrow. I’m looking forward to your performance with Jiwon!” I jogged away. Now I know why girls rush away after kissing a guy in dramas.

---

                “Students and staff, we will now start the festival. Have fun and be safe!” The voice from the intercom echoed throughout the school.

                “Oppa, want to go to the cotton candy machine?” one girl asked.

                “Ah…I think I have to go prepare. I’ll see you guys around,” Bobby said. He walked to where I sat,” What are we going to do first?”

The girl glared at me,” What is this? They’re not even dating, why is he like that?” She purposely said out loud.

                “Pfft. Look what you did Bobby,” I . He shrugged before following me out of the room. We met up with Seul and Hanbin by the school gate. The school was open to public so the place was crowded.

                “Hey,” Hanbin beamed.

                “What’s up with you? Our little Hanbin is glowing today,” I said.

                “He’s been like that since this morning,” Seul replied. A flashback from last night made blood rush up to my face.

                “We’re versing your class in the obstacle course. I’m so excited!” Seul exclaimed.

                “That’s the last event, after the talent show right?” Bobby asked. Seul gave him a slight nod.

                “I’m so excited guys!” I squealed while jumping in place. The guys seemed amused by my excitement. I’m not a great athlete but I’m not the worse. Competition makes my blood rush. The desire to win, to see the finish line before anyone else is what drives me in that event. Plus, the class who wins gets a 3-day camp-out instead of going to school.

                “This is my first time seeing you like this,” Bobby showed his closed-eyes smile. From the corner of my eyes I saw Seul’s face darken.

                “Okay, let’s split up. We’ll meet for the talent show later,” I grabbed Hanbin’s arm and pulled him away into the sea of people.

                “Is there something I don’t know?” he asked when we were out of sight.

                “Seul likes Bobby,”

                “Makes sense, He’s popular with girls.”

                “So are you,” we stopped walking. He gazed at me; that gaze that make him irresistible.

                “Hanbin!” A guy from his class approached us,” We need one more guy for basketball.”

                “Haha, I’ve never seen you play basketball,” I said.

                “Basketball is easy,” he smirked.

                “Hanbin fighting!” I cheered in a high pitch. His classmate who was still standing there smiled in embarrassment.

I wandered the school to waste time until the basketball game starts. A pitch black room caught my attention and my feet led me there. “Welcome! This is a maze room in the dark. Since our classroom is connected with another one, we decided to make a maze. You get this,” the girl handed me a thin glow stick.

                “Ha, you can barely see with this. What if I bump into someone?”

                “We allow only two at a time. There is only one person in there right now. Would you like to try?” The girl’s lips curled up. Why not, I thought and made my way into the dark room. The only lights were from the glow stick and the windows. With a little bit of light I could make out the material of the walls. Cardboard, but someone they managed to glue it in place. I kept turning right with no plan in mind. After what felt like 15 minutes, I gave up. I retraced my tracks but head footsteps coming closer. For some reason I felt like I was in a horror scene. The walls here were high, blocking out my main source of light, the windows. My steps were shorter as I approach a corner. The footsteps stopped. I aimlessly turned right and bumped into that person. The shock sent a high, “ AH!” into the room. We stumbled onto the ground. My arms flail in front of me, slapping the person’s chest.

                “Stop it,” a male’s voice erupted. Out of curiosity, I crawled closer to him and held my weak glow stick up to his face. “Sumin?” Bobby said in surprise.

                “Oh my gosh,” I placed a hand on my heart,” you almost gave me a heart attack. I thought you were Jason from Friday the 13th , or something like that.” I grabbed his arm, “But I’m so glad to see you. You should know the way out right?” He helped me stand up and we began to walk.

                “Honestly, I’ve been here for what felt like 20 minutes.” He said after a while.

                “Really? When are we—,” something scurried across the floor. “Wh-what was that?” I clenched his sleeve.

 He looked down at me with a serious face. A long pause occurred before he slightly pushes me and saying, “Boo!”

I closed in immediately, hugged his arm and buried my face into his side, “AHHH~ Ahhahaahh…why would you do that?!” I punched his shoulder.

“Hahaha! Okay, I’m sorry,” He patted my head. Somehow we found the exit door. It was like finding two slip of papers in a fortune cookie.

“Weren’t you with Seul?” I suddenly remembered.

“Yeah…ahmm I think we lost each other in the crowd.”

“Oh no! Hanbin’s game!” I glanced at the clock at the end of the hall. There was five minutes left. If I ran to the gym, the game would be over by the time I get there. I ran.