Best Friend

Interlude of a Heartbreaker
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I let a yawn past my lips as I fell onto the couch after school. As usual, it was a boring day, me being the slightly socially awkward person that I am, there was little to no attention from others. I was completely fine with that but it so happened to be that my best friend was one of the most popular guys in school. It didn't used to be that way though. We had met when we were little, only in first grade and it was an instant connection. We got along so well that when we had entered middle school, we were practically siblings. 

It was about seventh grade when he had began to change. It wasn't the way that he looked at me or the way that I looked at him, that all stayed the same. It was the way that other people began looking at him. At first he didn't like the sudden attention but as soon as the girls started giving him that type of attention, he was all in. No, he never abandoned me for them and he never stranded me in an awkward situation before. It was just that he began to lead a double life it seemed. He was popular at school, hanging out with all of the people that I had vowed to stay away from. But then he was also there for me as a friend as well, never distancing himself from me. 

When it came time that the populars realized that he was hanging around with me, an unpopular, almost socially extinct girl, they said that he couldn't hang out with me anymore. They were breaking us apart but he didn't stand for it. Instead, he pushed them away and continued like nothing had ever happened to make him popular. But that didn't last long before the girls began to miss his presence. By the end of eighth grade year, he was back to being popular again but he had never abandoned me.

Freshman year came around and that was when I had first caught him making out with a girl behind the school building. I was so shocked that I had stopped and stared at them, the way that their lips moved together I didn't understand. That was also the day that I had went home and cried so hard that the hiccups that came after felt like they were going to break my ribs. Why would he do that? That was the time that I had realized how much of a different league he was in than I was. I didn't understand how he was still my best friend, how he was still that

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter