Chapter Seven

The Hundred-day Bet

CHAPTER SEVEN

~*~

 

[The day when it rained hard – January 26, 20XX]

 

You looked at your watch and wondered why he’s taking too long. You thought that he wasn’t able to find your locker. The temperature was starting to drop, and in no time you were already shivering.

 

“Oh, Eunji, why are you still here?” You saw Yena with her boyfriend, Yixing.

 

“Waiting for Donghae,” you replied with a smile.

 

“It’s getting late, and colder. Why don’t you go with us? You can just text Donghae using Yixing’s phone and tell him that you went home with us. I’m sure he won’t mind,” she offered.

 

You smiled at the thoughtfulness of your friend, yet you shook your head. “No, but thanks for offering. He might be returning now.”

 

“You sure?” Yena was worried. She didn’t want you to get sick, but you insisted. Yena had no choice but to say goodbye and leave.

 

You looked at your watch again. One and a half hour.

 

A cold wind swept and you sneezed once.

 

You sneezed again.

 

And again.

 

And again.

 

And again.

 

Until you found yourself sneezing and coughing nonstop. You were starting to feel a little sore, yet you didn’t mind.

 

Your eyes were already welling up with tears from sneezing too much. You’re starting to experience a headache.

 

But you tried to endure it. Because you wanted to wait for Donghae.

 

Because you believed that he’d come for you.

 

But alas, he was nowhere to be seen.

 

“Min Eunji? Why are you–?” Siwon said, surprised.

 

You smiled weakly and tried to reply but you only coughed and coughed.

 

Siwon touched your forehead. “You’re burning up! Let me take you home.”

 

“But Donghae–!” you whined.

 

“He’s not inside, I think he already went home.” Siwon said, assisting you as you walk to his car.

 

Upon hearing that, you suddenly collapsed, and everything turned into black.

 

***

 

You slowly opened your eyes, and found Siwon peacefully sleeping on the couch near your bed. You looked at the clock.

 

2:57 am.

 

You stared at him, shocked. He was with me the whole night? you wondered.

 

You looked at the desk and you found your phone lying there.

 

Siwon probably got it for you.

 

 You checked your phone to see if there were new messages.

 

25 new messages

 

10 were from Yena, 10, from Yeonjeong, 5 came from Yixing.

 

Donghae didn’t send you a text.

 

You opened Yena’s messages.

 

 

Hey, are you home already?

 

Why aren’t you answering?

 

Oh, how silly of me. You forgot your phone inside your locker.

 

Are you with Donghae right now?

 

Hey. Oh god, this is not good.

 

Please don’t tell me you’re still waiting for him.

 

WHY AREN’T YOU REPLYING?

 

Oh please borrow a hand phone from a stranger and text me. I just need to know if you’re okay.

 

Eunji, I’m worried sick!

 

Min Eunji!

 

 

You smiled at these texts. You proceeded to read some of Yeonjeong’s.

 

 

Hey. Yena told me you were alone at school because you were waiting for Donghae.

 

Are you home already?

 

Hey.

 

Yena’s getting really paranoid, and so am I. Where are you?

 

Are you still okay?

 

Just please let us know if you’re fine.

 

 

After you had read some of Yeonjeong’s texts, you opened Yixing’s.

 

 

Eun, are you home already?

 

Hey. Yena and I are worried.

 

Yena is really getting worried and paranoid. Are you okay?

 

Did you get home safely?

 

We’re about to go crazy here. Please, let us hear from you.

 

 

You put your phone back, not realizing that you had tears in your eyes.

 

***

 

“You need to eat, okay?” Siwon held the cup of soup in front of you.

 

“Aww, but I don’t have appetite!” you whined.

 

“At least eat some so that you can drink your medicine.”

 

Pouting, you took the spoon from Siwon and stuffed it inside your mouth. Apparently, Siwon stayed with you so that he’s sure that you’re fine.

 

After you ate some, you drank your medicine and laid down. Siwon got a towel from your cabinet, soaked it in lukewarm water, and wiped your forehead. This made you feel comfortable, since having a runny nose, a cough, and a high fever made you feel uneasy.

 

You loved being taken care of. You loved feeling like you’re important. You loved being the priority sometimes.

 

It’s not that you’re an attention-seeker.

 

It’s just that you’re always an option. You’ve always been second, sometimes even last.

 

And it kills you. Always being an option.

 

You looked at the watch. 3:30 am.

 

You closed your eyes and felt the warmth, letting sleep rule over you.

 

***

 

[Present day – January 27, 20XX]

 

Donghae went to find the other Super Junior members. Not-so-surprisingly, he found them at their headquarters. But when he roamed his eyes, Siwon was nowhere to be found.

 

“Hey Wook, have you seen Siwon?” Donghae asked the one nearest to him, Ryeowook.

 

“Nope, why?” Ryeowook replied innocently.

 

He spotted Jungsoo and tried his luck. “Hyung, have you seen Siwon?”

 

“He’s absent. I haven’t seen him today but I know where he is right now,” Jungsoo said, not even looking up.

 

“Where?”

 

This time, Jungsoo looked at him. “In some place where you’re badly needed but you’re too busy trying to fit in with someone you can’t be with.”

 

Jungsoo left Donghae confused as ever.

 

***

 

Sunlight pierced through your eyes. Slowly, you sat up and looked around. You saw a basin of water on the bedside table, and a breakfast tray at the foot of your bed. Smiling, you picked up the note that was on it.

 

 

Eat, okay? I’ll be right downstairs. Get well NOW.

 

  • Siwon

 

 

You put the note inside your cabinet and started to eat.

 

After eating, you slipped on your flip-flops and headed downstairs. You brought the tray with you.

 

Just like what he had said, Siwon was downstairs, chatting with your maid.

 

Your grand entrance caught his attention. He laughed at your bird’s nest hairstyle but you didn’t feel offended. Instead, you were grateful because he took care of you.

 

“Are you alright?” he asked you as soon as you sat down the counter.

 

“Yes. I only have colds and cough, but otherwise I’m fine,” you replied, assuring him with a smile.

 

Just then, you heard a loud bang and an ambiguous yell.

 

The two of you ran to the main gate, and there you saw Donghae banging your gates. He stopped when he saw you two.

 

“Donghae? What are you doing here?” you asked, bewildered.

 

“Visiting you. Mind to tell me why he’s here?” he eyed you suspiciously.

 

“He took care of me last night. He took me home when you left me,” you told Donghae. You felt tears forming in your eyes, so you turned your back and started to walk away.

 

“Wait!” you heard him call you.

 

“Just leave, Donghae.”

 

And with that, you entered the house, with Siwon following you.

 

For once, you didn’t even look back.

~*~

A/N:

Hi there! This chapter's crappy but hihihi it's my birthday so please bear with me.;)

This update is the product of my forever loading brain. I wasn't going to post this but I said that I'll post the update on my birthday so here it is! Hihi. Sorry. ^_^v Love you all!

 

- cjhzzx