Chapter Five

The Hundred-day Bet

CHAPTER FIVE

~*~

 

[January 23, 20XX – Day 9 of 100]

 

You were sitting on a bench, overlooking the beautiful garden at your school. You were feeling down, and this was the place you always visited whenever you’re feeling sad. While thinking of things, a pair of hands covered your eyes. You tried to remove those but they were too strong.

 

“Who is it?” you asked.

 

Your eyes were finally uncovered and you found out that the pair of hands belonged to Lee Donghae. He sat beside you and gave you a sandwich and juice.

 

“Hey. Why are you alone here?” he asked you.

 

“Nothing, I was just thinking about some things. You?” You opened the bottled juice and drank from it. “Thanks for these, by the way.”

 

“You’re welcome. Actually, I went here because I wanted to talk to you.” Donghae looked into your eyes, and you figured it was something serious.

 

“Um, okay? What is it? Is there something wrong?” you asked, your tone full of concern.

 

“You see, we’ve only just met. I mean, sure, we know each other even before, but we only got to know each other more just these past few days,” Donghae began. You smiled slightly and averted your gaze. “I know this is too fast, but Min Eunji, I like you. And I hate it when I see your eyes full of sadness even though you’re smiling.” Donghae expected that you’d gasp and be surprised, but when you faced him, he was the one who was shocked.

 

“Are you sure about that?” you smiled bitterly.

 

“O-of course! Why did you ask?” he stuttered.

 

You looked at the grass brushing against your shoes. “Nothing, I was just making sure.”

 

“So, um, is there someone in your heart right now?” he asked nervously.

 

“Yes,” you smiled again and faced him.

 

“O-oh. Who is he? And why isn’t he your boyfriend?” Donghae’s mind was filled with curiosity.

 

“I don’t want to speak of his name, but let us call him Mr. Blind Man. He has never been my classmate, not even once. We just know each other, and we probably share the same likes. He never knew my feelings for him. He liked this girl and courted her but she turned him down, because she was afraid. She was afraid of a commitment because she thought she still wasn’t ready, and she was afraid to get hurt. But deep inside, she loves him, so much. Who am I to break that?” You felt a tear escape from your eyes so you turned your head so that Donghae won’t see you cry.

 

Donghae didn’t know how to comfort you, so he patted your back and hugged you close to him. “He’s really a blind man for not being able to see your worth. But don’t worry, I’m here. I won’t treat you the way he treated you.”

 

When you were already okay, you faced Donghae. “Thanks for comforting me.”

 

“It’s nothing. Are you free tomorrow?” he asked you in return.

 

“Yeah. Why?”

 

“Can I, well, can we go out tomorrow?” Donghae smiled eagerly.

 

“Why?”

 

“It’s just that, seeing you right now, I want to make you happy. I want you to feel special.” You felt touched at his words, so you finally agreed. Both of you went back to your class happy. Only that, you were happy because he asked you out while he was happy because everything was going according to their plan.

 

A pair of eyes followed both of you as you headed to your buildings.

 

***

 

“What?! He asked you out?!” Yeonjeong squealed while Yena was shaking your shoulders.

 

“Oh my god, our Eunji’s finally getting a boyfriend!” Yena clapped, patting your back. Yixing went beside Yena, clueless.

 

“What’s going on?” he asked Yena, kissing her cheek.

 

“Donghae just asked Eunji out!” Yena squealed like a fangirl.

 

“Really? That’s great! When?” Yixing high-fived you, smiling brightly. You were about to answer when Yena blurted out the answer for you.

 

“Tomorrow!” You laughed at her enthusiasm. It turns out, your friends were more excited than you. You suddenly looked around and didn’t see Sojin anywhere.

 

“Hey, where’s Sojin?” you asked. Yena shook her head, so you looked at Yeonjeong.

 

“She told me she’s going to the restroom about an hour ago but the hasn’t come back ever since,” she told you. You were about to look for her when Sojin suddenly entered the room, sweating and panting. Her eyes were puffy, and you figured that she cried.

 

“Sojin! Are you okay?” you ran to her, Yeonjeong and Yena following you.

 

“S-sorry, I just wasn’t feeling very well.”

 

You touched her forehead. “You should go to the clinic!”

 

“No, no need. I’ll be fine,” she said weakly.

 

You knew then that she wasn’t sick, and that was just her reason to cover her puffy eyes.

 

***

[January 24, 20XX – Day 10 of 100]

 

You fixed yourself and tried to be as simple as possible. Yet whatever you wore, it still looked elegant on you and you looked so beautiful. You looked at your watch and realized that you were running late.

 

You bid goodbye to your mom and rushed out. You took a cab and went to the mall, where Donghae was already waiting for you.

 

“Hi. Sorry, I’m late,” you bowed at him.

 

“It’s okay. You look so beautiful,” Donghae complimented you. A blush crept to your face. Seeing this, Donghae chuckled and offered his arm. “Shall we?”

 

Smiling, you took it and walked with him happily into the mall.

 

You watched a movie, and of course, Donghae paid for it. When the movie was over, both of you planned to eat.

 

“So, where do you want to eat?” Donghae asked you.

 

“I don’t know. Anywhere?” you replied. Donghae chuckled and held your hand. Flustered, you let yourself be dragged by him to God-knows-where.

 

He stopped in front of a restaurant serving French cuisine. Based from the looks of the restaurant, you knew they served high-class food and it cost pretty much. You also knew that Donghae would pay so you were shy and refused to get inside.

 

“Why? You don’t want French cuisine?” Baffled, he asked you.

 

“Um–” You were about to say something but Donghae cut you off.

 

“You must taste their cooking. Don’t worry, I’ll pay.” He immediately went with you inside.

 

Pouting, you mumbled to yourself, “That’s exactly the reason why I don’t want to eat here.”

 

***

It was expensive, yes, but you could not deny that the food was really delicious.

 

Donghae patted his stomach and sighed, “That was a hearty meal.”

 

“I agree!” you said, nodding your head.

 

“Mainly because I ate with you,” Donghae said, winking. You felt your face hot after hearing that.

 

“S-stop that,” you stuttered. Donghae patted you on the head and chuckled. “You’re cute when you’re like that. Look, I’m trying to make you forget about Mr. Blind Man, okay? So please don’t hold back. Just let it flow.”

 

Because of his words, you smiled, yet only you could tell it was a fake one. From afar, you looked like a happy couple talking about nice things and plans probably for your future.

 

A pair of teary eyes watched both of you, feeling betrayed, as you laughed together.

 

 

***

 

“Thanks for today. I enjoyed it,” you bowed at Donghae.

 

“We should go out again sometime,” he said. You just flashed a smile in response.

 

What he did next surprised you. He suddenly stepped forward, his face inches away from yours. You found yourself closing your eyes and waiting for his lips to touch yours. But he only kissed you on the forehead, a sign of respect.

 

“Good night, Eunji.” Donghae bid. He waited for you to enter your house safely before going away, a smile plastered on his lips.

 

He immediately called Hyukjae, but the fool wasn’t answering.

 

“Hey, pick up the phone, you bastard!” Donghae said, frustrated while waiting for Hyukjae to answer his call.

 

After several tries, he finally picked up. “Mmmh–what is it?”

 

“Dude, what the hell are you doing?” Disgusted, Donghae put his phone farther from his ear.

 

“I’m with, uh, what’s your name again?”

 

Donghae heard a female voice at the other line. “Hana.”

 

“Ah, right. I’m with Hana right now. And you’re disturbing us,” Hyukjae said crankily.

 

“Gross, dude. Never mind. I’ll just call maybe Shindong-hyung or Kyuhyun.”

 

“Mmmh–much better.” Hyukjae hung up the phone without even waiting for Donghae’s reply.

 

Donghae mentally facepalmed himself. “What the hell did I just witness?”

 

***

 

As soon as she hit her bed, Eunji typed a message for Yena.

 

 

To: Yena

 

Hey! I just got home. I really enjoyed today! He was so sweet! Or maybe I was just misinterpreting things?

 

 

Almost immediately, you received a reply.

 

 

From: Yena

 

Really? I don’t think so, because if he wasn’t serious or if he really doesn’t like you, he won’t put too much effort. You’re too paranoid~

 

 

You laughed at her reply and kept your phone. “Silly girl. Well, of course she’d say that. She has a boyfriend,” you told yourself.

 

You closed your eyes and thought about what happened that day. You thought about when you held hands tightly, how you two laughed at each other’s jokes and stories, when he took you home, and when he kissed you on the forehead.

 

You didn’t know why, but you felt hot tears flowing down your face.

 

You didn’t know why, but suddenly, you felt hurt.

 

Or maybe you know why.

 

 

You just don’t want to admit it.

~*~

A/N:

So here it is! I already finished typing this last December 13, 2014, but since we had no internet connection, I was unable to post this. Huhuhu. I'm sorry! /bows/

Anyway, just like what I said in my author's note yesterday, I have a story and I'll be posting it today, too! Haha. It's nonsense but I just wanna share it to you, because it made me squeal inside my room for one week. Hahahaha.

I hope you enjoy this update! Thanks for stopping by. Comment below so that I may know what you think about this story and if I have to make improvements. Also, so that we can be friends!~ ^^

Advance Merry Christmas, everyone! /throws confetti everywhere/

 

- Y