Chapter One

The Hundred-day Bet

Chapter One

~*~

 

“Jung Sojin, will you be my girl?” Donghae knelt and held Sojin’s hand. He had been courting her for several months, and he had been hoping that he could hear Sojin’s sweet “yes”. He looked at her and smiled.

 

Sojin averted her gaze from Donghae’s, and with a shaky voice, she answered, “N-no. I’m sorry.” She pulled her hand and quickly ran, leaving Donghae dumbfounded on the floor. He felt his heart getting shred into tiny, little pieces. He had never been rejected in his whole life, not even once. Slowly, he stood up, and walked away.

 

***

“Hey, look! That’s Lee Donghae, right?”

 

“Yup! Did you hear the news?”

 

“Jung Sojin turned him down, right?”

 

“Really? She’s such a ! If Lee Donghae would court me, I would definitely say yes!”

 

Whispers and gossips were all over the place. In no time, the news about Sojin dumping Donghae was known throughout the campus. Donghae tried to put a brave face on, but deep inside he was really hurting. Good thing he had his friends by his side.

 

Donghae and his friends (their group was called ‘Super Junior’ for some reason) went to their “secret hideout” to let his mind cool off. He was really stressed hearing that news everywhere, and it felt like somebody crushed his pride. While walking, they passed by the practice room where he met Sojin for the first time.

 

***

 

Donghae heard an upbeat music coming from the practice room. With sheer curiosity, he opened the door and saw a goddess dancing powerfully and skilfully. She moved gracefully and elegantly, like she was made for dancing. Her hips turned in time with the beat, and sweat trickled down her forehead but she still looked adorable. Donghae watched her until the music stopped. The girl saw Donghae’s reflection in the mirror, so she turned and faced him, her eyebrow slightly raised.

 

“I’m sorry, I heard a really nice music so I thought I should come in and see. Are you a member of the dance troupe?” Donghae asked her, smiling sweetly.

 

“Yes. Why?” she plainly answered.

 

“Oh. How come I don’t see you during practices?” Donghae stepped forward, taking a close look of her.

 

“That’s because I’m a new member,” she said. Her hair was tied in a messy bun, yet Donghae still found her attractive.

 

“Welcome to the club. My name is Lee Donghae. You are?” Donghae introduced himself, offering his hand.

 

“Sojin. Jung Sojin.”

 

***

 

“Donghae? Ya, Lee Donghae!” Heechul waved his hand in front of Donghae, trying to get his attention.

 

“I’m sorry, what was that?” Donghae asked innocently.

 

“I asked you if you’re okay. It seems like you’re zoning out again,” Heechul said, concern evident in his voice.

 

Donghae pulled a chair and sat down. “I don’t know, it just won’t sink in. One day, we were so happy, then the next day, I just found myself getting rejected. Doesn’t she love me?”

 

“I don’t think so,” Kyuhyun commented, munching on some Lay’s.

 

“Maybe you should find out yourself,” Hyukjae suggested, sitting beside Donghae.

 

“What do you mean? She turned me down.”

 

“What if she just felt pressured but then she really likes you, too?” Hyukjae said, smirking. That got Donghae’s attention.

 

“If that’s the case, what should I do to make her confess?”

 

Hyukjae put his arms on the table. “Make her jealous.”

 

“What? How is that effective?” Donghae eyed him curiously.

 

“If Sojin sees that you have already moved on and you found a new one, of course she’d get mad and jealous because somebody took her place in your heart. I thought you’d figure that already,” Hyukjae replied, rolling his eyes.

 

Donghae had started thinking about it when Shindong proposed a plan. “Hey, how about we make this more exciting?”

 

All eyes turned to him so he continued talking. “Donghae would stay with a girl for one hundred days. Exactly one hundred days. You need to court her, or whatever to make Sojin jealous. Even if Sojin gives in already, you still have to finish the one hundred days. And then, after that, you have to break her heart.” Donghae stared at Shindong, his mouth gaped open. Shindong was proud of himself for devising such plan.

 

“Wait, guys, don’t you think that’s a bad idea?” Jungsoo butted in. “Why do you have to break the innocent girl’s heart? She had nothing to do with this.”

 

Being the eldest among the boys, Jungsoo had a sense of responsibility. He always made sure that the boys were doing nothing wrong, and they’re not hurting anybody for the sake of entertainment.

 

“Aw hyung, don’t be such a killjoy! This will be fun!” Shindong patted him on the back. Jungsoo just shook his head, obviously against this plan.

 

Donghae stood up. “Fine. I’ll do it, if that means I’ll get Sojin.” Shindong clapped and cheered. Finally, their boring lives would get spiced up.

 

“Just don’t fall for her and everything will be okay,” Shindong gave his dongsaeng a piece of advice. Donghae just laughed at this and shook his head.

 

“Wait! How about we make a bet? Or a deal, whatever you want to call it?” Hyukjae chimed in. Seeing that he got everyone’s attention, he continued to speak. “If Donghae falls for the girl in one hundred days, we’re doing something for him. But if he doesn’t, then Donghae does something for us.”

 

Donghae, again, shook his head. “What’s the point of making that bet? You guys will lose, anyway. My heart beats for Sojin, and it will continue to beat for Sojin only.”

 

“We’ll see, after one hundred days,” Hyukjae said, a mischievous glint appearing in his eyes.

 

“Wait, how do we choose the girl?” Jongwoon suddenly spoke up.

 

“How about this: the first girl who greets Donghae formally?” Youngwoon suggested. The others agreed to this, except Jungsoo. He had been keeping quiet, sitting on one side by himself. He didn’t want to join the bet, as he was against it, because he knew that hearts aren’t something that should be played with just for entertainment and amusement.

 

“Great, so we start looking for the girl tomorrow,” Kyuhyun said, stuffing his mouth with Lay’s.

 

The others cheered, while Jungsoo just shook his head.

 

 

***

 

“Do you think someone will greet you formally, hyung?” Ryeowook asked nervously. “Most of the girls here call you ‘oppa’, though.”

 

“Don’t worry, I’m sure someone will,” Donghae said. He himself hoped that the first girl who would greet him formally isn’t a die-hard fan of his, because that would be too burdensome.

 

“Hi Donghae-oppa!”

 

“Good morning Donghae-oppa!~”

 

“Donghae-oppa, I hope you do well in your classes today!”

 

A group of girls (or should I say, fangirls) passed in front of Donghae, and as expected, they called him ‘oppa’. Donghae flashed a smile, a not-so-genuine smile at them.

 

“Kyaaah!~ Donghae-oppa smiled at me!~”

 

The girls left, blushing really hard. Donghae was starting to lose hope, but then someone went to him and bowed formally. “Annyeong haseyo, Lee Donghae-ssi. Our dance instructor asked me to look for you. He wants you to go to his office at your breaktime, because he has something to discuss.” Donghae’s and the others’ eyes widened, and they looked at each other.

 

“Thank you,” Donghae bowed at that someone.

 

And that someone is you.

 

You bowed at him, but before you turned your back at him, he grabbed your arm. “ May I know your name?”

 

“Eunji. Min Eunji. I’m a member of the dance troupe too,” you told him, beaming brightly.

 

“Oh, so that’s why you look familiar. Thank you again, and see you at rehearsals,” Donghae kissed your hand. You were shocked but you tried to hide it.

 

“Um, yeah. Okay, see you?” You bowed again and ran to God-knows-where.

 

Meanwhile, Donghae received cheers and pats on the back from his friends. “Congratulations Lee Donghae, you just found your prey!” Donghae laughed at this. He couldn’t wait to start their Operation: Make Sojin Jealous.

 

And unfortunately, that “prey” was you.

 

“Day 1 officially starts tomorrow. Get ready, Lee Donghae,” Hyukjae said, chuckling. Jungsoo just shook his head, completely disappointed at his dongsaengs’s actions.

 

No one noticed how pale Siwon had become.

 

~*~

A/N:

Okay, so there goes my first chapter! Haha.