Chapter Eight

The Hundred-day Bet

CHAPTER EIGHT

~*~        

 

[Present day – January 27, 20XX]

 

You went storming inside; you had a complete change of mood. Seeing Donghae wasn’t relieving, especially since you were reminded of how he left you outside, freezing. You wanted to be mad at him but you know to yourself that you can’t. You were not totally mad at him, but instead, you were disappointed because he let you down. You proceeded to your room and immediately locked the door.

 

Thoughts flooded your mind as soon as you sat down on your bed. And again, hot tears poured down to your devastated face.

 

After some time, and after crying your eyes out, you heard a knock.

 

“Eunji? Are you okay?” Hearing Siwon’s voice, you immediately wiped your tears.

 

“Yes, I’m fine,” was your croaked reply.

 

 “Do you mind if I come in?”

 

You fixed your pillows and looked at the mirror before answering. “No, I don’t. It’s okay. Come in.”

 

Slowly, Siwon opened the door. “Hey.”

 

“Hey.”

 

“Are you okay?”

 

It took you a moment to answer. “I-I’m okay.”

 

“It seems to me that you’re not. You don’t have to pretend that you’re okay, Eunji.” Siwon said with a warm smile. And with that, you felt tears in your eyes again.

 

“I’m just disappointed in him, Siwon. I waited for him, because he told me he’ll be back. He kept me waiting. Why is your friend so selfish?” you told him, sobbing. Siwon put his arm around you and rubbed your shoulder. You instantly felt relieved, safe, and everything in the world didn’t seem so dangerous at that time.

 

You cried and told Siwon everything comfortably, until drowsiness won over you, again.

 

***

 

You woke up to the sound of your phone ringing. You looked at the caller ID and saw Yixing’s number.

 

“Hello?”

 

“Eun, it’s me.”

 

“Oh, Yixing! Why did you call?”

 

“We’re on our way to your house right now.”

 

“But why are you on the phone?”

 

“Yena here insisted that she’ll drive. She’s been troubled since yesterday, and I understand how bad she wants to see you.”

 

You smiled at Yena’s thoughtfulness. Then you heard her voice over the phone. “Baby, put it on loudspeaker. Hey Eunji?”

 

“Yes?”

 

“You alright?”

 

“Of course! I’m feeling great.”

 

“That’s good to hear. I’ve been worried sick!”

 

“Hey girl, give the phone back to Yixing and focus on driving.”

 

You heard Yixing’s voice, so Yena probably handed the phone back to him. “Eun, are you alone right now?”

 

“Nope, I’m with Nanny and Siwon. Why?”

 

“Oh. At least Siwon’s with you. Then we could be at ease.”

 

“I am really sorry for making you anxious. I didn’t look at my phone for some time.”

 

“No, that’s okay, Eun. We’re just glad that you’re okay, and you’re not so sick.”

 

“I’m tough! Virus and bacteria would have to undergo some training before they could enter my body.”

 

“You’re back, Eun. That’s nice.”

 

“You know what, Xing? I honestly don’t know why you’re my friend.”

 

“Me too, don’t worry. Yena here is giggling. She’s been eavesdropping.”

 

“Oh please. Just tell her to focus on her driving if both of you want to get here alive.”

 

“I already did. And I’m constantly doing so.”

 

“But Xing…”

 

“Yeah?”

 

“Thanks. Really.”

 

“Skip the drama, I’m holding the phone, not Yena. You two can do that later.”

 

“Yixing?”

 

“Yes?”

 

“Most of the time, I just want to kill you.”

 

***

 

“Eunji, your friends are here!” your Nanny called out.

 

You checked your reflection on the mirror and went out. Sitting on the couch at the living room where Yixing, Yena, Yeonjeong, and of course, Siwon.

 

Yena, upon seeing you, got up to her feet and hugged you.

 

“You ! Why on earth didn’t you call me? You didn’t even reply to my texts! Even Yixing got worried! Do you know that if he texts you two times in less than 12 hours, that is considered a miracle?!” she whined. You laughed at her “sermon”, as what you and Yeonjeong used to call it.

 

Among the four of you, Yena was the “mother-like”. She made sure that you were home safely, that you didn’t skip your meals, etc. Overprotective most of the time but it just flatters you to have a friend like her.

 

“Yixing, I could use some help here.” You looked at Yena’s boyfriend, who was enthusiastically watching her practically throw herself at you.

 

“I’d rather not. I thought you wanted to kill me?” he laughed.

 

“I will, as soon as I get out of this with my bare hands.”

 

Yixing laughed again before standing up. “Baby, please stop crushing Eun. She just got well.”

 

“Oh, right. Sorry.”

 

“Thanks, Xing.” You gave him a thumbs-up.

 

“Are you still going to kill me?”

 

“Next time, probably.”

 

***

 

You and your friends chatted for a couple more minutes before heading to the dining area where your Nanny prepared food. You were about to proceed to the kitchen to get plates yourself but Siwon stopped you.

 

“Just sit down, I’ll get it.” He smiled but you protested.

 

“But–!”

 

“No buts. Stay there.”

 

You pouted and stayed at your seat while he went away.

 

“You two are close, unexpectedly. Since when?” Yeonjeong interrogated, her eyes sparkling.

 

“I don’t know. I’m confused, too. But anyway, he’s a really, really, great friend,” you shrugged.

 

Siwon came back holding the plates and utensils. Your cheeks felt warm, and you were somewhat ashamed because Siwon was a guest too, yet he was the one serving you since yesterday. You were about to slice the cake and serve the others, but Siwon, being the gentleman he is, sliced it himself and put a huge serving onto your plate.

 

“Hey, this is too much,” you told him, blushing while looking at your plate.

 

“You need to eat up. You can’t afford getting sick because the school program is just around the corner, okay?” He warmly smiled and took his seat beside you.

 

Yixing, somewhat challenged because of Siwon’s actions, suddenly stood up too and did the same thing. Yena laughed sheepishly. “Baby, you don’t have to do that. I’ve seen your gentlemanly side already. You don’t have to serve me every time.” Yixing scratched the back of his neck, blushing profusely.

 

“Now what?” Yeonjeong suddenly pouted. You all looked at her and realized that she was the only one who wasn’t with a guy. Well, technically, you and Siwon aren’t together, but then he’s kinda helping you, so that’s almost the same thing.

 

“Don’t worry Yeonjeong. My cousin’s already on his way. He’ll be here before we even finish our meal,” you looked at her meaningfully.

 

Kim Jaejoong, your cousin, likes Yeonjeong. You could tell that she also does but she’s still in the denial stage. You were really rooting for them so you always play Cupid to them.

 

“Wha–?” Yeonjeong was about to protest when Jaejoong, as if on cue, barged into the dining room.

 

“Ji!~” Jaejoong greeted you. You stood up to hug him. “Jae-oppa! You’re here!”

 

You two were very close and he was only one year older than you. He started calling you “Ji” when you were both young so in return, you called him “Jae”, hence the name “J Duos” by your relatives.

 

Jaejoong was a playboy, but when he saw you cry one time, he realized that this might be the exact situation of his ex-girlfriends. So he stopped. But since he was undeniably handsome, many girls still come rushing to his feet. Whenever you and Jaejoong go to the mall together, girls would usually come to take pictures with him. So you two had this “plan” that whenever a girl tries to approach him, you would pretend as his girlfriend.

 

“Are you okay, Ji? I heard you caught flu. I was so worried sick!” Jaejoong ruffled your hair.

 

“I’m okay, oppa. Siwon here took care of me.” You pointed to Siwon, and he stood up to bow.

 

“Annyeong haseyo, Jaejoong-ssi.”

 

“Annyeong haseyo, Siwon-ssi. Thank you for taking care of our baby Ji.”

 

“Ya oppa! I’m not a baby anymore!” You pouted. Jaejoong just pinched your cheeks.

 

Yena rose and greeted Jaejoong. “Jaejoong-oppa!”

 

“Oh, Yena!” Jaejoong hugged Yena. “Long time no see!” Yena giggled. “Yixing! You’re here, too! How are you?”

 

“We’re fine, hyung! How about you?” Yixing bowed respectfully.

 

“Fine, too!” Jaejoong smiled. Then his gaze went to the girl beside Yixing. “Hello, Yeonjeong.” You could sense shyness in Jaejoong’s voice because you had known him for so long.

 

“Hello, Jaejoong-ssi.” Yeonjeong looked down. She could not get herself to look at Jaejoong’s eyes, for she, too was so shy.

 

Awkward silence followed, so you took the initiative to speak up. “Jae-oppa! Why don’t you join us here? I won’t take no for an answer.”

 

“For someone who just got well from flu, you seem so enthusiastic and energetic,” Jaejoong sighed before sitting beside Siwon.

 

 

***

 

Your friends stayed until dinner, but Siwon, since he was busy, left an hour after you finished eating snacks. He asked if you were going to school tomorrow, and of course, you said yes. You walked with him to the gate, and before he left, you thanked him several times.

 

Yena, Yixing, Yeonjeong, and Jaejoong were busy plopping themselves on the couch. Yixing was playing with Yena’s hair absentmindedly, while Yena was whispering something to Yixing. You loved how they were like a match made in heaven. On the other hand, Jaejoong was stealing glances towards Yeonjeong every now and then. Yeonjeong seemed clueless, for she was reading a book she borrowed from your shelf.

 

“Hey Ji,” Jaejoong suddenly called you.

 

“Yeah?”

 

“Is Siwon your boyfriend?”

 

You blushed madly. “No!”

 

“Okay, if you say so.” Jaejoong had a teasing look in his eyes, so you just rolled your eyes at him.

 

“Hey, why don’t you guys talk?” Yena blurted, taking Yeonjeong and Jaejoong by surprise.

 

“W-what?” Yeonjeong stuttered.

 

“You two look like loners. Sorry, hyung.” Yixing agreed.

 

Hearing this, you had an idea.

 

“Hey, why don’t we watch a movie?” you suggested. The others enthusiastically concurred, so you went to the kitchen to get the popcorn and chips. “Jae-oppa, please choose the movie. I’ll just get something to munch on.”

 

“I’ll go with you,” Yixing followed.

 

“Okay, so Yeonjeong and I will get the cushions, etc.” Yena dragged Yeonjeong while the latter was protesting.

 

You opened the cupboard and saw huge bags of chips. You got some and put it on the kitchen counter.

 

“Hey Eun?” Yixing called you out.

 

“Yeah?” You said without looking at him. You checked the expiration date of the caramel popcorn. 2016/xx/xx. You included that to your snacks.

 

“D-did Donghae visit you here?” You were taken aback. It was obvious too that Yixing didn’t want to bring up the topic. But he did anyway.

 

“Yeah, he went here but I sent him away. I don’t want to see his face yet,” you answered, pretending to look inside the refrigerator for drinks. “Cola, juice, or wine?” you asked.

 

“If I’m the only one I’d choose wine, but since Yena is with me, I’d say cola or juice. I don’t want to drive her home drunk,” Yixing said, the corners of his mouth slightly up.

 

You got enough cola and juice, and you could hear Yena and Yeonjeong having a pillow fight.

 

“Eun?”

 

“Yes?”

 

“I’m sorry.”

 

This time, you looked at Yixing. “What? Why?”

 

“Donghae’s a guy. I’m a guy, too. I’m saying sorry because I hate it when a guy does this to someone close to me.”

 

“So you’re trying to say that you’re sorry on behalf of him?” You raised your eyebrows.

 

“Kind of? You girls don’t deserve to be treated like that. Like what he did to you. I’m saying sorry as a guy, not as Zhang Yixing,” he flashed an apologetic smile, and because of that, you felt happy, because this guy is the boyfriend of Choi Yena, your best friend.

 

Yixing pulled you for a hug, and you patted his back. “It’s okay, Yixing. You don’t have to feel sorry.” You heard him chuckle. “Hey, Yena might see us. She might get jealous,” you joked.

 

“She won’t, first, because you’re her friend, and second, because she knows that she’s the only one that I love,” Yixing smiled.

 

“Cheesy. Gross. Let’s go, before they ruin my pillows and cushions.”

 

Yixing brought the snacks and chips and some of the cola, while you carried the juice packets and the rest of the cola.

 

***

 

Jaejoong chose a horror film. All except him knew that Yeonjeong can’t stand horror films, well, without someone by her side. Yena was hiding her face behind Yixing when the scene gets too scary, while you, let’s just say that you were born to watch horror films. You loved those, and you’re not the type who gets scared easily.

 

Meanwhile, Yeonjeong was screaming while hugging Jaejoong’s arm. It seemed like she didn’t know it was Jaejoong. Or maybe she knew, yet it was a matter of life and death. She had to hug someone (out of fear), or else she’d die.

 

You noticed this, and laughed to yourself. You felt your phone vibrate. Looking at the caller ID, you saw Donghae’s number.

 

You rejected the call without a hitch, almost too immediately.

~*~

A/N:

Comment below so that I know your thoughts about this. Pretty please? <3

Chapter Nine is already on its way so please stay tuned! Thanks! Love you all! XOXO.

 

- cjhzzx