Chapter Six

The Hundred-day Bet

CHAPTER SIX

~*~

 

[January 26, 20XX – Day 12 of 100]

 

It was a Monday morning. The start of a new school week. You still couldn’t forget your first date with Donghae. You still remember how you laughed at his jokes, how you smiled when he complimented you that day, and you could definitely feel his lips on your forehead. You thought you were going insane, yet you loved the feeling.

 

You loved the feeling, yet you hated it at the same time.

 

Taking a bit longer than usual, you fixed yourself. You would be meeting Donghae in a few minutes and you two will be dancing together, you absolutely wanted to look wonderful. You sprayed on your perfume, combed your hair, and put on some lip gloss. Looking at your reflection in the mirror for the last time, you grabbed your bag and went out.

 

Upon reaching school, you saw Donghae at the campus gates, probably waiting for you. You smiled to yourself and applied powder before stepping out. The moment he saw you, he flashed his killer smile, enough to melt any girl who receives it. A blush crept to your face, and you walked towards him.

 

“Hey,” he said, smiling.

 

“Hey.”

 

“You look beautiful.”

 

“Thanks.” You stared at the ground so that he won’t see you blush.

 

The two of you walked together, chatting happily.

 

Neither of you noticed Siwon at the side, looking at you, and wishing that he was the one making you smile.

 

***

 

News already spread throughout the campus. Before lunch time, everyone knew about the date. Everyone envied you. You had some fans, yet you had haters. But you didn’t mind. You just wanted to enjoy the moment…

 

because it was as if you knew that it won’t last long.

 

Since the news already spread, the two of you thought it was okay to do some interaction at school. You didn’t know your current relationship status, for you didn’t really understand what your heart was telling you. Besides, nobody cares about the label, anyway.

 

During lunch break, you and your friends went together to the cafeteria. They hadn’t stopped bombarding you with questions early that day. And so, you took the opportunity at lunch time to answer their questions.

 

When you entered the cafeteria, a group of students were cornering Donghae. It seemed like they were staffers of the school’s official publication, and they were trying to interview Donghae regarding his relationship with you.

 

Noise was all over the place, and you can only hear fragments of questions being thrown to him.

 

“… relationship with Min Eunji?”

 

“When … started dating?”

 

“Did you just use Eunji … rebound when … dumped you?”

 

“When did you start courting her?”

 

“How does it feel … Jung Sojin … one of Min Eunji’s friends?”

 

You wanted to make them stop, yet you wanted to hear Donghae’s answer.

 

You looked at Sojin to see her expression, but then again, she was looking at the floor.

 

“Everyone, please. I’ll answer your questions. I like Min Eunji, and Jung Sojin has nothing to do with this. She is not a rebound. So please stop asking now. Have a good day everyone,” he said, looking at you. You wanted to jump and squeal like a fangirl, yet you maintained your calmness.

 

Suddenly, Sojin spoke, her lips quivering. “I-I t-t-think I h-h-h-have to g-g-go.” Then she ran. You were about to run after her but you looked at Donghae.

 

He was looking at Sojin, and it seemed like he wanted to go after her.

 

***

 

“Hey, did you hear? Donghae actually admitted that he likes Eunji!” Heechul said.

 

Hyukjae rolled his eyes. “Of course. It’s the main gossip on campus. Good going, man! Did you see how Sojin ran?”

 

“Yeah. I think our plan is working,” Donghae chuckled, stretching his arms.

 

“I’m just going to look for some food,” Siwon suddenly said, avoiding eye contact with anyone. He went out without another word, leaving the members puzzled.

 

“What’s with Siwon nowadays? He became so gloomy,” Youngwoon noticed.

 

“He’s probably having some boy problems,” Shindong suggested.

 

The other members nodded, cheering on Donghae and forgetting Siwon’s sudden behaviour.

 

***

 

Donghae had talked to you that lunch, and he said that you two should go home together. Of course, you agreed to this. You wanted to be happy, yet you didn’t know how. You hadn’t seen Sojin since that afternoon, when she ran away. You wanted to look for her but Yena and Yeonjeong stopped you, saying that Sojin would probably want to be alone.

 

You hesitated at first, but after a while, you agreed. After all, you kinda know why she was acting like that.

 

Dismissal came by very quickly, and so did the rain. Before the bell rang, the rain was already pouring heavily. Unfortunately, you forgot your umbrella at home. Yena wanted to lend you hers but you didn’t want to accept it, since she had a weaker immune system than yours. Plus, you didn’t want Yixing to worry much, because every time Yena gets sick, Yixing becomes paranoid. He can’t dance properly, he won’t understand a thing you say, he’ll only be thinking of Yena the whole day.

 

Donghae said he had an umbrella, which was a good thing for you. You were walking together, and when you reached the gates, you suddenly realized that you forgot your phone inside your locker.

 

“Oh gosh, I forgot my phone,” you whined.

 

“Where?” Donghae asked you.

 

“Inside my locker. Wait for me here, I’ll just get it.” You were about to go back inside when Donghae stopped you.

 

“No, stay here. I’ll get it instead. I would want you to catch a cold,” he smiled warmly.

 

He insisted, so you had no choice but to agree and wait for him at the gate.

 

Fifteen minutes passed by, he still was nowhere out of sight.

 

Twenty minutes.

 

Thirty minutes.

 

Forty minutes.

 

Fifty minutes.

 

One hour had passed.

 

 

 

 

Still, no sign of Lee Donghae.

 

***

 

Donghae went to find your locker. He had bumped into Siwon, and the latter had asked him where he was going. Donghae told him about your phone. Siwon nodded and proceeded. Donghae went back to finding your locker but then he heard a faint cough. He followed the sound, and it led him to the gate at the other side of the school. He saw Sojin, she was dripping wet. She had no umbrella, yet she went out.

 

Her knees were wobbling, she was shaking, and her cough was getting worse. She staggered, and before she fell Donghae had rushed to her and caught her.

 

“L-Lee D-Donghae?” she muttered weakly.

 

“Yes. Hush, don’t speak. You’ll only drain your strength,” Donghae said, carrying Sojin.

 

“W-why are y-you here?”

 

“It’s not important, okay? I’ll take you home. Where’s your car?”

 

Sojin pointed somewhere, and Donghae walked towards it, holding the umbrella and carrying Sojin. He laid her at the backseat, while he sat at the driver’s seat and started the engine.

 

Donghae thought of you, waiting at the other side. But then when he looked at the mirror and saw Sojin helplessly coughing, his thoughts about you went flying out the window. He thought you’d go with Yixing or something, that you won’t wait that long for him.

 

The car moved fast, splashing dirty water on the flowers at the sides of the road.

 

***

 

[January 27, 20XX – Day 13 of 100]

 

Donghae went to school, feeling very fresh. Apparently, he had his moment yesterday with Jung Sojin. He was smiling while walking, remembering the events that happened after he dropped Sojin to her house.

 

 

*flashback*

 

Donghae laid Sojin onto her bed. Her maid changed her clothes. Donghae was outside, of course. He went again inside to tell Sojin that he’s going home.

 

“Hey,” Donghae said softly.

 

“Hmm?” She was weak, and helpless.

 

“I’m going home, okay? You should rest.”

 

Donghae turned his back, but Sojin held his hand.

 

“D-don’t g-go,” she pleaded.

 

“What?”

 

“Please s-stay w-with me.”

 

Donghae had no hesitation, he immediately stayed there and took care of Sojin, even feeding her and making her go to sleep. He didn’t forget to wipe her forehead with a warm towel.

 

He basically took care of Sojin the whole night.

 

*end of flashback*

 

 

Donghae stopped when he saw your locker. He suddenly realized that you were not with him. He went to your room, and when he was about to ask Yena and Yeonjeong where you were, he heard their conversation.

 

“Yeonjeong, Yixing and I will visit Eunji later. Do you want to come?”

 

“Okay. What happened to her, anyway?”

 

“She caught a severe cold and cough. It might be a flu. Stupid girl, I told her yesterday that she should go with us because it was raining really hard yet she insisted that she’d wait for Donghae,” he heard Yena say.

 

“Where did he go, anyway?” Yeonjeong asked.

 

Donghae saw Yena shrug. He approached them and tried to ask who took you home.

 

Yena looked at him, disappointment evident in her eyes. He looked at Yeonjeong instead, but she, too, shook her head and made a “tsk” sound.

 

“Don’t ask us who took her home, we won’t tell you anyway. But just so you know, that person is not like you, who leaves a girl waiting under the rain while you’re busy taking care of someone who already dumped you,” Yena said, and dragged Yeonjeong away.

 

Donghae watched their backs, guilt flooding his mind.

~*~

A/N:

Hi! I'm back with a short update. I'm sorry! I've been busy lately. (Busy with my crush but hahaha). 

Anyway, I hated Donghae here. Forgive me. Asdfghjkl.

So, here it is! Enjoy reading! I'll probably update again on my birthday. Hahahaha.

This story still has a looooooong way to go. ;)

Love you guys! XOXO. :*

 

- cjhzzx