Under the moonlight

Between US

Yoon Dujun saw you went to the kitchen from upstairs. He walked towards you and stood at the kitchen island for a while, looking hesitantly at you. You finished your glass of water before realizing he stood behind you.

“Hmm… _______-sshi, can you prepare some snacks for us?” he politely request for your favour.

This would be the first, you thought. He never asked anything from you before.

“Sure... Is there something that you want to eat?”

“No… Anything will do.”

“Alright then. I’ll be quick.” You smiled at him. The sweetest ever.

“Alright then.” He return your smile. Then he leave you to join s in the living room.

You have such a beautiful smile, Dujun-sshi.

 

You came out from the kitchen with two plates full of tuna sandwiches and 6 glass of orange juice. You put the tray on the coffee table.

“Have some snacks, guys.” You smiled at them.

“_______-ah, come play with us!!” Gikwang gleefully squealed at you.

“No thanks, Gikwang-sshi.” You deliberately called him ‘-sshi’ to .    

“Aish, how many time must I tell you? Call me oppa! Gikwang oppa!” he pretend to be mad and pouted his lips.

“Aha, sorry OPPA…” you gave him your annoyed face. Then you let out a small chuckle.

“Ah come on, _______-ah. Stay and play with us!”

“I don’t know how to play the Wii, Yoseob oppa. Surely you guys will win!” you shook your head in protest.

“I’ll teach you, _______-ah. Don’t worry. Come here.” Yoseob pulled your hand and make you sit next to him.

He taught you the basics how to play the game while the others enjoyed the drinks and sandwiches you made for them. Hyunseung read his comic books while Dujun and Junhyung have their own conversation and occasionally playing with their iPad at the end of the long couch.

 

30 minutes later.

 

“Asa! I win! I win! Yess!”

“Wah!! I can’t believe you won, ________-ah!” Gikwang gave you a congratulatory high five, high in the air.

“Haha! Yah, Seobie. How can your student defeat you?” Junhyung laughed at him. He then gave you a double high five.

“Aish! I regret teaching you, _______-ah!” He brushed his hair in frustration.

“Haha! Well done, noona. Well done! Served you right hyung! You were so arrogant just now. Now noona beat your score!” Dongwoon jumped and laugh at Yoseob. Satisfied that eventually Yoseob had been defeated. He raised up his hands and give you another high five. Hyunseung too. Dujun just sat at the corner, gave you a slight smile without participating in the ceremony.

“Aah! Let have another match, _______-ah!”

“Haha. Sorry oppa. I can’t. I have to wake up early tomorrow.”

“You’re working tomorrow? But it is Sunday.” Gikwang asked you.

“Bussiness doesn’t stop on Sunday, oppa. You have to work on Sunday too, sometimes, right? Alright, I’ll take my leave now. Enjoy your night, ‘kay...” You stood up and gave them all another gentle high five as you bid good night, except for Dujun. You bowed slightly at him.

“Good night, Dujun-sshi.” You smiled at him. He smiled back.

Dujun followed your footsteps upstairs with his eyes.

 

“Ah, Hyunseung oppa. There’s some Caesar salad I prepared earlier in the refrigerator. You can have it if you still hungry!” you shouted when you were halfway at the stairs.

Suddenly Dongwoon and Gikwang ran towards the refrigerator, competing with each other.

“Yah, the salad is for me! Don’t touch it! Yah!” Hyunseung screamed while he too, ran for the refrigerator.

You shook your head and laugh at their antics. You entered your bedroom and head to the bathroom. You washed your face and prepared for bed. You lay on the bed and stare at the ceiling. Their playful voices still can be heard from downstairs. It’s not disturbing, in fact it will helps you fell asleep faster. Knowing you had new friends brothers, it filled your heart with warmth.

It is not easy for them to accept you in the beginning. In fact, right now there is still a little awkwardness when you were around them. They were totally shocked with the news. When Dujun finally stays sober and gained himself again, he personally told his group members, his company and finally his family. It was chaos.

 

“Don’t worry. I’ll take full responsibility for everything.”

 

You know he’s a man of his words. When he abruptly said he will marry you, he actually did. So you slowly put your trust on him. He decided to keep this relationship unknown from the public. You agreed as it was for the best.

Yet, your relationship with Dujun at home are still the same. Not more than a housemate. Greeting each other occasionally if you met him at home. Coming and going without any intention to bother each other. You always prepare some food for him in the kitchen, may it be for breakfast, lunch or dinner, but he rarely touch it.

Until recently.

When you notice the dishes are always done and there are no leftover food in the refrigerator.

 

Knock knock.

You looked at the bedroom’s door.

“_______-sshi. Thank you for the snacks. Good night.” You heard Dujun’s voice from outside. Then you heard his footsteps going downstairs.

 

“Good night, Dujun-sshi.” you whispered to yourself.

You tried to close your eyes and sleep but failed.

Wait a minute. Why does your heart beating so fast?

 

 

********

 

 

“Welcome to our café. What would you like to have, Sir?”

“Hmm, give me one green tea latte, one iced Americano and…and…”

“And?”

“Your phone number, please?” his cheeky grin plastered across his face.

“Uh, alright. Is that all, Sir? Anything else you want to add?”

“That would be all, for now.” He smiled again. The sweetest ever.

“This wouldn’t take long. Please wait for a moment, Sir.”

“Sure. Take your time, Miss.”

 

A moment later.

 

“Sir, here are your order. One green tea latte and one iced Americano.”

“And another one?” he asked, shamelessly.

“Oh, yes. Here, this is my phone number. Our phone number. My manager and all the staff here will be glad to serve you whenever possible. Customer’s satisfaction are our top priority. We do take order for special occasions too, Sir. Feel free to contact us in the future.” You handed to him the café business card and forced a smile at him.

“Aish…” he shook his head from the embarrassment, took the card and quickly paid for the drinks.

“Thank you, Sir. Please come again.”

Before he left the counter, he pouted his mouth towards you, aegyo-style.

You looked at him nonchalantly, before you give him a small smile and slightly bowed.

Just another weird customer, you thought. But he’s been pestering you for the past two weeks. Your curiosity grew as well as your annoyance. You never give him the ‘okay’ sign, yet he never give up.

 

You ended your shift late at night today, until the closing hours. After bidding goodbye to your colleagues, you walked home. There’s a children playground en route to your apartment building. You decided to stop for a while and sat on the swing. The sky are clear tonight with full moon beaming beautifully from above. You swung the swing slowly with your feet. Looking up to the beautiful night sky, you saw a few stars twinkling bright. 

“Baby, is that you? How are you doing, my baby?” you mumbled alone.

“I hope you’re doing fine with grandma. She loves you, you know.”

“Me? Don’t worry about mommy. I’m alright…” you huffed a heavy breath, trying to gather the strength inside you.

“I will be alright. I promise you.” You smiled alone.

 

“Who are you talking to?”

“Oh God!!!!” You jolted in surprise. Your hand grabbed the swing automatically, preventing you from falling. Another hand clasping your chest, trembled from the shock.

“Who--” you turned around to find out where the voice coming from.

He smiled but after seeing you genuinely surprised by his action, his expression turned to serious.

“Ow, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to scare you, _______-sshi.”

“Oh, it is you. I’m okay, but don’t do that again.”

“Okay…” he then sat on the swing nest to you.

“What are you doing here, Dujun-sshi?”

“Just – just because. Going back from the café?”

You’re not answering his question. You stared at him in confused. He was wearing his cap and hooded sweater. Typical dress-up for an idol to avoid being recognised in public. Besides, he never go out without specific purpose.

 

“What?” He asked you after realizing your questioned look.

“What are you doing here, Dujun-sshi?”

“What are you doing here?” he asked you back.

Silent.

“Wah, the full moon is so beautiful tonight. Right, _______-sshi?” he raised his head and look upwards to the sky.

You mimicked his action. The night sky are beautiful indeed.

Suddenly, he stretched out his right hand towards you, gesturing for a handshake.

“I’m Yoon Dujun. Nice to meet you, ________-sshi. Can we be friends?”

 

-------

[Earlier that night]

 

It is another 45 minutes to 10.00 pm. Yoon Dujun took his cap and wear it under his hooded sweater. He wear it low to cover his face as much as he can. Then he cover his head with the hood. So much to not be recognized. He locked the door and go straight to the elevator. Pressing the button to the ground level, he saw a lovely couple holding hands inside the elevator. Love is sweet.

He continued his stride. He walked towards the end of the block after passing a few rows of shops. Then he sat on a bench not far from a café. Your workplace, that café. Occasionally he watched his watch. Another 10 minutes before the café closed, and your shift ends.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“I came to like her. You should too.” Yoseob said.

“I like her too. She’s not like………” Dongwoon didn’t finished his sentence and lowered his eyes.

Hyunseung patted Dujun’s shoulder, reassuring and approving.

“I loooveee her. Seriously, Dujun, be good to her. Or I can replace your place.” Gikwang teasing him.

 

Dujun looked at Junhyung. Only he doesn’t said anything.

 

“She’s one tough girl, Dujun. I’m not sure, but I think she only have you. You both may be met not under a good circumstances, but try to appreciate her. I’m not saying you must like her, or love her. It is your choice, your heart. Just don’t be too cold to her and try to treat her well, Dujun. That’s all I asked from you.”

Junhyung said his words just before they all leave the house.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

He lost in his own thought for a while. All of his group member slowly accepting your presence in his life now. Only he seems to have been keeping his barrier towards you.

 

“I already let him go. Why don’t you do the same, Dujun-sshi? Let her go… ”

 

Your voice keep repeating in his head. He thought he was dreaming but when he feels your hand hold his hand tight, accompanied by your soft on his chest, he knew he wasn’t dreaming.

His thought interrupted when he saw you walking out from the café. It is close to 10.45 pm already. Sure, the closing and cleaning routine always took some time after the café operating hours ended. He saw you bid goodbye to your colleagues, and started to walk towards home.

Dujun followed you a bit far from behind, deliberately to not let you notice him. He saw you stop at the playground. Sitting on one of the swing, you looked up to the night sky and mumbled. He moved closer to you cautiously so that he can hear your words.

“Me? Don’t worry about mommy. I’m alright… I will be alright. I promise you.”

 

________-sshi. Are you really alright? Will you be alright?

 

 

Dujun steps closer to you.

“Who are you talking to?”

“Oh God!!!! Who--”

 “Ow, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to scare you, _______-sshi.”

“Oh, it is you. I’m okay, but don’t do that again.”

“Okay…” he then sat on the swing next to you.

“What are you doing here, Dujun-sshi?”

“Just – just because. Going back from the café?”

Silent.

You must be very tired. Because of your work. Because of me.

“What?”

“What are you doing here, Dujun-sshi?”

“What are you doing here?”

Silent.

“Wah, the full moon is so beautiful tonight. Right, _______-sshi?”

 

The night sky are beautiful tonight, indeed. The moon beaming brightly with his grace.

How about we share this beautiful night sky together, ________-sshi? Will you be okay with that? Will you be alright?

 

“I’m Yoon Dujun. Nice to meet you, ________-sshi. Can we be friends?”

 

You took his hand, returning his handshake.

 

“I’m _________. Nice to meet you too, Dujun-sshi. Let’s be friends.”

 

Another star twinkling brightly up on the sky.

 

 

-------

[In a car, not far from the playground]

 

“Damn it!! Damn you Dujun!!!” she punched the steering repeatedly. Her face was red, full with rage.

“Damn it, Dujun!!! you!! You think the world will not know??!! Big mistake, Dujun. Big mistake!!!” she slammed the steering again. This time she laughed out loud, sneering at the scene in front of her. Then her tone become hateful and stern again.

“If I can’t have you, no one can!! you Dujun!!”

She took out her phone and dialled a number. She waited for a moment, and when she heard a voice at the other end, she shouted almost immediately.

“I hate Dujun! I hate him so much I could kill him right now!”

Then the voice replied.

 

“Relax. You have to be patient and intelligent to handle this. The time will come. It will come. Be patient, Ji-hyun-ah…”