Mulan

Love in Despair [Discontinued]

 

Chapter eleven: Mulan

 

        I want to be a girl worth fighting for.

 

        Junhyung had stayed by my side at the hospital. I even urged him to leave but he wouldn't. However, we caught up and talked about the many things in our lives. Our past times, our hobbies ... stuff like that. We also told each other personal stories. Although, I avoided talking about him.

 

        The door slid and there stood Hara. I smiled at her and gave her a sign to come in. She had bags filled with apples and oranges. She stared at Junhyung and slightly bowed at him. She had tints of red blush across her face.

 

        “Hey! Are you feeling any better?” she happily asked. I grinned widely, “I'm healing very well.”

 

        She gave out a sigh of relief, “Ah, thank goodness! School has been such a bore without you. The spotlight right now is on you and Miyoung.” I gave a face in disgust.

 

        Junhyung casually coughed and stated, “I'll leave you guys so you can both catch up and do all that girly stuff.” I scoffed, “You're a strange one.”

 

        After he left, Hara stared at me with longing eyes. I felt uncomfortable due to that. “Are you guys dating?” she asked as she started cutting an apple. I put on a face of disgust. “Are you nuts?! Me dating him?! That's like.. even though we are not related!”

 

        Curiously, she pondered out loud, “?” I nodded my head, “I have never told you this but we are related... by law.”

 

        After a while, I finished my past story that involved Junhyung. “EH?!” she shrieked. I covered my ears and winced. “So, step siblings? But you live by yourself...? Aigoo, that makes no sense what so ever,” said Hara, all confused.

 

        “I'm his adopted sister,” I sheepishly replied. “Wow, I am amazed! But you know what's weird. You've been a lot happier these days. And I'm really really glad for that you're smiling again. Ever since, Jo- that guy.. you've been so sad,” she whispered. My eyes looked at walls as if it was interesting. “Sorry.”

 

        She shook her head and smiled, “Aigoo, no need to apologize! Is there a boy behind that smile of yours? Is he making you happy?”

 

        I stared at her with widened eyes and shook my head rapidly, “ANDWAE! No no no! No boy! Just a good friend that is a male...” Hara narrowed her eyes and gave me an apple slice, “Yes.. a good friend that is a male is also known as a boy! It's Doojoon, isn't it?”

 

        I bit the bottom of my lips. I gazed from side to side and softly said, “Perhaps. Anywho, how was your date with Junhyung?” (refer to ch 6). I wanted to change the subject of our conversation. She blushed and giggled like the high school she was.

 

        She smiled, “It was a lovely date. A typical date, really. Movies and a dinner. He did that whole yawning and stretching move and thus, placed his arm around me. It was very sweet.” I scoffed to myself, “How typical of him.”

 

asdfghjkl;

 

        “- You know, you deserve to be happy. No need to be depressed all the time. You can always trust me. If you ever need to confide something, you can tell me. Don't keep it all bottled up. You deserve so much better than him. I don't want to see my best friend in any pain,” a high pitched voice said behind the doors.

 

        Him? My hand was ready to slide the door of Room 226. I had a pair of yellow tulips in another.

 

        “I'm sorry,” Chaerin muttered softly. It become an awkward silence between the two and so, I decided to open the door.

 

        I had a huge grin on my face. “Hey, how are you?” I also saw Hara, “Hello, Hara.” Hara bowed and stated, “I should leave you two alone.” Chaerin reached out for Hara's hand. “You don't have to.”

 

        “It's okay. I'll catch up with Junhyung. He's probably still around,” she smiled so widely. Junhyung was still here? My heart started to beat in agony and envy. What does he have that I don't? I would like to be her superman. Her hero. Her one and only.

 

        I sat down on the stool near her as Hara left. “You didn't have to come. I look terrible,” Chaerin said gloomily. “To me, you look beautiful no matter what,” I replied as we both blushed.

 

        “Ah, these are for you,” I grinned as I passed them to her. She gave them a sniff and thanked me. “I'm sorry for causing you all this trouble. If I knew the consequences of hanging out with you would cause you to be in pain, I would-” I stated but however she interrupted, “It's fine. Being friends with you was a wonderful thing that has ever happened to me.”

 

        She held my hand and gave me a reassuring smile. Friends? Can't we be more than friends? Are you with Junhyung? Is he making you smile? Does he make you feel like you are in paradise? I wanted to ask all that but I couldn't. I sighed, “Yes, friends. Chingu.

 

        I stared into space and by the time I reached reality, Chaerin fell asleep. She had light snores and so, I tucked in her blanket. Her hand was still holding my hand. I blushed to myself.

 

        “Saranghae, Queen Chaerin,” I whispered even though she couldn't hear me.

 

        Then I heard a ruckus from the door. I turned and looked at the doorway and saw Junhyung. He stared at our hands. I suggested, “I should go.” However, Junhyung smiled, “No, stay with her overnight. I'll tell the boys when I get to Dongwoon's house.”

 

        I started to say, “But-” Once again, I got interrupted, “I see the way you look at her. Your eyes dilate. You're in love with her. So, you do anything while I'm gone. I will kick your to Mars or Pluto. Depending on the mood I'm in tomorrow.” He walked away with a cool aura surrounding him. It made him seem badass as he was getting giggles and flirtatious winks from nearby nurses.

 

        Isn't Junhyung in love with her? Aren't they together? My head was spinning. I looked out the window and it seemed to be the midst of the night. I yawned and slept with my head on the bed.

 

        Good night, my lady. Sweet dreams.

 

I knew at once that you were meant for me. Deep in my soul I know that I'm your destiny. - Mulan

 

Author's Note:  Thank you for still being by my side despite the very very very very slow updates.  Thank you so much!