Everyone Has Their Secrets

School From Hell

Bom pulled her glasses away from her face momentarily as she rubbed at her heavy-lidded eyes. She had been up all night with stacks upon stacks of books surrounding her at her desk at home, still searching for a solution to her problem. Still no luck of course.

 

“Bom!” The girl squawked in surprise as she fumbled to quickly put her glasses back on. She turned to glare at the overly ecstatic girl beside her.

 

“Dara, what are you doing scaring me like that for?” Dara just giggled. Bom slouched her shoulders, noticing that something was a little different with the usually upbeat girl today. Dara's face had a serious expression as she stared intensely at Bom's face.

 

“Is something bothering you...? Why are you looking at me like that?”

 

“Bom... I've been noticing that you've been a little odd lately... It got me really concerned.”

 

“Oh you don't need to be concerned for me, I'm just fine.” Bom lied.

 

“See that's the thing. I don't think you're fine at all.” Dara scratched at the side of her chin. “You see... I kind of followed you...”

 

“You WHAT?!” Bom shrieked but shrunk back in her seat when she realized that other students in the room were now staring at the two. She spoke again but in a harsh whisper. “You followed me??”

 

“I was just curious is all! I-it's not like I had planned it in advance or anything it was just an innocent mistake. I just happened to see you walking around after school and I wanted to know what you were up to outside of class so I may have... creeped on you for a little bit...” Bom stared astonished at what she was being told. When had this happened? Why was she pointing this out now? Did she stalk her yesterday?

 

It couldn't have been when...

 

Bom's eyes widened when she heard Dara's next words.

 

“I know... about it. I know your secret.” Bom's jaw dropped as she felt her whole body begin to sweat and went dry.

 

“S-so... you were there.... yesterday?” Dara said nothing for a moment but then nodded.

 

“I was. I saw everything.” Bom felt her senses go numb as everything around her whirled into a blur of colors. She thought she was going to be sick. Of all people why did Dara have to be the one to discover her big secret that she had been desperately hiding all this time?

 

“P-please... don't tell anyone about this...” she begged, reaching out for Dara's hands. The other girl just smiled.

 

“Okay!”

 

Bom blinked. Okay? That was it? It was a done deal? Well that was easy.

 

“...under one condition.”

 

Of course it wasn't that easy. Bom mentally groaned, what could this crazy girl possibly want in exchange for her silence?

 

“What is the condition?”

 

“You come over to my house. Today. Once the last school bell rings.” Dara stated simply. Bom blinked blankly once more.

 

“..I'm sorry you want me to what?”

 

“Come OVER silly goose! I know our friendship is still starting but I'd really like you to come and see my home and maybe meet my parents! We can hang out and you can have dinner at my place.”

 

Her parents? Were she and Dara dating now? Bom shook her head in confusion. At least it wasn't a very hard request, right? Besides, who was she to reject another meal offer from Chef Dara?

 

“U-um... okay. I guess...”

 

“Really?!” Dara exclaimed excitedly.

 

“...sssure...” With an ominous feeling pooling in the pit of her stomach, Bom hoped that she wouldn't regret this deal.

 

 

***

 

 

It was a little after the third class of the day that Bom gloomily walked up a flight of stairs, practically dragging her sulking body against the side wall as she did. Rubbing her temples she thought back to her exchange with Dara. How could she have let something like this slip? Would she really be able to guarantee her keeping her secret with a simple house visit? Maybe a little talk with a certain someone would cheer her up.

 

Before she knew it Bom found herself standing before large oak doors. A gold plaque above them reading “School Chairman” shined in the hallway lighting. Sighing, she grabbed one of the golden knobs and opened it, taking a step inside.

 

“Hello...?” she called out meekly into the dim lighting.

 

She spotted the wooden desk at the center of the room and the expensive leather sofas that were placed in front of it. Plopping herself comfortably on one of them, she called out again.

 

“HellooOOo?”

 

“Oh Bom, is that you?” A masculine voice called out from one of the dark recesses of the room. A tall, lean man in an ebony, tailored suit appeared from the shadows. He looked a bit young to be the chairman of such a prestigious school but nevertheless this man had earned his position with the utmost respect. He was a good-looking man with dark crimson eyes. Large, sleek, black crow wings lightly grazed the floor as he approached. His gaze softened when he laid eyes the back of a familiar black hood.

 

Bom turned her neck to see the man known as the school's chairman standing behind her. She held up her sleeve in a small wave.

 

“Hi Uncle!”

Chairman Park
37, Crow Demon, oversees the school and works hard to keep his students safe
and protected from humans and otherworldly dangers,
he is Bom's uncle who adores her much like if she were his own child

 

The chairman gave his niece an endearing smile. Lightly flapping his majestic charcoal wings, the man walked around the sofa that Bom sat on and took a seat on the armrest. He leaned over to the coffee table to where an intricately designed teapot lay. He poured two cups of tea and offered one to the young girl.

 

"My dear Bommie, to what do I owe this unexpected visit?"

 

Bom brought the teacup to her nose and inhaled it deeply, lightly taking a sip she closed her eyes and relished in the bitter taste. The nurse may have her magic tea that gets her back on her feet, but nothing compares to feeling right at home after drinking some of her uncle's brewed tea.

 

"A little birdie told me that you missed me." She grinned up at him.

 

"That Miss Yoon huh..? She can never keep shut can she?" The man chuckled. "I merely stopped by to say hello and she completely misinterpreted my intentions."

 

"So you didn't ask about me at all...?" Bom pouted.

 

"Okay... maybe I wanted to check up on you a little bit...” His blood-like eyes flashed in her direction with a pensive look. “I've been really concerned as of late...."

 

Bom cast her eyes down, her fingers playing with the handle of the teacup. She knew he was talking about the increase of her 'accidents'. They had been getting out of control recently and she had an idea of why. Her mother explained to her at least that much about what she was going through. The chairman saw the distressed look on the young woman's face. He patted her lightly on the head.

 

“Don't worry Bom. You'll be fine. I'm doing everything in my power to prevent anyone from discovering the truth. If I don't, no doubt Noona will kill me.” The man chortled. Bom raised her eyes to him and smiled in gratitude.

 

“Your mother is equally as worried about you. I know she cannot help you directly but having people finding out without knowing the whole situation and putting you in danger is the last thing she'd ever want. Why else did you think she made sure that I did everything I could to protect you?”

 

“I know.” Bom felt the guilt well up inside her. Miss Yoon, Uncle, and her parents were trying their best to keep her safe and that fact continued to eat at her conscious. She felt the tears of her guilt begin to prick at the corners of her eyes. She sniffled slightly as she pulled her glasses away and dabbed at them with the sleeve of her sweater.

 

“Oh now don't cry Bom. Your mom hasn't been trying so hard in order for you to break down like this.” The chairman pulled a handkerchief from his suit pocket and held it out, Bom took it gratefully and continued to pat at her tears. The crow demon waited patiently as she tried to calm herself, still sniffling here and there.

 

“You have your mother's eyes.” He stated out of the blue. Bom just nodded silently. “And you have your father's stubborn attitude.” The man smiled as Bom's mood lightened as she giggled and shook her head.

 

“Papa wouldn't appreciate hearing those words coming from you.” Bom continued to giggle behind her hand as her eyes formed their adorable crescent shapes. Yes, the school chairman was Bom's uncle and her mother's younger brother, but they were not blood-related. The crow demon was her mother's brother through the marriage of his mother and her father, making them step siblings. That is why he was of a different monster type than Bom and her family. That did not stop him from falling for the pure and innocent charm of Bom when he first laid eyes on her newborn face the day his sister gave birth. He regarded her like he would his own daughter and his sister scolded him for spoiling her to no end. She claimed he should just get married himself and have his own daughter to fawn over, but with his busy schedule here at the academy there was no time to date or even think about raising a family. So he settled with continuing to watch over Bom as if she were his own and that made him happy enough.

 

“On a serious note though, I know you've probably been hearing this constantly from the school nurse, but you really need to start being much more careful. Perhaps it's time to start thinking about recruiting some help from a couple of your peers? I'm sure you have some close friends somewhere you can confide in. They will have a much easier time to watch closely over you in your classes where Miss Yoon and I can't.” Bom puffed out her cheeks in annoyance. Why does everyone keep encouraging her to make friends? Do they not think she's strong enough to handle this on her own?

 

Her thoughts then drifted to Dara. If what the girl had been claiming this morning was true then she'd have no choice but to rely on her for help. An uneasiness washed over Bom. She hadn't even told Minji the whole truth about herself and to be found out so easily after only having known this girl for a few weeks made her worried. In the year and half she had attended this school so far, Dara was the only person to invade the wall she had spent so long building around herself.

 

Bom flinched when the telephone on the chairman's desk began to ring. She watched her uncle get up from the armrest of the couch and make his way over to his desk to answer the call.

 

“Hello? Yes, this is Chairman Park... Oh you have? Thank you Secretary Shin.” The chairman looked up apologetically at Bom but she merely shook her head and stood up from her seat. She motioned that she was going to just leave so he could continue about his duties and waved goodbye to her uncle. He smiled as he reluctantly waved back. The bespectacled girl exited the lavish office and carefully closed the door behind her. She couldn't help but feel the need to act extra cautiously when meeting with the faculty of the school—let alone the school chairman himself. Turning back around to leave the vicinity of her uncle's office a deep, husky voice caused her to nearly jump out of her skin.

 

 

“Fancy meeting you here.”

 

Bom's mouth gaped open as she spun to the direction of the voice and spotted a figure leaning against the wall beside the doors she had just exited. Her gazed lifted up along a tall body and settled on the handsome features of someone whom she never expected to run into, let alone having him speak to her.

 

“Hi, I'm Kris.” The tall blonde gave her a coy smile as he stood up straight, towering over her and holding out his hand.

 

Bom's brows furrowed as she eyed him warily, ignoring his friendly gesture. “I know.” Who didn't know THE Kris Wu? Even as an introvert it was hard to ignore the rumors about the senior's reputation around school. A notorious playboy who was popular amongst not only the girls on campus but he was also somehow well respected by the males. Bom knew that he was a part of that Exo group and how he and Luhan were practically partners in crime.

 

Realizing that she was not going to reciprocate his handshake, Kris shrugged and shoved his hand into uniform pocket. “Oh so you've heard of me then?” Bom cringed at hearing the smugness in his voice. Although thinking about it now, hearing him say his name out loud made her feel like she had heard someone else say it before but she couldn't quite put her finger on it.

 

“Just your name.” She lied slightly. She didn't want to give him the wrong impression of being one of his groupies. A faint look of disappointment flashed across his face but it soon dissipated and was replaced with his trademark smug expression.

 

“Well since you already know my name I believe it's only fair that you tell me yours.” Bom was utterly bewildered at why Kris was striking up a conversation with someone like her in a place like this. Where was all of this coming from? Did he have some kind of a secret motive? Maybe she was having a prank being pulled on her? That had to be it! Feeling the tall boy's stares boring into her face Bom looked up at him and swallowed nervously.

 

“I'm Bom... Park Bom.” She finally replied hesitantly.

 

Kris appeared to be recalling something as she spoke her name. He had pulled his hand from his pocket and was using his index finger to scratch his chin as he thought for a moment. Bom merely raised an eyebrow at this. Finally, Kris let out an “Aha!” as a light lit up in his head. He pointed his finger at the startled girl.

 

“You're THAT Park Bom aren't you? The rumored Grim Reaper's daughter that everyone is afraid of?”

 

“Y-yes... that's me.” Bom wished that her voice would come out stronger and more intimidating but it wasn't possible.

 

“Yeah, I've heard about you and how you're always dressed like it's winter 24/7. Hahaha Baekhyun—I mean my friend said he found you to be a little spooky and I can see why.”

 

Bom only grew more confused. Baekhyun? Who was that? She simply brushed off the comment. Who didn't find her scary these days?

 

“Spookiness aside, what's someone like you doing coming out of the chairman's office?” A curious expression found it's way to Kris' sharp features. Bom tensed as she bit her lip.

 

“Nothing. I was just summoned to his office is all. He wanted to talk to me about... my grades.” Bom was always a terrible liar.

 

“Now that's strange, normally professors are in charge of overseeing students' grades. Why would the man with the highest position in all of the school want to talk to you about something like that?” Kris' suspicion of the slowly retreating girl rose.

 

“T-that's none of your business.” The anxious girl was feeling bothered by his interrogations and wanted nothing more to do with the nosy giant. Clenching her fists at her sides she spoke, “Anyways I need to go. I'm going to be late for class and you probably will too.” She her heels and took about three steps before the male's voice caught her in her tracks.

 

 

“Is that any way to treat the guy who saved you yesterday?” Bom froze in her spot, she felt her heart beat against her chest as fear seeped it's way into her body. She slowly turned around to face him and she saw him casually approach her, that damn smirk on his face looking as if he had caught a mouse.

 

“...what did you say?”

 

It couldn't be... Kris couldn't have been the one...

 

“I know you heard me. I was minding my own business yesterday when suddenly, I catch you falling over in an empty hallway. You looked like so I carried you to the nurse's office. You should be thanking me for my heroic efforts.”

 

When Bom's suspicions were confirmed she felt her breathing become erratic as the panic settled in.

 

“You... I... did I do anything?” Her memories of the moment were still rather fuzzy due to her blackout.

 

“You mean aside from try to get away from me when I tried to hold you up and continuously yelling 'No! No!' as if I were some kind of serial ? Then no.” Bom sighed in relief but that relief was short-lived when Kris began closing in the distance between them, causing her to retreat backwards until her back met with the wall.

 

“You know, that was the first time in my life a girl has ever rejected me.” He laid a palm against the wall above her head as he hovered above her. “It was a bit of a shocker, really.” Bom mentally rolled her eyes. Was that really his biggest concern right now? These men and their egos. Bom wanted nothing more than to tell him off but she feared that angering him was not the best idea in this situation.

 

“What happened to you anyway? When I carried you to the nurse she acted as if it was a normal occurrence and tried to shoo me away without so much of an explanation. Believe it or not, I was really concerned about your health. I freaked out when you suddenly passed out in my arms.”

 

“It's j-just a chronic illness. I've been seeing the nurse about it for some time now. It's nothing dangerous or anything...” Bom said while avoiding eye contact. Kris wasn't completely convinced, he sensed something was off about her. The petite girl looked up when she heard the light sound of flapping and her eyes widened when she saw large, menacing dragon wings emerge from behind Kris. He spread them slightly, forming a barrier to keep her from escaping.

 

“W-what are you...”

 

“Don't lie to me Bom. I know you're hiding something.”

 

“Even if I was trying to hide something. You're one of the last people I'd tell the truth to.”

 

“Woah now... where'd this spunk suddenly come from?”

 

“From the fact that I hardly even know you and you're suddenly invading my personal life.”

 

“The moment you passed out in my arms it was no longer personal.”

 

“Just who the hell do you think you ar—” Suddenly it hit Bom. Those familiar wings... the dirty blonde hair... voices echoed in her head.

 

 

You like that, Baby?”

 

Oh Kris yesss...! Harderrr~”

 

 

Bom's cheeks darkened to a cherry red color as she recalled the incident of having nearly walked in on that couple... ing. She didn't get a good look at the boy's face but she very distinctly recalled the name that the girl beneath him called out. It was Kris. This Kris. The very Kris who was within very close proximity of her, setting off alarm bells in her head. She needed to get away from this disgusting prick. He was dangerous.

 

Noticing the sudden change in the color of Bom's face, Kris brought his face closer to hers. “Are you alright? You look like you're heating up. Maybe you should take off your sweat—”

 

“No!!” Bom cried out as she mustered enough strength to bring her arms up and shove the dragon away. This caught him off guard and he stumbled a bit, flapping his wings to regain his balance. This allowed Bom an opening and she took it as she bolted off, not bothering to look back.

 

“Hey! Wait!!” She heard him call out but she still refused to stop.

 

Kris watched the retreating figure grow smaller and smaller as she ran. He didn't bother to chase after her. There would be more opportunities to confront her and find out the truth. Park Bom was an anomaly and he was determined to figure out what the hell she was hiding.

 

 

***

 

 

“Where is she?”

 

Dara stood outside the school entrance and tapped her foot impatiently. The final bell signaling the end of school had rung over 15 minutes ago. What was taking Bom so long? Had she stood her up? Did she not appreciate her blackmail and decide to run away? All of the brunette's paranoia washed away when she finally caught sight of the hooded teen casually making her way out of the school. She ran up to the girl with a huge grin.

 

“You're finally here!”

 

“Of course I am. It was part of our deal, right?” Dara pouted at hearing the world 'deal'.

 

“I was just a little worried because you were taking a while to get out.”

 

“Oh sorry, I just needed to stop by the library first.”

 

“Ah, I see. Well let's go shall we!” She grabbed the girl by her wrist and tugged her through the dark gates of their haunting academy.

 

Bom compliantly followed behind Dara as she lead her through what felt like a maze of twisting branches in one of the many forests that covered the mountain that their school sat on top of. Various creatures with glowing eyes skittered across trunks of trees, watching the girls carefully. After having trudged through the thickets of the creepy forests for a good thirty minutes the dirt path they walked along started to form a road and the number of trees reduced as a large open space was revealed.

 

“Do you always take this path to get home every day?”

 

“Of course. Why do you ask?”

 

“I don't know... it just seems a bit dangerous for a girl like you to be walking through those forests all by yourself.”

 

“Oh please, the monsters in that forest wouldn't hurt a fly. They've been watching over me for a long time and would never hurt me. In fact, you could call them my protectors.”

 

“Oh, is that how it is?” Dara nodded and Bom turned to look back at the forest slightly more at ease.

 

Bom noticed how the road they walked on had at some point transformed into cobblestone and it lead all the way up to the steel gates of a large, dark and eerie mansion. Bom looked on in surprise and wonderment. There was no way that this monstrous and terrifying home was Dara's.

 

“We're here!”

 

“This is your house??? This mansion?”

 

“Yup!” Dara beamed happily as she tugged at Bom's arm. The steel gates mysteriously opened as the two girls approached and they made their way to the front door that had a chillingly creepy door knocker in the shape of a skeletal hand mounted to it. Dara used it to rap against the door a couple times before calling out and announcing that she was home. The door finally opened with a creak and a butler in a black suit greeted them.

 

“Ah Miss Dara, you've finally made it home. And you brought a friend?” He looked surprised to see the nervous Bom shifting awkwardly behind the brunette.

 

“Yes. She will be joining us for dinner tonight so make sure the staff know to set up an extra plate at the dining table.”

 

“Yes Miss Dara.” The butler replied as he took her backpack for her. He offered to take Bom's but the girl merely shook her head and said she was fine with carrying it around. She took this time to scan the interior of the mansion. It was just as dark as the outside. The walls were decorated with old paintings and all the furniture was of a dark mahogany wood, very aged and old-fashioned. It was like she had stepped into Dracula's home. Was Dara perhaps a vampire? It sure didn't fit her image. Bom still found it unbelievable that the bright and bubbly girl lived in such a haunting mansion such as this. There was more to her than meets the eye that was for sure.

 

“So you've managed to bring me here. I'm assuming there's something more to my being blackmailed into coming here than just having dinner.” Bom crossed her arms across her chest. She thought she could see a mischievous glimmer in the other girl's eyes.

 

“You're a sharp one Bommie. But I'm afraid you're not sharp enough.” She giggled. Bom tilted her head.

 

“What do you mean by that?”

 

“My bluff of course!” Bom's arms slowly dropped to her sides.

 

“B-bluff?”

 

“The one about my knowing your secret. It was all a lie. A ruse.” The dark-haired girl's mouth dropped to the floor in shock.

 

“You mean you lied to me this morning?! But how could you have known... you said you saw me yester...” Bom paused before she revealed too much. But suddenly it made sense. After her run-in with Kris and his explanation of how nothing happened it would have been impossible for Dara to discover her secret. She mentally slapped a palm against her head at how stupid and blind she had been.

 

“I'm sorry for lying to you but it was the only way I could get to you come to my house.”

 

“Why did you need me to come all the way here anyways?”

 

“It's the only way to get you to trust me.”

 

“Lying and tricking me was the only way?”

 

“As bad as it sounds... yes. I may not know your true secret, but I know that you are hiding one. I can see how you've been having a hard time all by yourself so I wanted to prove to you that you can trust me enough to let me help you.”

 

“Why do you want to help me so much?”

 

Dara paused and stared down at the floor. “Because... because I know how it feels to be hiding a secret. I understand how it feels to know things that others don't and you can't tell anyone no matter what. I've been there and it . I just don't want to see you suffering through the same thing. That is why I need to prove myself.” Now Bom was intrigued. What could Dara have possibly gone through in the past that was relatable to her own situation?

 

“And how exactly are you going to prove to me that you're trustworthy?”

 

Dara drew in a deep breath and exhaled. “Come with me.” She motioned for Bom to follow her as she lead her down one of the various hallways. They stopped before a large wooden door at the end of the hallway. Dara opened it and ushered Bom in. It was a large office-like chamber. She couldn't help but compare it to her own uncle's office. It was much gloomier and serious-looking, albeit messy. Books and scrolls were littered everywhere. Whomever worked in this office must be a busy person.

 

As if reading her mind, Dara stated, “This is my father's office.”

 

“I see.” Bom noticed that behind the desk at the far back of the room was a large scarlet-colored curtain. She wondered if there was something other than a window hidden behind it. Once again as if she was in her mind, Dara approached the curtain.

 

“What did you bring me here for?”

 

“I told you. I needed to show you something in order to get you to trust me and that very thing is in this room.”

 

She didn't get it. “Why...? Why would you want me as a friend? Haven't you heard the rumors? Everyone else is afraid of me. They think that if they cross me something bad will happen.” Bom drew in a shaky breath, “It's true. If you hang around me you're not safe.”

 

“You're talking about the rumor that you're the Grim Reaper's daughter am I right? You don't have to be worried about me being afraid of you. I know that it's all a bunch of bull.” Taken aback, Bom's eyes widened.

 

“What makes you so sure?” Dara giggled at this. She wrapped a hand around one end of the dark fabric and walked across the floor, pulling it aside. Bom's eyes grew to the size of saucers as dropped to the stone-tiled floor. Beside Dara was a large oak and glass display case and laying carefully placed within that case was a sinister and demonic-looking scythe.

 

...

......

........

 

You're the Grim Reaper's daughter?!”

 

 

***

 

 

I'm so sorry that this update took so long! School and work is starting to catch up to me so I find myself not having the proper time to just sit and write like I used to. I hope that this slightly longer chapter makes up for it. I know some of you have been asking about Chaerin and why she hasn't shown up yet and don't you worry. She'll be coming up soon. Thank you all so much for your support with your comments, subscriptions and upvotes. I'm so happy that you all are enjoying it so far.

 

On another note, I am devastated by Luhan's news amongst all the other crazy stuff that has been going on with SM. I felt weird about how I was coincidentally writing about the two members who left as main characters but it won't stop me from continuing my story. I will continue to support all 12 boys and hope that everything works out for all of them in whatever they wish to pursue.