Best Way to One's Heart

School From Hell

Today was a treat yourself kind of day.

 

Bom her lips in anticipation. She enthusiastically fished around inside her backpack and smiled to herself as she pulled out a small snack bag. Eyeing the little cartoon illustration of a corn on the front, she tore it open in a flash and popped one of the slightly sweet morsels into , crunching it. She squealed softly to herself in bliss. There weren't many things that brought Bom happiness, but if you could name one, food was definitely somewhere at the top. She had a particular weak spot for corn-flavored snacks. Bom was in her own world as she ate. This of course led her to jump in her seat slightly when Dara's voice suddenly rang in her ear.

 

“You're so cute Bommie.” The dark aura-ed girl rigidly turned her head and stared at the girl. How long had she been sitting there? B-bommie? Since when did she start calling me that? Today it appeared that the brunette had chosen to sit in the desk next to her rather than behind her. Bom scowled, this sort of a set-up meant that Dara would have more chances to talk to her and she'd have a harder time ignoring chatty female.

 

“Your face when you eat something that you really like is just too adorable! I could watch you eat all day.” The perky girl stated. Bom stared at her surprised, not really sure what to make of that statement. She pursed her lips together. Should she humor the girl and say something...? Would that bring her hopes up too much?

 

“T...thank you?” The bespectacled girl finally let out, barely a whisper that only Dara could hear. But it was more than enough for her as a bright grin spread across her face.

 

“You finally spoke to me! With real words!!” The girl flailed about excitedly, garnering a few odd stares for their classmates. Bom regret having opened and just continued to eat her corn snack in embarrassment.

 

“Hey, if you'd like I could try making you something. I'm a really good cook and I know a few corn recipes!” This fact made Bom's ears perk up and the hand that was currently bringing a snack to her lips paused for a moment. Dara was quick to notice the hesitation in her and smiled mischievously. Bingo, found a way to get Bom open up to her.

 

“I'll let you try some of my cooking tomorrow. I'm sure you'll love it! No one has ever disliked my cuisine before.” Dara announced proudly. She was determined to win Bom's friendship no matter what it took, even if it meant going through the girl's stomach.

 

 

“It looks like the new girl is at it again.” Tao pointed out while yawning.

 

“I don't get it. What could possibly possess anyone to want to be friends with the walking rain cloud?” Lay looked in the two girls' direction with baffled expression. “You have to have some real balls in order to approach Bom two days in a row.” Tao chuckled while lazily resting his cheek in his palm.

 

“Hey where's Luhan? Isn't class starting soon?” Lay gave the vampire a shrug as his eyebrows raised.

 

“To be honest, I don't think we want to know where he is right now... God knows what he's already up to so early in the morning.” The unicorn shook his head when he remembered tearing the werewolf away from his morning “activity” just the day before. Lay couldn't always be there to stave off the boy's raging hormones. He figured he'd just leave him to his business this time. It was tiring always chasing after him.

 

 

***

 

 

The bell rang and Bom rushed to gather her things once more. She zipped out of the room before Dara could offer her company to their next classes much like she had tried yesterday. Taking quick steps, she made a beeline for her next class. Several students stumbled to the sides of the halls as she rushed past them. It wasn't often that she was seen in a hurry and people watched her dark figure with puzzled looks.

 

Bom had been in so much of a rush that she didn't notice a classroom door she had been passing slide open and a tall, lean figure walked straight into her, effectively knocking her to the floor. A few students who witnessed it gasped in shock. Whoever ran into Park Bom would definitely have their days numbered...

 

The hooded girl let out a small yelp as she felt her body make contact with the hard tile floor of the hallway. The contents of her backpack and the books she held in her grasp flew across the ground. Wincing, Bom pushed up her upper half with her arms.

 

“Ouch...” Bom whipped her head up to glare at whoever had knocked her down.

 

Staring back down at her was the dismayed and horrified face of one Xi Luhan. Smiling nervously, his wolf ears tensely flitted back and forth as he leaned down to help her up. She felt a strong grip wrap around one of her arms and easily lift her up back onto her feet. Without making eye-contact, she dusted herself off and bent back down to start gathering together her things.

 

“A-are you alright? I can help you with those...” The boy also bent down to help her. He reached out a hand to grab an old book but she was quick to swipe it before he could even touch it.

 

“It's okay I got it.” Bom stated a little harshly. Luhan pulled back defensively, afraid she might do something if he continued trying to aid her. They both stood back up and he looked at her with a concerned gaze.

 

“Are you sure you're okay? I can take you to see the nurse...”

 

“Oppa, what's going on? What was that sound?” Suddenly, the figure of a young woman with cat-like eyes and striped, pointed ears and a long, slender, striped tail emerged from the very same room Luhan had earlier. She sauntered her way to his side and leaned her chin on his shoulder while drawing a clawed finger down his arm. When her eyes landed on Bom she scrunched up her face.

 

What are you doing with that? Don't you know that being around her is dangerous?”

 

Bom rolled her eyes. She carefully examined both of their appearances. Luhan's tie was askew as well as were some of the buttons he had actually managed to button. The girl's hair was tousled and slightly tangled and the lipstick she wore was smudged at the corner of . Bom may not pay much attention to the world outside of her books and her snacks but she wasn't ignorant. She was aware of Luhan's reputation amongst the student body, of his womanizing nature. All of these points plus the fact that they had both come out of the same room just now left little to the imagination of what they had been up to in there. Still, Bom couldn't help the heat she felt rising in her cheeks. This was the second day in a row that she had happened upon her peers doing lewd things on campus. Really, was there no other place to deal with their needs? What was with the people at this school?

 

“We just had a little accident just now is all, babe. I was offering to her to the infirmary. It was kind of my fault after all.” Luhan smiled sheepishly.

 

Bom squinted her eyes in disgust, aware that they wouldn't even be able to tell behind her thick glasses. “I don't need your help.” And with that she brushed past the two, leaving Luhan to stare at her retreating figure with his mouth slightly agape.

 

“Well that was rude.” The tiger female huffed placing a hand on her hip.

 

 

***

 

 

The next day Luhan actually attended home room of his own will that morning. He relayed the events that happened between him and Bom to the curious vampire and unicorn.

 

“Wow, and you're still alive?” Tao said, a shocked look on his face.

 

“Well I'm here breathing before you aren't I?” Luhan replied.

 

“Maybe there's a three-day grace period before you meet your end. Like, maybe the Grim Reaper gives you three days to enjoy your life before he cuts you off like that!” Lay suggested ending his sentence with a snap of his fingers.

 

Luhan's eyes widened as he shivered and his brows furrowed in panic. “Don't say stuff like that man! You're freaking me out. I'm too young and handsome to die!” The other two just cackled evilly at the werewolf's distress.

 

At that moment Bom made her entrance and nonchalantly sat at her desk. Tao and Lay watched with amused glances as Luhan gulped and sweat dropped down his temples. Should he go and try to beg for mercy so that she may spare his life? His worried thoughts were cut short however, when the door slid open once more and several gasps erupted.

 

 

“Minho! Are you okay man?” Another boy rushed up to the rather ghastly boy.

Choi Minho
16, Behemoth, athletic and lively, friendly, plays soccer

 

The boy known as Minho merely dragged his feet across the floor as he made his way to his desk with the help of his classmate. There was a distant look in his eyes and he had dark circles that were so deep they even rivaled Tao's own panda-like eyes. The way he dragged his hunched body made it seem like it weighed tons. He slumped in his desk chair and continued to look off into space. The boy looked utterly drained of his life force.

 

“What happened to you?” Another student asked.

 

“.....” There was an awkward silence from the dazed boy.

 

“You look like crap. Did something happen to you yesterday?” Minho appeared to be searching his thoughts

 

“..I... I don't know... I just woke up suddenly so tired... drained... no energy.” He barely let out with his dry and pale lips.

 

"Can you recall if you did anything that may have made you like this?"

 

“I don't... remember. I don't remember anything.... the last thing I can recall is leaving my last class for the day yesterday and then the rest after that is a blur...”

 

“Were you attacked?”

 

I-I... I don't know...” The weak boy grabbed at the sides of his head. “...all I know is that my body feels so heavy...” His voice drew softer with each word he spoke. His friends around him glanced at each other with concern in their eyes. This was highly unlike the boy. When he normally came into class he was lively, smiling and chatting happily with everyone. Seeing him in this state was rather alarming.

 

 

“What do you think is going on with that guy over there? Isn't he on the soccer team with you Luhan? He looks terrible, like a zombie or something.” Tao watched the boy cautiously.

 

“Last I checked, he was a Behemoth not a zombie.” Lay stated, “I wonder if something really bad happened to him. It seems like he can't remember it though. That's rather strange... I feel bad for the guy.”

 

“That is strange... the Minho I know has always been an energetic and active guy. It's bizarre to see him appear so weak like this.” Luhan added. He glanced around the room and paused when a something caught his attention.

 

Sitting silently in her seat with her head turned, staring intensely at the troubled boy was Bom. It was subtle, but he could faintly see a tenseness set in her jaw as she looked at him. Luhan found it odd, seeing as Bom typically would ignore everyone and everything around her. Why is she suddenly interested in that boy now? Could she possibly know something?

 

He watched her carefully as she turned her gaze away. He couldn't read much from her backside but he knew that something was up. His eyes flicked across the room when the door slid open again and Dara's figure came bouncing happily in. She paused momentarily when she saw that a small crowd had gathered around the Behemoth student but continued to make her way to the suspicious girl anyways.

 

 

“Good morning Bommie!”

 

Bom looked up from her book and nodded her head. She replied with a soft, “Good morning..”

 

Plopping down in the desk beside the reading girl, Dara leaned over and whispered, “What's going on over there?” She jerked a finger over her shoulder to where the students were huddled around Minho. “Did something happen to that guy?”

 

Bom swallowed. “I don't know... I haven't been paying attention.”

 

“Ah, I forgot. You probably don't care for that sort of stuff huh? Well anyways, I brought you a present!”

 

Bom's brows rose slightly at the mention of a 'present'. She watched Dara carefully from the corner of her eyes as the girl shuffled through her backpack searching for something. Finally she lifted out a small package wrapped in a cute bunny-print handkerchief. She smiled as she held it out to Bom.

 

“A delicious homemade lunch for you made by yours truly~” Bom hesitated. She studied the little bunnies bouncing happily around the box-shaped object. “Go on, take it!”

 

Placing her book onto her desk, Bom dipped her head in gratitude as she accepted the boxed meal with both of her sleeve-covered hands.

 

“...thank you.” The girl tried her best to hide her excitement behind her glasses but Dara was no fool. A silly grin spread across her delicate features when she saw Bom hold the lunchbox carefully and chew her bottom lip in anticipation. She had tossed out the line. Now she just needed to wait for the shy girl to take a bite and reel her in.

 

 

***

 

 

Minji gave Bom a look of puzzlement when the girl came in at her usual time, sat down at a table and pulled out an adorably wrapped box of some sort from her backpack. There was something odd about it as she couldn't imagine Bom bringing something of that nature from her home. She held back a giggle as the older girl stared at it in her lap in wonder. Bom her lips, looking forward to what may lay hidden underneath the cloth. Finally, she untied the knot and opened up the lunchbox. Her eyes widened in surprise at the appetizing site before her. She drank in the various dishes before her eyes—all of which incorporated corn in some way or another. The delectable scent wafted to her nose, making her wriggle excitedly in her seat.

 

She carefully picked up a piece of one of the dishes with her chopsticks and brought it to her lips. She chewed it slowly and her eyes widened. She let out a small squeal of pleasure as she proceeded to taste the rest of the food. Dara hadn't been lying about her excellent cooking skills and she was more than grateful for it.

 

Minzy finally let out a small giggle as she watched Bom happily stuff her face.

 

“You really love food don't you Unnie?”

 

There was no reply as Bom was too occupied inhaling the dishes at an ungodly rate.

 

“You really are cute.” This time Bom coughed, nearly choking on a corn kernel as she shot a glare at the younger girl. Why did people keep saying that whenever she ate? She then pouted over at Minzy from across the table that was littered in books.

 

“Shut up.”

 

 

The next few days went along similarly as it had that first day Bom accepted the lunch. After she had returned the cleaned lunch box to Dara, she was presented with another delicious homemade meal. This repeated on for days like clockwork, and slowly but surely Bom became less and less cautious with the girl, speaking to her more gradually as the days went on.

 

Dara was thrilled with the progress she was making, but she still didn't feel that she was on friendly enough terms with the gloomy girl. Aside from their morning exchanges she never really made contact with Bom outside that classroom. She had to do something... something to prove to Bom that she was someone she could trust and confide in. And suddenly... it dawned on her. Yes, that is exactly what she needed to do to gain her trust.

 

“You can do this Dara... this is the last step.” She nodded to herself.

 

 

***

 

 

The final bell rang signaling the end of school for the day. Bom made her way to her locker to gather the rest of her things. She patted her tummy happily, remembering the wonderful meal she partook in that day thanks to the ever-so-friendly and persistent Dara.

 

As her locker came into her sight she took another step forward but suddenly she was hit with a wave of dizziness. She immediately doubled over and collapsed to the ground. She held her head in pain as her vision began to blur.

 

“N..no... not now...” she whispered to herself as she struggled to pull herself back up. “I need... to get home...”

 

She heard footsteps approach her and through her blurred vision she vaguely made out the face of a male student.

 

“Do you need help? You don't look so good...” Bom tried to shake her head.

 

“No...” she replied weakly. “Just go away..!” she attempted to yell but her voice failed her. The boy ignored her words and tried to help her up but her legs felt like gelatin, making her slump against him. As much as Bom wanted to push away from him her body was at a point where she could hardly move.

 

She tried to voice something out loud but feared it was only in her head that she spoke.

 

Get away... And then everything went black.

 

***

Here's the next chapter everyone! I'm sorry for any typos I'm kind of rushing to get this updated before I leave for school haha. ;; I hope you enjoy!