Catching the Mastermind

That town called Mamacita

Jungsu ditches the gun as soon as he’s out of sight from the main street. “I can’t believe I just shot the Sheriff.” He says, a big grin spreading across his face.

He lays low, something he figured Heechul would insist upon, especially after shooting a lawman. Unfortunately his desire to get rid of the crown to Heechul and get the money the younger man has promised him outweighs his desire to keep himself safe.

It’s nearing the late afternoon when Jungsu creeps out of the alley next to Heechul’s bar, the main street of the town strangely empty and quiet. ‘Silly people probably hiding after what happened earlier.’ Jungsu thinks.

Even Kyuhyun’s gone from his spot at the table in front of Heechul’s bar. Jungsu doesn’t feel the least bit of remorse for abandoning Shindong to that bounty hunter, and since Kyuhyun hadn’t bothered to come find him, or help him out before he’d resorted to violence, Jungsu’s quite sure that the tall gambler is bluffing on all of his threats.

Jungsu glances up and down the deserted main street, as he creeps slowly and quietly to the steps that lead up to the entrance to the bar. Cautiously he steps up onto the walkway, and is right at the swinging doors to the inside of the bar when he grins, excitement coursing through his veins.

Jungsu walks through the doors to Heechul’s bar, a smile on his face, the box held proudly in his hands. He’s made it, this final step before he can sneak off to the little shack he’d called home, gather his things and quietly disappear from the country.

“Hey Heechul, I have something for you.” Jungsu says proudly.

Heechul turns, Sally standing next to him. She’s known for a while now that Heechul has been helping someone in exchange for money, but she’d never expected it to be the infamous thief. She glances over at the man she thought she’d known and was suddenly glad she’d made Kyuhyun promise to tell Siwon that Heechul was up to something.

“Oh, Jungsu!” Heechul smiles.

“I’m here for my payment!” He sets the box down, laughter bubbling out of his chest as Heechul turns to him.

“Ah, so you are.” Heechul replies. “I promised you 1,000,000 won for this item didn’t I?”

“Ahh, no no no!" Jungsu replies placing a hand over the box. “I think it was 2,000,000 won for this beauty!”

Heechul clears his throat at amount Jungsu has told him, turning and picking up the rifle he’d kept handy incase Jungsu had caused another scene. Heechul chuckles, knowing the outlaw has a thing about guns being pointed at him. “So, about that amount?”

He blows on the barrel of the rifle, and Jungsu starts laughing again after a moment. “Oh you are right! It was 1,000,000 won.” He says, turning the box, opening it to reveal the crown inside.

“Ooh this is it?” Heechul says softly, pulling the crown out so the jewels catch in the soft glow of the lanterns on the wall.

Jungsu’s eyes grow wide again at the sight of the bejeweled crown as Heechul glances over at Sally. She barely looks at the thing before she goes back to cleaning.

Heechul places the crown back in the box, and turns, reaching down and grabbing two sacks full of gold pieces. It’s not the won that Jungsu’s expecting, but Heechul has been carefully counting the gold he gets from customers and other business transactions in Seoul that he figures the amount is about the equivalent of 1,000,000 won.

Jungsu watches Heechul like a hawk, both men, and Sally unaware they are being watched carefully by two men hidden in the shadows. Heechul sets the bags of gold down on the bar, as Jungsu grins happily, giving 2 thumbs up to the older man.

Jungsu nods at Heechul, grabbing the bags, more laughter bubbling up out of his body as he realizes he’s really free and won’t have to deal with Heechul or stealing ever again. He’s got plans to make himself a nice life where it isn’t so damn hot in the summer and blistering cold in the winter.

Heechul looks over at Sally who’s shaking her head and frowning. “What?” Heechul mouths to her.

“He’s such a fool.” She mouths back, her fingers clenching the rag in her hands.

Meanwhile, Siwon is lurking outside of the bar, after being tipped off by Kyuhyun through Kangin that the thief had been spotted walking back towards the main street through the alley. He turns to watch the older man place the box he’d stolen onto the bar, the conversation between Heechul and Leeteuk barely audible even though he’s not far from the door.

Siwon nods as he watches Heechul pull out the bags, and Leeteuk grab them before he realizes that the man is going to be coming out of the bar any moment now and he needs to leave. ‘I’ve got you now, Park Jungsu.’ Siwon thinks, turning and dashing through the alley next to the bar. He slips into the back of the bar where Kyuhyun lets him in. “You see the exchange?” Kyuhyun whispers.

“Yup. Saw the entire thing with both eyes wide open.” Siwon whispers back. “Let’s go burst some bubble eh?”

Jungsu does a little happy dance before he walks out of the doors, suddenly accosted by Donghae’s gun in his face. Shindong’s still tied up in ropes, and Ryeowook’s clutching the blacksmith’s other arm like the man is about to run away.

“ hyung, run!” Shindong screams at him as Jungsu stares in shock at the gun pointed in his face.

“Yah!” Kangin races up, fury all over his face. “You broke my precious watermelon!”

Sungmin’s standing there as well, finger pointed at the thief, who’s now panicking and surprised at Kangin’s sudden outburst. “Yah! You stole something from me!” Sungmin throws out to confuse and panic the man even more.

Jungsu turns from the accusations, intending to flee through the back entrance of Heechul’s bar when suddenly Siwon shoves through the doors, gun pointed at Heechul who’s got his hands up in surrender.

Jungsu leaps from the walkway, even more shocked that Heechul’s been caught by the Sheriff, falling down in his panicked state.

Kangin grabs him, forcing the thief up with strength that Jungsu didn’t think the skinny blond haired man had.

All Eunhyuk and the girls can do is stand off to the side, dancing and cheering that the thief has been caught. Siwon shoves Heechul down the steps to stand in front of Jungsu, and Sungmin grabs a hold of the bartender with satisfaction.

Before anything else can be said or done, a dark shadow comes out from behind Siwon, as the Sheriff stands proudly on the walkway. Kyuhyun walks out slowly into the crowd, face stoic as he hands the crown to Siwon.

Kyuhyun’s already thanked Sally for her cooperation in the whole matter, and Siwon’s promised that she’ll not be punished because she told them about the plan. Leeteuk watches in disbelief as Kyuhyun handed the crown to Siwon.

Kyuhyun smirks, pulling out his right hand and showing off the deputy star he had received as a mark of his office. Gasps were audibly heard from the crowd as those who didn’t know Kyuhyun was also a law man saw the evidence of his position as he stands next to Siwon.

“Oh my god!” Jungsu’s the loudest of the gasps, with Kangin turning to keep the struggling thief in line.

Kyuhyun places the star on his coat jacket, smiling as Siwon shows off the crown before handing it over to Sungmin.

“It looks intact.” Sungmin smiles, glad to see the crown back safely in his hands. “Thank you Sheriff for saving my precious cargo, and thank you Kyuhyun for all your hard work!”

Jungsu’s still babbling incoherently in shock over the whole thing and Kangin has to slap the man to bring him back to his senses.

Heechul stares at Jungsu in quiet anger as Donghae smirks and points his gun back at Shindong, who’s angry enough to struggle earnestly. “Let me at that lousy excuse for a thief!” He shouts.

Kyuhyun’s shuffling his cards in his hands again, a smile on his face at all the commotion in the main street. The mastermind behind the thief has been caught and he’s sure Siwon’s going to get a nice reward for all 3 captures.

The others set to work getting Jungsu, Heechul and Shindong tied up as Donghae smiles over at Ryeowook. “I could use a haircut. What do you say?”

“Come right this way!” Ryeowook smiles.

Siwon holds the crown in his hand while Sungmin gets everything ready to place the last piece of his customer’s property before it’ll be moved to Seoul to the bank there to be distributed to their owners.

“Here Sheriff.” Kangin hands the man a sliced piece of apple. “Oh the house for such fine work!”

“Thank you Kangin.” Siwon smiles, raising the piece in thanks at the man before devouring it. He’s going to be sitting pretty for quite some time thanks to this capture.

Kyuhyun’s holding onto the rope that binds all 3 men together. He’s going to personally see them handed off to the county deputy who will take them back to the original site of Leeteuk’s first theft to be tried. The man hadn’t been happy when he’d arrived earlier in the week to find that Leeteuk had escaped after being captured, but after Kyuhyun had told him the plan, the man had agreed to wait to see if the plan came to fruition or not. He’d been staying with Siwon the entire time, and no one had even noticed the man since he didn’t come out for any type of social interaction.

“I’m ready for the crown.” Sungmin calls, smiling as he stands next to the bank wagon.

“Look at it long and hard boys!” Siwon chuckles as he goes to Sungmin, showing off the crown to the captured men, all three of them looking at it with ill-disguised want and disgust on Heechul’s part.

Siwon places the crown into the box that Sungmin is holding, the banker smiling proudly as he is reunited with the pricey item. “Hyung, I’m off to the exchange point.” Kyuhyun says, tugging at the rope.

“Have fun!” Siwon waves as Sungmin puts the lid on the box, locking it and pocketing the key before closing the gate of the wagon. Kyuhyun nods, walking off, the three captured men grumbling as they begrudgingly are tugged along by Kyuhyun.

Sungmin turns after locking the gate to the wagon, bumping Siwon and smiling as they shake hands, watching the men being led away.

“Good job.” Sungmin says again as they stand there.

“Thank you. It couldn’t have been done without your help.” Siwon smiles.

They watch as the figures of Kyuhyun leading the criminals to their next destination fade down Main Street as life in Mamacita slowly goes back to normal. Eunhyuk waving his red sheet around while the girls look on in awe. Kangin rubbing the watermelons in his fruit cart, waving off any bugs that may harm his merchandise and Ryeowook cutting hair for his clients. Sungmin counting money in his bank, and Siwon lounging carelessly in front of his office, polishing his guns, waiting for the next big outlaw to be seen in the town called Mamacita.


A/N: OMG I can't believe this story is finally done. It's one of the shortest chaptered fics I've written in a long time, and I enjoyed writing every single moment of it (and watching the drama mv over and over again). 

As always, let me know what you think, I have absolutely loved all the feedback I've gotten so far, and I want to thank all you lovely readers for subscribing and commenting!