Heechul's Bar

That town called Mamacita

Across the way from the Sheriff’s office was Heechul’s bar, which was situated right next to Kim Ryeowook’s barber shop. Heechul never really liked Ryeowook, preferring the company of the saloon girl he employed over some of the others in the tiny town. Heechul only suffered Ryeowook’s presence because the man was good at being a Barber, and he’d rather spend his hard earned money in town than go to one of the other towns to get it cut. That and the simple fact was, Ryeowook enjoyed having a drink or two every night.

Heechul sighs, looking over at his pristine saloon with a touch of pride, and yet, a touch of sadness. He should be in one of the larger cities with his bar, but uprooting and moving out of Mamacita was expensive and he just barely had enough funds from the miserable lot of people that made up the town to keep his bar stocked with a good variety of alcohols to keep any visitors passing through the town satisfied into buying more than one drink.

“Hey, Heechul, I need to go out of town for a few days. Visit the parents.” His only saloon gal, Sally said as she came out of the back room, tying an apron around her dress, even though they both know this time of day meant only locals will come in for a drink.

Heechul knows he could probably make more money if he’d set up shop in a larger city like Yangju or Seoul, especially if Sally went with him, as she’s probably the only reason he still gets money from the locals. Sally’s not from Mamacita, which was a godsend for Heechul. He nods at Sally. “That’s fine. I was thinking of closing the bar for a few days and taking a trip up to Seoul myself.” He replied, wiping down the already pristine bar top.

Just about the time he figures Ryeowook will come into the bar for a drink after closing up his shop, the swinging saloon doors open, the sound alerting Heechul someone’s come in. “The usual Wookie?” Heechul asks, turning around and reaching for Ryeowook’s favorite liquor without looking up. He’s refused to oil the squeaky swinging doors for years now, preferring the sound to alert him to either a customer or a visitor.

“If Wookie is a drink and is the special of the day, then sure.” The unfamiliar male voice has a quality to it that reminds Heechul of his days as a kid when he’d go traveling with his dad to learn new drinks at other bars.

Looking up, Heechul’s surprised to see the tall male in a suit situating himself at one of the tables, a stack of cards already out and being shuffled in front of him. “You passing through?” Heechul asks, leaning on the bar top.

“Nope. Taking a respite here.” The man replies, frowning as he pulls out the first card and turns it over.

“Ah. Any particular drink you are fond of then?” Heechul asks. “I have a large stock even though we’re in a tiny town.” He adds to the stranger.

The stranger smirks and glances over at the impressive stock of liquor behind Heechul. “I’ll have ginger ale with a dash of vodka.” He tells Heechul. “If that’s not a problem for you to make.” He adds.

“No problem. I’m Kim Heechul by the way.” Heechul figures he might as well introduce himself to the stranger, especially if the man was staying in town. “Where are you staying?” He asks conversationally as he’s mixing the drink.

“I’m Cho Kyuhyun.” The man smiles at Heechul as he introduces himself, the quite atmosphere of the bar making it easy for them to carry on a conversation as he’s the only customer there. “I’m staying with an old friend.” He said in response to Heechul’s other question, though he purposely doesn’t mention Siwon. The scheme he’s brewing in the back of his mind being successful counts on no one in the town suspecting he’s Siwon’s new deputy. He’s told Siwon not to mention that fact to anyone who asks about Kyuhyun, claiming he wants to get a feel for the town and its residents before the news is made public.

While Heechul is making Kyuhyun’s drink, the gambler takes the quiet moment to scope out the bar. While it doesn’t look anything fancy, the fact that Heechul’s got some pretty expensive looking liquors stocked behind the bar doesn’t miss Kyuhyun’s eye. He also notes the fact that Heechul only employs one person, a young woman who doesn’t look like she’s from Mamacita.

Shuffling the deck in his hand, Kyuhyun hums his thanks as Heechul slides the drink onto the table, having left the area behind the bar empty for the moment.

“Is it usually this dead?” Kyuhyun asks conversationally while he finishes shuffling his deck.

Heechul nods. “If there aren’t any travelers on their way to Seoul, the locals come around once they are done closing up their shops or offices.” He looks at Kyuhyun with interest. “I wouldn’t be surprised if you get bombarded by the locals. It’s rare we have anyone who comes in from out of town this late that isn’t family or friends.” He warns.

Kyuhyun nods. “I expect that will be the case.” He agrees.

The swinging doors sound a moment later, admitting the slightly later than usual Ryeowook, whose accompanied by the local blacksmith, Shindong. Heechul leaves Kyuhyun alone to go mix drinks for the two, leaving the gambler to his observations and thoughts.

Kyuhyun already knows that Kangin, the general store owner he’d met earlier when he was with Siwon, won’t be coming into the bar, having met the man earlier who said he was going to be heading to Seoul to pick up some things.

Just thinking of Kangin makes Kyuhyun smirk. He’s got big plans for the poor general store owner if his hunch is correct. There’s something that Kyuhyun hadn’t told Siwon earlier about one particular wanted outlaw in that stack of posters.

Thief Leeteuk had been spotted not too far from Mamacita, and the reports from those who’d interacted with the man without knowing he’s wanted for theft, had mentioned to Kyuhyun and the deputy he’d been training with that Leeteuk had specifically mentioned the tiny town as one of those that he’d planned on taking a short break at.

Kyuhyun’s 99.9% sure that Leeteuk’s been planning his thefts with someone who’s got more brains than him. It’s rare that a thief can get away from capture for more than a few months, but Leeteuk’s been on a streak that has outlasted all the others, and for this the Department of Justice in Seoul had to put the thief on the wanted list.

As Kyuhyun take a sip of the drink, humming appreciatively at how well Heechul’s mixed it, he watches the interactions between the 3 males in the bar. He doesn’t even register that Sally is in the room until she slides up next to him, a pretty smile on her face. “Heechul said you’re new in town?” She practically purred.

Kyuhyun’s hands falter a little with the slight quell of seduction evident in her voice. “Yup. Taking a much needed vacation from the cards circuit.” He drawls, changing up his voice a little to sound worldlier than he really is. He’s pulled this trick on a number of girls in the past when they hang on him after a big win.

Sally sits down, knowing Heechul won’t care since he’s taking care of Shindong and Ryeowook. She introduces herself to Kyuhyun, smiling prettily at him when he replies with his own introduction politely, though they both know he doesn’t have to. By the time Kyuhyun leaves the bar later, every resident in Mamacita will know his name and occupation thanks to Heechul.

Heechul plays the good bartender to his friends, unaware that they are all being watched from outside the bar.

 

A/N: Wow...I'm surprised I"m writing short little chapters instead of long ones for this story, but that's probably a good thing for me since I've been writing in between classes and homework. Let me know what you think!