Theft and Blackmail

That town called Mamacita

Jungsu hides behind the back of the bar, careful not to be seen by anyone as Heechul had instructed. He’s glad to be out of the jail cell, and equally as glad that they’d gotten Shindong into the plan to break him out.

Shindong’s starting to become desperate to pay back his loans for his blacksmithing shop only because he’s been thinking about giving it up and he’s rather be debt free when he sells the shop so the money can be used to move to Seoul.

Heechul had figured out Shindong’s predicament the week he’d left for Seoul to give his uncle his monthly payment on the loan for his bar, which is how he’d roped the blacksmith into helping him and Jungsu out for their plan to get the bar some business. Heechul’s got enough money now that he can pay off his uncle, and possibly find a new bar establishment in Seoul that he can put a down payment on and get the heck out of Mamacita.

Jungsu’s about ready to dart across the street to the blacksmith’s shop when he spots something sparkly and shiny out of the corner of his eye. It’s the banker with something in his hands, a smile on his face and a glazed out glint in his eyes as he holds up a bejeweled crown in front of his face.

Jungsu’s suddenly thankfully his eyes like to roam as he stands at the mouth of the alley in between the barber shop and the bar, staring at the crown in Sungmin’s hands as the banker walks down the step to the ground from the bank. Seeing the idiotic bull fighter that Heechul always complains about standing in front of the barber shop, Jungsu pulls the small guitar off his back, thankful he’s got a new poncho and hat to blend into the small population of Mamacita.

Strumming the guitar softly, he starts walking to the front of the alley, carefully hiding his body from the open door of the Sheriff’s office not knowing that Siwon’s actually in the bar getting drunk. He can hear the girl that’s with the bull fighter oohing and aahing over the man as he attempts to look stunning as he throws the red sheet around. The sounds of cards being dealt and murmurs of a cards game going on his left doesn’t distract Jungsu from the shiny that is practically blinding him.

Sungmin twirls around in a circle with the crown in his hands, the wagon that he’s going to use to transport the bank shipment ready for him to place the crown into its box. As he spots Kyuhyun and Ryeowook playing a new card game, the strumming of a guitar sounds softly over the strikes of the hammer of Shindong at his forge. Sungmin glances up to see the thief that Kyuhyun had told him about, standing at the mouth of the alley, eyes transfixed on the crown in Sungmin’s hands as he twirls around once more to get the glint of the sunlight glaring off the jewels. ‘Well, I guess here’s where things get tricky.’ Sungmin thinks as he places the crown into the box.

Jungsu’s gotten Shindong’s attention with strumming his guitar, and he points to the wagon, giving Shindong a thumbs up and a huge grin as he wipes the drool that’s apparently shown up on his chin. The blacksmith gives him the ok signal and stops pounding on the horse shoe he’s making at the forge, walking casually over towards the wagon, and spotting the crown as Sungmin places it into the box.

Two of the local girls who aren’t staring at the bullfighter wander down the street in front of Shindong as he goes over to distract Sungmin so Jungsu can steal the shiny crown and run away safely.

“Hey.” Shindong pats Sungmin on the shoulder, walking over to one of the wheels on the wagon. “I think you have something wrong here.” He says to the banker, motioning him close as he points at the spoke of the wheel.

“Where?” Sungmin goes over to Shindong, getting crowded away from the gate of the wagon as Shindong bends him over to inspect the spoke.

Shindong bends Sungmin over the spoke, holding the man down a little as Jungsu stares on, anxious and almost half starting toward the wagon. “Here.” Shindong says, pushing Sungmin’s face closer to the wheel, while waving Jungsu over from side.

Jungsu starts sprinting toward the wagon, tripping over his own feet in his haste to get to the crown to steal it before he gets caught. Grabbing the box that holds the crown, Jungsu takes off with it as Shindong pulls Sungmin into a choke hold, the banker attempting to stop the thief from stealing the box.

Shindong holds the petite banker easily with one hand, the other reaching for the small hammer on his belt and knocking the banker out with a light tap to his head. Well, for Shindong it was light, but it was enough to stun the smaller man. The banker falls down as Ryeowook jumps up from across the dusty street and Shindong runs off away from the scene.

Siwon’s downing another shot and making Heechul take a shot with him when the disgruntled and downtrodden Sheriff grabs the star off his jacket, ready to fling the piece of metal away from his body. Heechul’s trying to console Siwon when suddenly they both hear screaming from outside the bar.

“Sheriff!” Ryeowook is yelling towards the entrance of the bar, his hand pointing to where Sungmin’s sprawled out on the dusty street, the back of the wagon open. “Hey! Sheriff!”

Siwon stares at the star that marks his office for a moment, hearing the screams of Ryeowook and steeling his resolve, jams the badge back on his jacket, and races outside, adrenaline overriding the alcohol in his system.

Kyuhyun is still sitting passively in the chair as Ryeowook flings his hand toward Sungmin, and Siwon’s eyes widen at the sight of the banker out cold on the ground. Without even thinking about questioning Ryeowook, Siwon races over to Sungmin’s prone body, shakes him for a moment to confirm the man is passed out and races off down the street where he can see a set of tracks and what looks like remnants of a broken watermelon.

Kyuhyun eyes Siwon as the Sheriff takes off, then saunters over to Sungmin, taking care that no one really sees him reaching into the unconscious man’s right pocket and pulling the key to the crown’s trunk out.

“What did you just do?” Ryeowook gasps as Kyuhyun comes back, a smile on his face and shuffling the cards in his hands.

“I’m ensuring that Sungmin will get his property back.” Kyuhyun’s decided now is a good time to tell the poor Barber that he’s Siwon’s deputy, being careful not to speak too loudly.

Eunhyuk’s still showing off to his lady friend, and Shindong’s raced off to hide, no doubt scared that Kyuhyun or Ryeowook are going to find him. Kyuhyun’s 99% sure that Heechul’s probably working off the alcohol that he’s drunk with Siwon, and Kangin’s nowhere to be seen in the street next to his fruit cart.

Once Kyuhyun finishes swearing Ryeowook to secrecy, he sneaks off in search of the blacksmith, intending to find a way to get in on the deal he has with Leeteuk.

Kangin’s sitting in front of his shop, smiling and happily cleaning around his fruit cart, chasing away bugs and other vermin from getting to his fruit as he’s moving around the cart with a perfectly good watermelon that he wants to keep for himself. It’s rare that he has more than one melon this month as the selection in Seoul hadn’t been so good.

Suddenly he feels a hard push and someone scrambling to keep their balance and grab onto whatever they were holding from crashing to the ground as Kangin watches helplessly as the watermelon he’d been holding goes into pieces on the dusty street.

“Hey!” Kangin shouts, as the man runs over his watermelon with a panicked face and continues down the street. “Awe no that was a perfectly good watermelon!”

Siwon should be surprised that Kangin’s throwing a temper tantrum in the street next to a smashed watermelon as he sees Leeteuk vanishing around a corner, but is surprised when the man gets up and starts chasing after the thief.

“Go away!” The blacksmith’s voice is clearly recognizable as the knocking persisted on his doorstep. He’s hiding in his house, scared he’ll be arrested for aiding Jungsu as the theft happened in broad daylight, in front of witnesses and he’s pretty sure that Kyuhyun’s been watching him for a while. He’s been wary of the gambler since the man came into town a month ago.

“Donghee it’s me.” The familiar soothing voice of Jungsu calls out softly. “Let me in!”

Shindong’s not surprised that Jungsu knows his real name. Heechul must have let it slip at some point in his talks with the thief. Opening the door, he’s shoved aside as Jungsu practically flies into the living room, his hands empty.

“Where’s the box….” Shindong’s voice trails off as a tall shadow falls across the floor.

“Yes, where is the box?” Kyuhyun smirks, shuffling cards in his hands. “I saw what you did back there, Park Jungsu, aka Leeteuk the Thief, and Shin Donghee, aka Shindong the Blacksmith.” His smirk only grows wider as both Shindong and Jungsu cower before the intimidating gambler with the evil looking smirk on his face.

“What are you going to do about it?” Shindong asks more confidently than he currently feels.

“Why, I want in on your little plan for whatever is in the box.” Kyuhyun’s careful not to mention the item inside the box, pretending he’s only seen the theft and not Sungmin prancing around with the bejeweled item.

“What box?” Jungsu asks shakily, glancing at Shindong.

“That box you stole from the banker today.” Kyuhyun’s smirk is growing deeper by the second.

“What do we get in exchange for letting you in on our plans?” Shindong’s becoming unnerved by that smirk and it’s causing him to want to give into Kyuhyun’s demands.

“I won’t say a word to the town Sheriff about you being a wanted man’s accomplice.” Kyuhyun lies smoothly. He wouldn’t be a nation-wide famous gambler if he couldn’t bluff or lie without keeping a straight face. “Unless you want me to walk out this door right here and scream for him?” Kyuhyun steps back towards the door.

“NO!” Both Shindong and Jungsu leap for Kyuhyun, holding him in place as they sink to their knees. “We’ll let you in on our plans.” Shindong practically sobs as he holds tightly onto Kyuhyun’s pant leg.

“Good.” Kyuhyun relaxes the foot that was stepping towards the door and turns to smile at the two law breakers. “Let’s sit down and have a nice friendly conversation about these plans shall we?”