Ch 2

Without Glasses

The opening ended with the usual ‘Study hard and Do your best’ speech. It wasn’t bad, but I didn’t think anyone was actually listening during the ceremony. I thought everyone was looking intently on stage to the speaker, but I bet their minds were wandering somewhere else.

 

"Well, that was boring," Dahye said leaning on my shoulder. "I hope something interesting happened in class."

 

"Nothing ever happens in class except studying," I said as we headed to our homeroom.

 

"Still! But, I might just daydream all day. Having fun on my own," she grinned. "Plus, I don’t think we’ll do any lessons today. It’s first day, all we’ll do is introduction in all lessons."

 

I nodded slowly. She got a point. It’s the day where everyone introduced themselves and got acquainted with everybody else. Also, the teachers just introduced the lessons for the rest of the semester. And if we have time left after each class, the teacher just let us do whatever we want.

 

When we got to our homeroom, we were a bit surprised to see who’s in class with us this year. It was mostly the same people  in our class last year. Maybe about five people who weren’t with us before.

 

"Great," Dahye said emotionless. "We’re all in the same class again."

 

"What? What’s wrong with our class?" I asked. I was relieved that we had the same people in class again. I felt comfortable with them, because we got to know the class a bit the past year. And I didn’t have to worry getting acquainted to a whole class of strangers; it was tiring. Also, having the same people, we already know how each of us were. I thing I knew for sure was our class was the laziest in the whole grade.

 

We weren’t troublemakers, but our horrible marks and ethics were the one causing trouble.

 

"It’s boring!" she shook my shoulders as if trying to make sense out of me. "I need fresh people! Fresh faces! Like how I need to breathe fresh air in a crowded elevator."

 

I raised an eyebrow. Dahye could sometimes be overdramatic like when she went with to the supermarket during a sale, because I just had to buy some vegetables. It was chaos; shoppers rushed in as soon as the doors opened, people shoved and fought for the foods on sale. It was her first time going to a sale in supermarket, so she didn’t know what to do. She just stood in everyone’s way, so she was pushed and stepped on by people. When she found an item I was looking for, it was the last one and she had to fought a lady just to get. Traumatized, Dahye said she would never go stores with sales and that it was the worst experience ever, even though she insisted on coming along the first place.

 

"You know, it wouldn’t be as bad as you think," I said explaining the light having the same class. "We can all have fun. People are a bit close to each other in this class."

 

"Yeah yeah," she said waving her hand at me.

 

"We’re not totally the same class. There are new people as well see," I pointed at the five unfamiliar people in the room.

 

"Still not convinced," she puffed her cheeks.

 

"Suit yourself," I sighed and tried to find myself a seat.

 

I was walking around the class to find an empty seat, when someone bumped be on the side. It wasn’t hard, but it was unexpected that I fell on my . "Ah!" I looked up to see who bumped me. He just continued walking to the back-row seat  like nothing just happened. I stood and shouted at him, "Yah! Aren’t you being a little rude? You bumped me and acted like it was nothing. Aren’t you going to apologize?"

 

I was expecting him to turn around and start apologizing, but I got none instead he just sat down and it annoyed me. I walked up to him when I know I would be totally ignored. I stood in front of him and slammed my palm on his desk. That got his attention.

 

"Yah. You’re being rude. You just bumped me and you aren’t going to apologize?" I scoffed.

 

He glared at me before saying, "I’m sorry." He said it flatly that I thought he didn’t even mean what he said.

 

I glared back at him and was about to say something when the teacher arrived.

 

"Ok class! Have a seat! We’re starting now!" the teacher yelled clapping his hands. Everyone started scrambling to their seat. Before I find myself somewhere to sit, I glared at the guy one last time.

 

I haven’t seen him before, but now I won’t forget what he did to me. I grumbled to myself as Dahye pushed her way to me.

 

"Who was that! What a hottie he is!" she said with her eyes gleaming as she look at him.

 

I waved a hand in front of her, then she looked back at me. "Didn’t you see what just happened a few minutes ago? He knocked me down and didn’t even care!"

 

"Geez Yuji, you’re being overdramatic."

 

I groaned and sat at the empty chair by the door. Dahye followed suit at the chair in front of me.

 

Inhale. Exhale. Inhale. Exhale. Don’t let him get to you. It’s just the first day of school. Right. I shouldn’t let him ruin my day.

 

"Good to have you all in my class again!" the teacher said. Of course, we had the same homeroom teacher this year again. I heard Dahye groaned at the front with the rest of the class. "I know, I know. You all missed me." No response from the class, but he just smiled. He looked like he cared, but really wasn’t. He planned on showing his pleasant side first, because of the new students. The rest of the class knew how he was.

 

"Now, roll call." He called everyone one by one. I didn’t pay attention because I already know almost everyone in the class. I took off to dreamland and the teacher just continued calling out names. "Jin Hyo-"

 

"I preferred to be called ‘Kidoh’," someone called out as I snapped back to reality. Who would call himself ‘Kidoh’? And what kind of name was that? I looked around and saw who everyone was looking at. The guy earlier. I should’ve known.

 

"Oh. kay.. Kidoh?"

 

"Here."

 

"Jeon Hojoon?" the teacher continued with the roll call tuning him out until he called my name, "Jung Yuji?"

 

"Here."

 

He called out the remainder of the class. "Ok! So now, assigning positions to the class." Everyone groaned. "First! Class President! Nominations?"

 

Everyone sunk down their seats or avoided eye contact with the teacher. No one wanted to be the Class President. It was a lot of work. Of course, being lazy students we were, no one wanted it.

 

"No one? Should I just randomly pick one from the class list?" Everyone’s eye’s widened. Not wanting to be called out Hojoon stood and said, "I nominate Yuji!" Everyone felt relieved except me. I groaned.

 

"Ok! Yuji! Anyone else?" the teacher asked. No response. "Everyone in favour of Yuji?" They all raised their hands. Great. Effortlessly, I became Class President.

 

The teacher continued with the rest of the class position, while I dreaded internally. This day just keeps getting better and better! I just hoped it would get better as the day goes.

 

- - -

 

First half of the day done, and it was time for lunch break.

 

"I guess this class won’t be as bad as I first thought!" Dahye said shifting her seat to face me.

 

"Why?" I took my lunchbox out.

 

"That Kidoh guy," she raised her eyebrows up and down. I rolled my eyes.

 

"Yeah yeah sure sure. I don’t really care. We’re in school to learn remember?"

 

"I know, but a little eye candy wouldn’t hurt." Really this girl. Hot guys, cute guys, bad guys, and nice guys were all just eye candy for her. The guy could even be a murderer as long as he had a face to her liking. Dahye just like guys’ appearance, but she never got serious and actually like them as a whole. They’re always just a friend, just some to hang around and talk to, and just to look at.

 

"He bumped me!"

 

"But you’re not hurt, right?"

 

I sighed. I wouldn’t argue anymore. We just started eating our lunch and started talking about other things such as the latest gossips, the latest song from our favourite band, and about fashion trend.

 

Warning bell rang and our classmates started coming back from lunch.

 

"Have you seen the cute guy from first year class?" "I know! Isn’t he so cute! I just want to squish him!" "I bet if he just ditch that glasses of his, he’d be much more cuter!" "Agree!"

 

"First year cutie?" Dahye asked. I just shrugged because I wasn’t really interested. We were first years once, so what’s the fuss about it. "Now, I gotta see him!"

 

- - -

 

Thankfully, the day ended smoothly. The classes started with introduction of lessons and free time. Then we were let out early.

 

Students rushed out of the room and to freedom. They knew tomorrow would be the start of torture. In minutes, the room was was already empty with only me, Dahye, and Kidoh left.

 

"Yuji, I’ll just quickly go the bathroom. I’ll see at the school entrance!" Dahye turned to go. "Bye, Kidoh!" she beamed. He looked up as he put his stuff away and scrunched his nose without saying anything back. Rude! But that didn’t stop Dahye from smiling giddily as she left the room. Really, what was wrong with her?

 

I fought the urge to say anything, because I didn’t want to mess my day as it was already getting better, and maybe already over.

 

Kidoh was still putting his stuff away when I started walking out of the room, and I saw him. The guy I met or looked like the guy I met at the cafe. I remembered his black hair, his thick rimmed glasses, and his red wool scarf.

 

He was just quietly standing there.


What do I do?

 

 

 


 

My g Kidoh! Why so fine!


(Cr: Topp_dalrae Via: fytoppdogg)