Ch 5

Without Glasses

"Wait. Dahye? Yuji?" I saw Hyosang mouth dropped open.

 

"Yeah?"

 

"Yuji-sunbaenim?" Hansol’s eyes widened. "The mean girl in your class?"

 

"What? Mean girl?"

 

Dahye furrowed her eyebrows. "In his class? We’re in class together?"

 

"But she looks so different!" Hansol said.

 

"Oh, that’s because she has her glasses off and her looks.. yeah," Dahye explained easily. "Everyone knows she’s always like that."

 

Hansol turned to me and looked at me for a long time. I would be very embarrassed and awkward being stared at if I had been wearing my glasses. Then Hansol glared at me. "So you really are Yuji-sunbaenim."

 

"Wait, mean girl?" I repeated in disbelief. I looked at Hyosang waiting for him to say something, but he just stood there. Even though I may not see his whole face behind his scarf and my lack of vision, I could tell he looked surprised as I was.

 

Then, Hansol grabbed Hyosang’s hand and walked closer to me still glaring. "I don’t know what your problem is, but why are you mean to my Hyung?"

 

"What?" my mouth dropped open. "What are you talking about? I didn’t know we have a Hyosang in our class. I didn’t even know I’m being mean to anyone!"

 

Breaking us off, Dahye stood between us. "Whoa whoa, okay there. Can’t we just talk things in a calm manner? Hansol, I don’t like your talking to my friend like this."

 

Not backing off, Hansol started, "Hyung is -," but he was cut off when Hyosang pulled his arm away from us and out of the the door.

 

"What’s their problem?" Dahye asked. "And who was that? The guy Hansol was with? Do you know him?"

 

"No, I don’t know. I thought Hansol was the guy I met before. They looked alike!"

 

"Yeah with your bad eyesight, I’d see what you mean with their glasses and hair. But this time, it was the other guy who’s wearing the scarf. So it’s also your fault for just assuming."

 

I frowned. "He said his name was Hyosang. Do you know anyone by that name in our class?"

 

"No."

 

"And why did he keep saying I’m mean?"

 

"Well you are," she shrugged. I shot her a glare. "See! I’m just kidding," she laughed. "Don’t worry about it. They must’ve had the wrong person."

 

"Hmph." I wonder.

 

- - -

* * * * * * * * *

 

"No way," I said as I panted.

 

"What? Why did we just run out of there?"

 

"No way!"

 

"What?" Hansol furrowed his eyebrows in confusion and concern.

 

"I couldn’t believe that was Yuji..," I stared back at the cafe trying to catch my breath.

 

"I know, I couldn’t believe it either," he frowned. "That girl looks prettier and laid back than the one in school."

 

"Hm.."

 

"She looks rather pretty without her braids, thick rimmed glasses, and buttoned up uniform. But when you look at her closer, she really is Yuji-sunbaenim."

 

"I saw her draw a picture of you."

 

"Huh? Why? Stalker?!"

 

"I don’t know."

 

"It was my first time seeing out-of-school version of her and we barely made contact in school. I would just see her in your class, but that was it."

 

"Hmph." I wonder.

 

* * * * * * * * *

- - -

 

Next day.

 

I spent the whole day away from home again. Dahye and I didn’t have anything planned together, so I had the day all to myself.

 

Leaving early in the morning, I headed out to the park. I wanted to spend the daybreak with the chilly air, morning dew, and quiet neighbourhood to just relax. I liked how the loneliness felt.

 

I sat at one of the benches and stared at the sky. My mind was blank. I didn’t want to think of anything else. I just wanted to savour the moment not minding the coldness and numbness I started to feel.

 

I didn’t remember how long I was staring into space, when I saw someone walking from afar. I think I better get going in a couple of minutes. Soon, people will start coming in. I thought and looked at my watch. Huh? It’s only 7:30? No one would usually come here this early.

 

I looked at the person walking and furrowed my eyebrows. It’s one of the twins. I couldn’t tell who it was. I was about to stand up and walk to him, but withdrew the thought of it. I didn’t want to ruin this beautiful morning. I wanted to ask questions. Ask questions such as who was Hyosang? How did he know me and I didn’t know him? Why they called me mean? What did I do? And why do they look the same?

 

I just sat there watching him. He must’ve seen me, because when he looked my way, his pace slowed down. I saw him hesitated before sitting at the bench far away from me. As curious as I was, I forced myself to look away and continue looking at the sky.

 

Gazing into space, I just became aware again back to earth when I felt my seat shook. I turned to see him there. Hansol or Hyosang or whoever else that dressed like them. Surprised, I just stared at him waiting for a response. But he just sat there staring back at me. Our stare just held. I started to wander in his eyes. My surroundings started feeling empty and he was just there. I could feel my heart slowly beating fairly than normal.

 

Neither of us moved for awhile. We just sat there staring silently. It was weird how it wasn’t uncomfortable for us gazing each other. It was weird how I started feeling warm inside. I wondered it must be the sun was starting to shine high now.

 

Feeling that we have been staring for too long, I broke the stare and looked back at the sky. I wanted to break the silence and ask who he was. Who have I been staring at. I wondered when he suddenly spoke up quietly. Then, I knew it was Hyosang.

 

"Good morning."