Ch 10

Without Glasses

Why do you look so tired? Have you always been like this? It's like you had been having sleepless nights.

 

"Is there something wrong?" my Mother asked washing the dishes.

 

"Mother, do you really approve of me going abroad?"

 

"Yes, I do."

 

But why do you look sad? I wanted to ask for a brief moment I saw her dispirited.

 

"It'll be great for your future, and you'll get to live with your Father," she said as she scrubbed the grease away from the frying pan. "So you better start studying English seriously."

 

You don't think that.

 

She was trying hard not to show her emotions. If I wasn't wearing my glasses, I would be convinced that she’s approved of the plan. Her tone was the same strict voice. I wouldn't hesitate of not going. Maybe I would, but in the end I might still go.

 

However, her emotions that showed were lying for her. Her eyes felt empty and sad. And they almost broke my heart. I haven't seen her like this before.

 

"Then why do you look unhappy?" came out unexpectedly. She looked surprised at the question. Oh no. She’s going to scold me or lecture me for questioning her. Why did I just say that!

 

She looked at me for a long time, before she continued washing the dishes. Silence took over for what felt like a lifetime even though it must’ve been only a minute or two. I thought our conversation had already ended, so as soon as I turned around my Mother spoke.

 

"I’m not good enough." I turned back around. "I don’t think I’m giving you enough to live a happy life."

 

"What?"

 

"With your Father, you can have so much more and be much more than. He can provide you with opportunities and other more than I can give." This brought a lump in my throat. She was being open and honest.

 

"No," I paused unable to say anything as my eyes started to fill with tears. "You being there is enough," I said, and it was true. Her being there was enough, even though there were times that I hate. I was just frustrated; frustrated of not having a normal conversation with her like normal families have, frustrated that we couldn’t be in the same room without being uncomfortable, and frustrated of not opening up to her about anything.

 

She didn’t say anything, but I saw her expression softened. I didn’t know what else to say, instead I walked up to her and hugged her from behind. She didn’t pull away from me, so we stayed like that for awhile.

 

I liked it. I don’t remember when was the last time I’ve felt so warm inside being with her.

 

"Mom, I don’t want to go away," I hugged her tighter. "I want to stay here with you, just like this."

 

She turned around to hug me back. I couldn’t hold my tears back, so it came rushing out. She couldn’t either. We stayed in each others arms crying our hearts out. It felt like we were letting out our frustrations and emotions that we’ve been keeping inside.

 

I wanted to stay like that for a long time.

 

- - -

* * * * * * * * *

 

Oh no. Did she really leave? She’s always early but not this time.

 

She must've really left! Or maybe she hates me now because of yesterday! Why did I have to say those things. I should’ve just kept my mouth shut. Oh man..

 

I kept raking my head at the thought of my action yesterday. I just couldn't let her go. I sighed. I laid my head on the desk  and turned to the window staring outside.

 

I shouldn't have gotten attached. I should just go back to being my quiet self. I let out a big sigh.

 

"Wow, that was a deep sigh. Forgot your homework?"

 

I suddenly jumped from my desk, both surprised and relieved as I heard her voice.

 

"Oh no, it must be a big problem to make you sigh like that," said the girl in braids and glasses.

 

I smiled. "Good morning Yuji. Not really. Not anymore." She furrowed her eyebrows in confusion. Then I felt my cheeks warming up.

 

There was a minute of silence between us before she started talking again. "Uhm.. I'm staying. I decided to stay.."

 

I almost let out a scream in joy as soon as I heard her say that. "T-that’s great! I- I mean Dahye will be very happy to hear that," I smiled trying not to e embarrass myself.

 

"Are you sure she's the only one who will be 'very happy'?" she said moving toward me. She stopped by my side, leaned down close to my face, and said, "thank you. I'm really grateful."

 

"W-what are you saying? W-what are g-grateful for?" I was flustered that I started to stutter badly.

 

And unexpectedly, she leaned closer and kissed me on the cheek. "I might be starting to have feelings for you, too. Or maybe I do like you," she smiled.

 

* * * * * * * * *

- - -

 

"Huh?! Waa! I saw that!" said the two person standing by the door in unison.

 

"Dahye! Hansol!" Kidoh and I said together surprised.

 

"You two are really together now!" they both said.

 

"W-what are you talking?" I said feeling shy and flustered all of a sudden.

 

"We saw you kissing!"

 

"I-I was just saying to Kidoh that I'm not going away anymore."

 

"Waa no way! I'm thrilled that you’re staying, but I'm more thrilled of you two together! Come on now. If you’re just saying that to him, why do you have to say so close to him?" Dahye smirked she already caught us.

 

"Oh my Hyung! You’re so cute!" Hansol said giddily.

 

But I refused to give in to their fantasies, I elbowed Kidoh for help. And instead of helping, he put his arm on my shoulder and said "she said she liked me!"

 

Is this how it feels to see 'clearly'?

Colourful feelings giving my butterflies.

I feel lighter knowing more than before.

I didn't know this feeling 'til now.

 

I knew this will definitely be a burden someday,

but.. Oh well!

 

I like it now.

The End

 

 


 

Oh my. How much cornier can I get T.T.
I just had to end it that way..

I hope you liked it!
Thank you for sticking by 'til the end!