Ch 3

Without Glasses

"Hyung!" the red scarfed guy said. "Hurry up! Let’s go home!"

 

I started to walk towards him with my hand up, when Kidoh intercepted me and said, "Now don't you touch him." I took a step back in surprise. What was his problem?

 

Kidoh strode past me and met with him.

 

Huh? Oh. That’s right he didn’t know I was the one from the cafe.

 

But, wait. Did he just call Kidoh ‘Hyung’? Are they friends? And he goes to our school?!

 

- - -

 

"Yah, what took you so long?"

 

"Sorry! I ran into a guy and had a small talk, and then exchanged numbers. You know," she chuckled.

 

"Yeah yeah I know," I waved my hand dismissively and started walking . To change the topic, I hesitated bringing Kidoh up in our conversation. It’s not like I’m interested in him, but the guy he was with; I was a bit of curious in him. Just a curiosity. Nothing more. "Do you know the guy who was with Kidoh? You know, if you ever saw them on the hall earlier."

 

"No. Why?"

 

"Nothing. Just asking."

 

"What! Now I want to know! Tell me!"

 

Knowing she wouldn’t stop pestering me, I told her the whole story about me being weird at the cafe. Even telling about it, got me embarrassed. What was I thinking? I told her about the guy who met with Kidoh earlier, how he looked like the guy from the cafe. Well, I thought. He appeared like him, because of the hair, glasses, and scarf.

 

"That’s him!" she exclaimed.

 

"How do you know? It could be someone who looks like him."

 

"Really? Two people who wears exactly the same be two different people? Who you just saw these few days?" she said placing her hand on her hips.

 

"Yeah? I mean, I don’t know if EXACTLY the same. The colours matched." She sighed. "What? I wasn’t wearing my glasses, I couldn’t really tell."

 

"That’s your problem. You didn’t see! But they’re the same. I can feel it in my gut," Dahye curled her hand into a fist.

 

"But you’re gut is always wrong," I said remembering we went home all drenched one day, because her gut told her it wouldn’t rain. But, it did.

 

"Trust in me, girl!"

 

I rolled my eyes.

 

- - -

* * * * * * * * *

 

"Waah! Finally! I couldn't take anymore! I give up! And the girl in our class was so mean!"

 

"It's okay, Hyung. No one forced you to do this."

 

"Oh I'm sorry, Hansol. I was just releasing my embarrassment," I smiled to my cousin as he looked at me full of concern. "You know, I'm not used to this kind of act. It's just.. embarrassing!" I said feeling my face heat up.

 

He laughed. "You are so cute, Hyung!"

 

"Stop that!" I protested.

 

"Haha, okay okay. Well, we're almost home, you can put your hair down and wear your glasses on now."

 

I immediately ruffled my hair down and wore my glasses. I sighed in relief. I felt comfortable now, especially after actually seeing everything clearly. "The world! I can finally see it!"

 

Hansol laughed, again. "You're really cute, Hyung!"

 

"Stop that!"

 

* * * * * * * * *

- - -

 

Next day.

 

I woke up early while my mother was still in bed. I got ready for school and left not saying a word. I would to stay in bed for a few more minutes, but my mother would wake up soon.

 

I yawned. I wanted to sleep more. Not a problem! I’ll just sleep at school! I slowly made my way to the school appreciating the nice cool weather.

 

I arrived at school and soon reached the hallway to the classroom. I was hoping the school would still be empty at this time, but I saw someone leaving our classroom. It was the scarfed guy from yesterday. He didn’t see me as he was walking at the opposite direction. I wondered what he was doing in our room.

 

As I entered the room, I was surprised to see Kidoh in early. He was just there staring out the window. Then he looked up when he heard ruffling sound. He glared at me. I glared back. What was his problem? So early in the morning, and he was already making such face.

 

I just looked away and sat down. I rested on my bag and off to dreamland.

 

A couple of minutes in dreamland until Dahye started shaking me to reality.

 

"Hi Yuji! Wake up yet?" I opened my eyes to her bright smile and groaned.

 

"Come on! Wake up! Class is starting in two minutes."

 

"Two more minutes," I said closing my eyes again. She shook me harder this time. "What?"

 

"You wouldn’t believe whose number I got this morning?" she beamed at me.

 

"Not interested."

 

"Really? Even if it’s the number of the cutie in red scarf you met?" she smirked.

 

"Who?!" that woke up me. Her smirked grew wider. I knew she wouldn’t tell me anymore as she turned her back on me. It was like her to leave me hanging.

 

Teacher arrived and class started, but my head was in wanderland. What was I thinking? Why am I curious to know? I just met him at the cafe. We barely made conversation, and I barely saw his face. I glanced at Kidoh.

 

Yuji, snap out of it and listen to the lesson!

 

Right! I didn’t know him and I didn’t care. Just like that I stopped thinking about him and focused on the lesson. But not long after that I was redirected at wanderland.

 

After hours of lectures in Math, Science, and History, it was already lunchtime.

 

"Whew, the bloody first half is finally done with!" Dahye said resting her head in my desk.

 

"Like you we’re even listening." She shrugged.

 

"Oh yeah! I almost forgot! The cute scarfed guy!" I raised an eyebrow. "He was the first year cutie everyone was talking about yesterday. He really is cute! I could just squish him!"

 

I looked at her indifferently as I took my lunchbox out, for I didn’t want her to be satisfied with my curiousity. I almost forgot about him now that she brought him up to conversation. I convinced myself that I didn’t care anymore, but a little gossip wouldn’t hurt.

 

"I got to talk to him this morning as I was walking up to our classroom. His name is Hansol. And he was quite a ladies’ man," she took her lunchbox out.

 

I furrowed my eyebrows and said, "’Ladies’ man’? I think you got the wrong guy. At the cafe, he was timid and quiet."

 

"Black shiny hair?"

 

"Yeah."

 

"Thick rimmed glasses?"

 

"Yeah."

 

"Red wool scarf?"

 

"Yeah."

 

"That was him. Compared to what you told me about him, he was making conversations to girls and looked comfortable around them."

 

I tilted my head to the sides and thought, how could he be a ‘ladies’ man’ and just talk to them comfortable. He was shy and quiet when I first saw him. Maybe I was really weird-looking then, so he hesitated approaching me. Maybe I scared him of how weird I was! I shook my head. That couldn’t be it. Maybe Dahye just got the wrong person. That must be it! I moved my head up and down.

 

"Still don’t believe me, huh? I talked to him, and yes, he knew Kidoh. He even did confirm that it was him who you saw yesterday. He said they’re cousins," she took a spoonful of her lunch and ate it.

 

And right on cue, the scarfed guy appeared out the room looking at Kidoh, who just stood walking up to him. Then, they left for lunch.

 

"I don’t believe that those two are relatives."

 

"I do. Both are good-looking," she grinned. "Ooh! I wonder if they have other relatives as good-looking as them."

 

I rolled my eyes. I shouldn’t think about him anymore and I shouldn’t care. I forced myself that I wouldn’t.

 

- - -

 

The rest of the day passed by with me daydreaming, only listening when the teachers explain the our homeworks.

 

Then, the week passed by quickly. I went to school early, glared at Kidoh, daydreamed most of the time, ate lunch, and went home. I wasn’t sure what’s Kidoh’s problem, but he just kept glaring at people. He would bump on them, glare at them, and apologize impassively.

 

Other students didn’t mind him. Sometimes Kidoh would give them a small smile when apologizing, but not to me.

 

"Ah!" I quickly looked behind to see who bumped on my chair making me scribble all over my notebook. Not surprised, it was Kidoh. And he was already glaring at me. I glared back.

 

"I’m sorry," he said coldly before turning around.

 

Annoyed by it, I stood up and grabbed his hand. "Do you have a grudge on me or something? You seemed to be more sorry to other people than me."

 

He jerked his hand back and walked away.

 

"Yah! I’m talking to you!" I shouted at him as he continued walking. "Yah!"

 

Rude!

 

That’s how my week mostly went; Kidoh annoying me and being rude.

 

Then, I forgot all about the red scarfed guy and our encounter at the cafe. I would see him with Kidoh everyday, but I just saw them like normal students I pass by the hallways. And I liked it; returned to my unconcerned self before.

 

Well, that’s what I thought before I met him, again, with a bit of a shock.

 

- - -

* * * * * * * * *

 

"Hyung, I think you can drop the act. Everyone seems nice and friendly in this school."

 

"You never know that."

 

"I’m just worried about you," Hansol pouted. as we turned around the corner on our way home.

 

"Don’t worry about me. I’m just trying to protect you," I smiled at him.

 

He sighed in resignation, "Okay. But, just so you know I’m totally going to be fine, if you ever want to drop the act."

 

"I know," I assured him as we walk home.

 

"So how was your week, Hyung? How was your classes? Are you holding on?" he asked in concern.

 

"Yep! I can hear the teachers clearly, and I just read the lesson material from the book."

 

"Hmph, ok." I pinched his cheeks and smiled. He smiled back. I just want for you to keep that smile, forget about the past, and be comfortable. I can’t ask for nothing more.

 

I sighed to myself, but he saw it.

 

"Why are you sighing?"

 

"Nothing."

 

"Tell me! So we keep secrets now?" he frowned and scrunched his nose.

 

"It’s the girl in our class. She’s really mean. She keeps yelling at me even though I already apologized to her whenever I knocked her," I frowned.

 

"That girl again!" I nodded. " Don’t worry, Hyung! I’ll tell her off once I see her!"

 

"No, you don’t have to. It’s not a big deal."

 

"Yeah it is!" he said scrunching his eyebrows even more. Then, I just started laughing while looking at him. "What!"

 

"Why are you so cute?" I said still laughing.

 

"I am not!"

 

"Yeah you are," I grinned and gave him a squeeze on his shoulder.

 

* * * * * * * * *

- - -