Ch 8

Without Glasses

- - -

* * * * * * * * *

 

"Hyung, you’re blushing."

 

"H-huh? I’m not!" I covered my face with my hand.

 

Hansol gasped, "did something happened before I came home?"

 

"You’re wrong! N-nothing happened," I stuttered. I mentally cursed. What’s happening to me?! What did I just do? I must have looked like a ert! That’s why she ran away!

 

"Hyung, you’re stuttering," he pointed out as his tone changed, when at first he was angry and full of concern when he saw Yuji ran past him.

 

I didn’t say a thing, because anything that comes out of my mouth might sound I’m guilty of something; which I didn’t.

I hoped.

 

Seeing how awkward I must’ve been, Hansol changed the subject by asking why I looked like I’ve been beaten up. I told him what happened this morning; meeting Yuji at the park minus the staredown, hanging out at the cafe, and fighting with the two guys from our previous school.

 

I was expecting Hansol to jump up  for hanging out with the girl we just hated for the last week. Or get angry meeting those guys and fighting with them, instead he was grinning. I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion, then he hugged me.

 

"W-what? Something wrong? Why do you seem happy that I got beat up?"

 

"Hyung! You fought back!"

 

"You’re happy about that because?"

 

"You’ve never fought back. Even once! But for the first time you did! Though I’m not too thrill to know that the mean girl was the one with you saved, but I guess it’s not that bad," he smiled.

 

I hesitated before saying, "she’s not as bad as we thought she was."

 

"Hm? Why you say that?"

 

Should I tell him what I think? What I feel? I’m worried I might blurt something unnecessary. But I have to talk about this. Aish!

 

"Well, she did treat my wound."

 

Hansol tilted his head to his side as if considering her kindness.

 

"And we found out, she was the one I kept seeing at the cafe. She’s really different from school than when she’s outside. She’s kind and calm."

 

"I know, but she’s really different in school."

 

"I guess we all got on a wrong start. Misunderstandings happen you know," I said, maybe defending her a little. I was trying to show him a little good in her since I was the one who also said the bad things about her in beginning. "There’s just been a misunderstanding, that’s why she seemed mean." I explained him what happened on my first meeting with Yuji, telling him her circumstances as he already knew mine. I chuckled as I told him.

 

I felt a bit lighter knowing the actual situation for both of us. It was kind of funny how we both remove our glasses but for different reasons.

 

Seeing me smiling, Hansol smiled. "Well, if you say so! Hyung, I’ll just clean up for a bit, then let’s eat lunch!"

 

"Ok!" I watched  Hansol leave the room.

 

It was a relief when Hansol suddenly came home or else I would’ve done something I might regret.. Or maybe not.. Yuji was so close that only a strong breeze would make her face touch mine. Then I felt my face warm up as I remember I almost kissed her.

 

"Ahh!" I scratched my head in embarrassment. She was looking deep into my eyes and not moving. She didn’t push me away as I leaned closer, so I just continued leaning closer. Her eyes were shining like marbles in it’s prettiness. And when she laughed, she looked so happy that I just want to keep seeing her like that. Yuji was just so pretty! "Ahh! So embarrassing!" I scratched my head once more in frustration.

 

What am I going to do in school now? We’re in the same class, and we both come to school early..with just the two of us.. Ahh what to do! It’s going to be awkward!

 

But I hope not. I just got to know even just a bit!

 

* * * * * * * * *

- - -

 

Oh shoot! That was close! Oh Yuji that was close!

 

I hurried my way home. I wondered what would have happened if Hansol hadn’t come. I knew what would’ve happened, but I just didn’t want to think about it. I was relieved but at the same time I was a bit disappointed. I wasn’t sure why. Did I wanted for something to happen between us?

 

I shook my head. No!

 

It was just yesterday when we’re all in shock of who was the other. And it was just last week when we glare and yell at each other. So now, why the change of heart? Maybe was it because I knew his ‘Hyosang’ personality, and I liked that part of him. Maybe because I got to know him better now; I knew the reason of behaviour in his ‘Kidoh’ part.

 

Then I smiled. I guess he was not that bad.

 

I walked home thinking that nothing could ruin in my day. I decided to just go home, eat lunch, and stay. And maybe start studying.

 

When I reached home, I opened the door and then closed it behind it. I took my shoes off and was about to go straight to my room when Mother called me from the living room.

 

"Yuji, sit down. I have something to tell you," she said in monotone.

 

I did what I was told and sat down. I was nervous at what she was going to tell me. Her serious tone always sounded formal that made very uncomfortable. She wasn’t like this before; before Father left us. Unexpectedly, he was the one we’re going to have a conversation about.

 

"Your Father called."

 

I blinked in surprise. It has been awhile since the last I heard of him. He called once or twice asking how we were and how he was. When he and Mother have a conversation, it didn’t usually last more than five mins. They would just ask each other how they’re, then Mother would pass me the phone.

 

Unlike between them, Father and I would stay on the phone for hours. We would talk about school and his travels; where he had been, who had he met and how his work going. I felt I can tell him everything, even when he was still living with us. A part of me was mad and disappointed at him for leaving us. For moving away with another woman. A woman who he had met not long before he left with her.

 

I felt that Mother and Father grow apart a bit because of being busy at work. That must’ve been the time he met the woman. I didn’t know how and I didn’t bother to ask; adults have complicated thinking that’s sometimes difficult to understand. Then one day he just announced his departure. I was upset and disappointed at him. I wanted to hate him forever, but the remaining part of me said he still family I had spent with for most of my life. And he still supported us.

 

That’s why I was a bit happy to hear that he called, even though I wasn’t around when he did.

 

"We talked and your Father had asked if you would like to live with them."

 

"W-what? With them?" I asked in disbelief. Did I just hear, right? It took me a minute to process what I just heard. Mother’s joking, right? But then again, she hadn’t kid for a long time.

 

"They’re moving to New Zealand and wanted you come along. They said you can have a better future there."

 

"With them? I don’t know what to say. What do you feel about this, Mother?"

 

"It’s not bad. And I agree with them of you having a better future there."

 

"You just agree with them?" I asked feeling a bit upset.

 

"Yes." I thought it wasn’t bad going to a foreign country and living again with my Father. I had to admit that I was closer to him than to my Mother. But, I didn’t know why I became upset when she agreed just like that. Didn’t she want me? Didn’t she want me to stay? Thinking about it made me a little angry inside, it’s like she’s just throwing me away.

 

Feeling hurt and mad, without thinking I said, "Ok. I’ll come with them." I hoped for her to talk me out of my decision, but she didn’t.

 

"Ok. I’ll tell your father, so they can start your paperworks," she said standing up and dismissing me.

 

Don’t you care about me? Don’t let me go.

 

I guess you don’t. Pushing me away and not even protest for me, just like with Father. Instead of fighting for him, you just let him go.

 
 
 

These pretty people >//