Ch 6

Without Glasses

"Good morning."

 

"Good morning," I replied.

 

At the corner of my eye, I could see him fidgeting before saying, "Uhm, do you want to go and have something to drink. You know.. to that cafe." I looked at him and he jumped in surprise. "O-once it opens of course. Oh i-if you want.. I’m just asking." Then, he started mumbling.

 

I tilted my head in confusion. Why did he suddenly became nervous? I didn’t know why, but I found it cute. I smiled and said, "Sure! Why not!"

 

- - -

 

"Uhm, One dark roasted coffee and a mocha latte, please," Hyosang repeated the second time. He had to repeat himself louder before the girl on the counter could understand what he was saying.

 

"How did you know?"

 

"Hm?"

 

"Uh the drink, the drink that I want."

 

"That’s what you had for both times we met. So I figured you must’ve liked it.. Do you?"

 

"Yes," I said trying to hide a smiled. I was touched how he paid attention.

 

Once we got our ordered, we headed straight to my favourite spot. To the spot we kept meeting at. We took our seat and just sat there. I was sitting there with my hands around my drink for warmth, smelling the warm aroma of my latte. I liked it.

 

"Thank you for the treat," I smiled.

 

"You’re welcome," he whispered.

 

I peeked at him as I took a sip. I wanted to ask him the questions that’s been bothering me, but I didn’t want to ruin the moment. I guess it can wait.

 

Then, he looked up from his drink. And when he saw me staring at him, He looked away, out the window. He was just staring until one moment, there’s a surprise look on his face. I frowned and looked outside to see what made him make that expression.

 

There’s two guys smirking outside. A tall one and a short one. They were smirking at Hyosang. When I looked back at Hyosang, he was trying to bury his face in his scarf.

 

"I think we should get going," he said.

 

"Huh? Why? Who were they? Do you know them?"

 

"Uh, no one," he said not meeting my gaze.

 

"No one? Then why are you acting like this?" He seemed nervous.

 

I was about to comfort him when the two guys popped up. "Yeah, why are you acting like this?" said the tall guy from outside that was now standing by our table smirking. "Is this how you treat your old friends?" he placed his hand on Hyosang’s shoulders.

 

Hyosang suddenly jumped by the guy’s hand. I didn’t have a good feeling about it. This time, Hyosang looked anxious and scared. And I didn’t like it. Who were they to make him feel like that?

 

The short one moved closer to me, lowered his face to level mine and said, "and who is this pretty lady?" I leaned back crunching my eyebrows, then he smirked.

 

Hyosang looked at me and said, "no one." Not showing it, I was surprised. Just a few minutes ago he knew me, then he now said he didn’t. I wasn’t hurt or anything when he said it. I thought he must’ve said it to shift their attention away from me. But, it didn’t happen how he want it to be.

 

"Oh really?"

 

"Yeah I don’t know her. J-just leave her alone," he said quietly.

 

"Yeah, no one would ever get close to Hyosang, especially this pretty lady," the tall one said looking smug. "Don’t you think so Yano-ah?" he elbowed the small one while winking at me.

 

I crunched my nose in disgust. Who did he think he was? I knew he meant it as a compliment, but it didn’t charm me a bit.

 

"Right Seogoong-hyung!"

 

"If that’s the case, do you want to come with us and ditch this boring place?" Seogoong said leaning close to my face.

 

Before I could refuse, he grabbed my arms. "Ah! Let go of me!" I demanded flailing my arms free, but his grip was strong and it just hurt the more I fight it.

 

"Come on, now. Let’s have fun on our own."

 

"L-let go of her..," Hyosang spoke up but quietly.

 

"Whaddya say?" Yano turned to him.

 

"I s-said, let her go," he said a little bit louder. "You’re hurting her."

 

"Oh yeah?" Seogoong turned to him. "And if I don’t? What’re you going to do?" he sneered.

 

"Just let go of her and leave.."

 

"And what? You’re girly cousin will come to your rescue? Even if he did come to your rescue, he can’t do anything to us," the two guys laughed.

 

Then they pulled me up from my chair. "Ah! Stop! Let go of me!!" That attracted the customers’ attention. I hoped for someone to interfere, but nothing. Then, I saw the cashier behind the counter disappear. Great! No one’s coming to help. I struggled from his grip. I had a feeling that Hyosang wouldn’t be much of a help either, so I needed to save myself.

 

"C’mon girl. Don’t be playing hard to get now," Seogoong said leaning closer to my face.

 

"We know you want it too," Yano said.

 

"Let go of me!"

 

"I said let go of her," Hyosang suddenly stood up that his chair fell backwards. That drew the two’s attention.

 

Seogoong let go of my arm. "Ohh," he chortled and walked to Hyosang. "Well, this is the first time seeing you stand up. C’mon, what are you gonna do?" He was standing eye to eye with Hyosang, but there was a huge difference between them. Seogoong was overpowering him with his confidence, while Hyosang was clearly intimidated and felt so small.

 

Yano scoffed, "wimp."

 

"Right?" he turned back to me. Before he could grab my arms again. Hyosang grabbed Seogoong’s arm. He looked at the the skinny hand restraining.

 

"P-please just leave."

 

"You know I don’t have time for this," he said before swinging his fist at Hyosang. His fist landed a strong blow that Hyosang was sent flying across their table making a mess.

 

"Hyosang!" I called out in surprise.

 

Yano whistled and said, "nice one, Hyung!"

 

Seogoong turned around and grabbed my arms. "Now let’s go."

 

"No! Let go of me!" I fought his grip kicking him and punching him with my free hand, but he just dragged me effortlessly. And Yano just followed behind.

 

"It’s no use fighting. Just relax and we’ll have fun."

 

"No! No! No!"

 

We were halfway to the door when a hand spun Seogoong around and punched him. It must’ve been a strong one, because Seogoong lost his balance and fell on his back. He quickly looked up to see who it was, and he was surprised to see Hyosang standing there with his hand curled into a ball of fist.

 

Seogoong smirked standing up, "so you finally have guts now, huh?"

 

"Why you!" Yano was about to punch Hyosang, but Seogoong stopped him.

 

"Let me," he said and punched Hyosang again. It was was heavy as I heard something crackling and Hyosang falling on the floor again.

 

He moved closer to him to give him more, but I stood in front of Hyosang. "Stop! Please stop!"

 

But that didn’t stop him. He pushed me back and was about to land another blow when the manager of the place showed up.

 

"Yah! What do you thinking doing in my cafe fighting?! Huh? Get out of here or I’ll call the police!"

 

"Tch!" Seogoong spat. "Let’s go, Yano," he said standing up.

 

"You got lucky. You better watch out later," Yano threatened.

 

"Tch, not worth it. Let’s go," he glared before he was out the door.

 

I turned to Hyosang who had bleeding lips and cheek. "Are you ok?" I asked helping him up.

 

"Y-yeah.. I’m fine"


"Yeah right. Let’s get out of here and get your wounds treated."