Ch 4

Without Glasses

Preparing to leave early in the morning, I moved as silently as I could but fast, avoiding making any noise that would wake my mother up. I washed my face, brushed my teeth, and wore a jacket for the chilly weather. I didn’t bother combing my hair or tying it. I just let it lay on my back.

 

I grabbed my tote bag, and I was about to put my shoe on, when I heard a door opened then closed. I froze for a second before quickly slipping each shoes on. I was hoping to be out of the door before, my mother sees me, but I was too late. She already saw me as she hobbled down the hall.

 

"Where are you going?" she asked scratching her head still half asleep.

 

"I’m just going out with Dahye..," I answered.

 

"How was school?"

 

"Good."

 

"Good. Are you even studying?" she asked bitterly nodding to my tote bag.

 

I glanced at it before looking back at her. "Y-yes."

 

"You better," she said before turning around and just leaving me there.

 

I put on my shoes and clutched my tote bag leaving our house. I stopped just outside our door and sighed; a bit relieved that I wasn’t wearing my glasses. I’m afraid to see the annoyance in her eyes when she pointed at my it. She knew what was in my bag. She was gesturing at the sketchbook that Dad gave as a present. She didn’t want me becoming like my Dad, who had left us.

 

I touched the sketchbook in my bag. My mother’s look and questions were the reasons why I tried to avoid her. Unlike her, I didn’t feel any resentment towards Dad. I didn’t know why, I just don’t.

 

I sighed and made my way to the station, where Dahye and I would meet.

 

- - -

 

"Did you see that guy that just walked past us?" Dahye elbowed me as we walk into a clothing store.

 

"Oh, huh? No? Didn’t see, don’t care."

 

"Hmph, he was cute."

 

"Ok." We made our way first to the sales aisle. We’re spending the day just hanging out and shopping. Well, shopping for Dahye. I was just following her.

 

It was a good thing I spent the day with Dahye; letting me forget about what happened earlier at home.

 

"Oh my gee! Put your glasses on! Look at the guy near the fitting room! Cute!" she kept shaking my arm.

 

"Don’t want to, don’t care," I said searching through the hangers of clothing. Dahye looked at me and sighed.

 

"Look, I’m trying to cheer you up here. Even if you don’t say anything, something happened this morning at your house, am I wrong?" I didn’t say anything. She knew what was going on with my family. And she was always there to cheer me up and to keep my mind off of it. I would sometimes forget everything just hanging out with her.

 

I looked from the shirts I’m looking through and grinned. Then, she got the hint. I didn’t want to talk about it today.

 

She sighed before nagging me again, "hurry hurry put your glasses on!"

 

"I don’t want to!" Then she gasped.

 

"He’s looking this way! Oh my gee! Now he’s smiling and chuckling!"

 

"Dahye, calm down and just go to him!" I laughed. I liked how Dahye was expressive inside and out. It’s as if she didn’t have any burden of keeping something inside of her.

 

"Ok ok! I will! Be right back," she said as she slowly made her way to him.

 

"Wait. Like you would really be right back," I raised an eyebrow, and she furrowed hers in confusion. "Nevermind. Just meet me at the cafe, so just take your time. I’ll wait for you there or wherever," I said and headed out. She didn’t stop me.

 

That girl really! I chuckled.

 

- - -

 

I'll just order my usual drink for now. Then, I can have Dahye order for something to eat when she comes. She owes me because she left me behind. Right! I thought to myself as I entered the cafe.

 

The place wasn’t packed as it was before. I lined up to get my order of a Mocha Latte. After I got my drink, I walked to my usual spot at the back of the cafe and sat down.

 

Unconsciously, I smiled. I liked how everything felt slow. Then, I took out my sketchbook and my pencil case from my bag; the items that my mother loathe. I brushed her off my mind and just thought of positive things and other distracting things.

 

I took a sip from my latte, took a pencil out, and gazed outside the streets. It was a beautiful day. The colours were bright and vibrant. Everything wasn't overwhelming, because I could only see blurred lines and colours. I couldn’t see the sharp detailed lines of everything.

 

I took another sip of my drink, looked down on my sketchbook with my pencil on hand, and started drawing. My hands just moved whatever my mind thought of and remembered. I drew an egg for the head with a cross at the centre. Then, I drew a nose, eyes, mouth, eyebrows, hair, and ears. Along the ears, I started to draw the neck going down to its shoulders. I just kept drawing, until I realized who I was drawing, the red scarfed guy. More accurately, Hansol.

 

I continued drawing his scarf, then, his shoulders and arms. Wanting to keep going, I took out my fine liner to outline it and to add shadows. I erased the excess lines. Then, I took out my colour pencils and coloured it, even though the only colour I needed was obviously red.

 

I coloured the scarf in. I was focused in my art that I wasn’t noticing my surroundings. I was staring blankly at the drawing in front of me as I coloured it, as if my body was unconsciously doing it for me. Then, I slowly woke up from my daze. I slowly became aware of my surroundings. And I slowly recognized there was person holding his drink standing next to my table, the person in my drawing. The person who has a red scarf draped over him. The person with shiny black hair and black rimmed glasses on.

 

"Ah!" I exclaimed in surprise and immediately covered the drawing with my hands and closed my book.

 

He was just standing and looking down at my book. I couldn’t see him clearly, so I couldn’t make out his expression. But I could definitely tell he didn’t look happy. I slapped my forehead mentally. He must’ve been disgusted by me. Drawing him just like that. Why did I just draw him!

 

Before I could torture myself any more, I saw his lips curled up to a smile.

 

Oh no! He’s going to laugh at me! He’s going to make fun of me! I groaned. I waited for him to start laughing, but he didn’t. Instead, he asked in his quiet voice if he could have a seat. I nodded. He sat down, and I looked at him. He was the one I met before. He was still the same, hiding comfortably in his scarf.

 

He smiled and said quietly, "It’s nice to see you again."

 

Oh yeah. He still didn’t know who I am. Should I just tell him? He already saw my drawing of him, right? Hmm.. no. But it’s weird! He knows we only met once, and now I’m drawing him?! He must’ve think I’m beyond weird!

 

I smiled back and said, "Yeah."

 

"You’re really good at drawing!"

 

"Oh. T-thank you," I said feeling my head thumping in embarrassment.

 

"I didn’t know you knew Hansol."

 

"Eh?" Confusion hit me in the head.

 

"My cousin, Hansol? He’s the one you drew, right?"

 

"Cousin Hansol?" I furrowed my eyebrows. Is he talking about himself? "That’s you right?" I said, but he didn’t hear me as his attention was focused the person walking towards us.

 

"Hyung! I didn’t know you have company!" the figure said taking a sip of his drink. He looked just like him. Well, the colours were minus the scarf. I recognized his voice immediately. He sounded like Hansol from school. Eh?

 

"Company? You two already knew each other!" said the guy sitting across of me.

 

"Huh?"

 

"Oh! Hansol?" another person said coming from behind. It was Dahye.

 

"Hansol? From our school?" I stood up. "I thought you’re Hansol?" I turned to the one with red scarf. "Dahye, isn’t he Hansol?" I pointed at him.

 

He tilted his head. "Me? Oh no. My name’s Hyosang."

 

"Aigoo! Just put your glasses on, Yuji-ah!" Dahye said.

 

"Wait. Dahye? Yuji?" I saw Hyosang mouth dropped open.

 

"Yeah?"

 

 

 

 

 


 

I just have to post pictures of these pretty people >//<.
(I'll take it down later.)

Thank you for reading!

 

(Cr: Homer Via: fy-bestie)

(Cr: studio-g Via: fy-bestie)

(Cr: Peach Kidoh)

(Cr: My Royal Palace)