Ch 1

Without Glasses

It must've not been a good idea to come out today. I sighed to myself. I was sitting alone at the back of a cafe. It usually has only a couple of people, but today the place was packed; all tables were taken and seats were filled, well, not all. The seat opposite of mine was free as it could be.

 

I looked out the window and it was pouring heavily. It must be the reason why it’s full. Some place to shelter ‘til the rain stops. I looked at the crowd inside, took my glasses off and turned back to the window gazing outside even though I can’t see anything. Everything was all blurred. And I liked it.

 

I felt at ease when I can’t see people’s face, can’t see their expressions, can’t see their judging eyes. I turned to have a sip of my latte when at the corner of my eye saw someone stood beside my table.

 

"If you don’t mind, can I sit here?" he asked quietly. "Everywhere else is full, so.."

 

I nodded and gestured him to have a seat still not looking up from my drink. Not making contact means no conversation, and that’s what I wanted. I looked out and just listened to the splattering of the pouring rain and the chattering of the people in the cafe.

 

I was trance in a trance. I forgot where I was and what’ been happening. I was absorbed by the sound the rain and the people making, as well as the sight of the gushing rain and bokeh of lights on the street.

 

I didn’t know how long I’ve been staring out. And I finally snapped from my daze when the rain slowly draining out. I started to turn around to look at the people, but what surprised me was the person sitting across my table. He had been staring at me, at my daze state. I forgot there was someone there.

 

I felt my cheeks warm up as we made eye contact. Then he broke off first. I must have looked really weird!

 

"I-I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to stare..," he said softly not looking at me.

 

"It’s alright.." I said. I fought the urge to put my glasses on. I couldn’t see a thing. He’s all blurred. I also fought the urge to squint. I’m afraid to catch a glimpse of his face.

 

But I could still make out the colours of what he looks like. Now that I have a look at him, he had dark brown hair which was styled down, and he had white skin. He was wearing a thick lense glasses, thick red wool scarf that covers almost half of his face, and white wool sweater.

 

Out of habit, I didn’t notice I have been staring at him. He cleared his throat making me realize what I have been doing. What am I doing?! I mentally hit myself slap myself.

 

I saw his lips slowly curled up to a smile, and I furrowed my eyebrows. Did I do something again?

 

I wanted to make conversation. He looked comfortable, warm, and fluffy. Though I could hardly make out the words that came out of his mouth, I want to hear him talk.

 

As if he could read my mind, he said barely audible, "I don't mind. You can stare all you want."

 

I furrowed my eyebrows in embarrassment. I think it's about time to go before I do something weird again. I stood up to leave and said, "I’m sorry I have to go now." I smiled just to be polite. He smiled back.

 

I walked out the cafe restraining to put my glasses on to look at him clearly, but I thought I wouldn’t see him again, so it didn’t matter if I know his face or not. I sighed.

 

 

- - -

* * * * * * * * *

 

Going already? Don’t go yet! was what I wanted to say, but I didn’t have the nerve to call out to her. I sighed. Maybe I would see her again. I hope.

 

She was very pretty, but there was a bit of sadness in her eyes as she stared out in the streets. I didn’t know why, but I was tempted to touch her. Of course, I  couldn’t that. We barely knew each other and made conversation.

 

But she stared at me! Oh my! I hoped I didn’t look weird or anything. I frowned. It didn’t matter, because I wouldn’t see her again anyway.

 

I finished my drink and muffin and made my way out of the cafe. It was time for me to get acquainted to this place.

 

I took a deep breath, fixed the scarf around my neck, and continued wandering around the streets.

 

* * * * * * * * *

- - -

 

The weekend has passed and it was back to school again.

 

First day back to school.

My first day in second year high school.

 

I arrived at school and headed straight to the notice to see where my homeroom. But before I could come any closer, someone surprised me from behind.

"Yuji! Yuji! Where in the same homeroom again this year! Waa!" she kept squealing. "Let’s make this a fun year before we devote our whole mind and body next year in 3rd year," she shuddered and I smiled.

 

"Definitely! Though I don’t think that would be a problem for you, Dahye-ah! You’re smart that you don’t have to study for anything." I grinned.

 

"I guess you’re right, huh?" she scoffed before smiling. "Well then nevermind. Let’s make it fun forever! And good luck to you, Yuji!" she teased to turn around and started walking.

 

"Yah Dahye-ah!" I ran after her. We both laughed. Dahye, my best friend, was always carefree, smart, and most of all she’s very pretty. That’s why many guys were all over her and crushing on her since she was young. But she never cared for any of them. She said they only liked her of what they see; she wanted someone who cared for her deeply. Well, I couldn’t agree more.

 

"You know, to start the year fun, why didn’t you ditch that look of yours?" she said eyeing me from head to toe. I furrowed my eyebrows.

 

"What? What’s wrong with it? I like it!"

 

"It’s unappealing! Why don’t you just braid your hair in one instead of two. Your hair parted in the centre and your glasses and buttoned up and neat uniform," she sighed.

 

"What!"

 

"You look stiff and unapproachable! No boys would look at you!" she said shaking her head. Even though she never cared for boys, that wouldn’t stop her for prettying up and fooling around with them.

 

I rolled my eyes. "Yeah yeah sure. Like any boy would even approach either look."

 

"Why don’t you just wear your out-of-school look in school? You know, where you look laid back with your hair down and loose clothing and even without your glasses," she said. She knew about my two looks. One that was for inside of school and the other was outside of school. My uptight look and mellow look.

 

"Now why would I take my glasses off in school where we take notes and all just to look good?" I said frowning.

 

"Exactly!"

 

I shook my head. Really, this girl. She didn’t have anything to worry about; she’s pretty and have self-confidence, and I believed I don’t have either of those two traits.

 

"You’re pretty behind those glasses if you just take them off. Well, if you take them off you won’t see yourself either," she muttered to herself now, but I could still hear her.

 

I rolled my eyes. I was about to walk away when two guys linked by arms passed as by; tall one and a small one with both shiny black. So fluffy! I thought to myself, but I didn’t get a look at the faces, because they already had their back on us heading to the notice board. Then I noticed, the small one had a red wool scarf wrapped around his neck. It suddenly reminded me of the guy from the cafe. I guess red scarf is in right now. The weather was still a bit cold.

 

I turned around heading to the gym, where the opening ceremony would start soon.


"Y-yah! Where are you going? Wait for me!" Dahye shouted behind me as she catch up to me.