Maybe

Interlinked

Jungkook shook his head at his reflection once more. He needed new clothes, but nothing in these shops suited him. But today was important. He couldn’t rock up in a t-shirt and a pair of old sweat pant. Normally he came shopping with someone else. That someone else would help him. But he wasn’t here anymore.

It wasn’t like Jungkook had a bad sense of fashion; it was just that his mind was too far away to think about what he was wearing. But maybe a new wardrobe would do him good; bring his mind back to reality. He took off the top he was trying on in the dressing room and put his own clothes back on. He gave the clothes he tried to the shop assistant and went back to browsing the shop for something, anything, that caught his eye.

Maybe a new pair of jeans? Or a jumper? It was getting chillier, and freezing was not exactly pleasant. But then something did catch Jungkook’s eye: it was not a new pair of jeans.

Two men stood at the entrance of the shop, almost as if they were guarding the door. They were dressed in black, both wearing sunglasses even though the sun was nowhere to be seen. They were built; no one in their right mind would take on those two in a fight. And yet, Jungkook found himself mesmerised by these mysterious men.

Like something out of a movie.

He wanted to approach them and ask why they were there. No one dressed like that in this town. It was plain odd.

Just as he began to move towards them, his phone message alert went off. Momentarily his attention was drawn away from the men as he slid open the message on his phone.

Sorry to say that Claire is feeling unwell and is unable to attend today. We will reorganise the meeting to when you all are available. D.C Walker.

Jungkook scoffed at his phone. The meeting with the other family members was cancelled. Maybe now he wouldn’t need to buy new clothes.

He slid his phone back into his pocket and looked up at the men again. Only this time… they weren’t there. Jungkook ran out but they were nowhere to be seen. He was about to run off in another direction but then he heard someone shout his name.

“Jungkook!” He turned and looked at the girl who standing only a few feet away from him. It was Cho Pan Da, the girl who sat next to him in a few classes at school. Jungkook stiffened; this was the first time he had seen someone from school since the incident.

Not wanting to be rude, Jungkook said hey and offered a smile.

Pan Da smiled back. “How are you doing?” He could see it behind her eyes. The one thing he didn’t want.

“I’m good, yeah, how about you?” He got another smile, not a normal, friendly smile; oh no, it was one of those Jungkook hated, feared even.

A smile masked with pity.

Unable to stand anymore small talk, any more unwanted pity, he made an excuse and began walking away. He let out a deep sigh and his mind wondered back to the two men he had seen earlier.

He was curious. Who were they? Why were they there? What did they want?

Maybe he was being irrational. Maybe they were going to an early Halloween party. Maybe they just like to dress like that.

The world was full of maybes.

One maybe swam around in Jungkook’s head.

Maybe it was all linked.