Have to Wait

Interlinked

School was what he expected. People staring, pointing, asking questions.

And what did Jungkook do? He drowned it all out. Even the teachers. He was already so behind on school work and the term was nearly over so he didn’t see much point in paying any attention.

At break and lunch times, Jungkook was the first person to leave class and retreat to the library, but PanDa managed to find him and sat opposite him. At one point when Kook looked up, she was staring intently at him which freaked him out a bit.

At lunch, she gave him a sandwich when she saw he wasn’t eating. It was chicken mayo; Jimin’s favourite. Jungkook looked at her and tried to smile, but the corners of his mouth were dry and not responding. His eyes averted back to the sandwich and then he felt her hand on his.

“Jungkook, I get if you don’t want to talk, but don’t punish yourself. Please.” He met her eyes again and he saw the sympathy there. But this time he didn’t shun it. Instead, he nodded.

“Thank you.”

Honestly speaking, apart from Jimin, Jungkook didn’t have anyone who he was particularly close with so this unexpected friendship with this girl made him feel less alone and, well, nearly normal. He did appreciate her efforts, but he didn’t know how to show it, but something about her told Jungkook she wasn’t acting like this for anything in return.

She genuinely cared.

The bell signalling the end of school went and Jungkook was the first to bolt out the door. As much as he had warmed to PanDa, he wanted to walk home alone. He had a stop to make.

The stop was in the opposite direction to his apartment so Jungkook knew he would probably get home late. Walking seemed to help him clear his head. The wind was causing his hair to blow in all directions but he didn’t mind, he just kept walking, letting his feet guide him. He stopped on a corner, opposite a flower stand. He took a deep breath before crossing the road. The ajumma was busy with another customer so Jungkook scanned the flowers himself.

What flowers were the most suitable for mourning? What flowers would Jimin like the most?

He shook his head, and as he did so, he saw two people standing at Jungkooks destination, the place that, only two months ago, was covered in enough flowers and cards to make people trip. And that’s why they got removed. Besides being a nuisance to those unaffected, the flowers died. So now there was no memory of the shootings. But Jungkook spotted that the people had flowers in their own hands, roses to be specific.

The lady looked up directly at Jungkook and held his gaze for a few moments; Jungkook identified something in her face – she seemed familiar even though he was sure they had never met. Then it clicked. Jungkook broke the gaze and abandoned his idea of visiting the site of the shootings, he turned and walked back the way he came. They must be the other victims’ friends and family. Jungkook had yet to meet them, and he thought they hadn’t met either, however they seemed perfectly acquainted to Jungkook.

Great.

So now what could Kook do? Well, the meeting was being rearranged. He’d have to wait until then. But Jungkook found himself wondering what would have happened if he had indeed went up to the two people. Would he have felt better? Unlikely.

Jungkook also found himself wondering if they were suspicious of the events of that night. Probably not.

He’d just have to wait.