[_] hunhan: Maybe They'll Come Back

angst bunnies
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

finished fic posted at asianfanfiction.com under the username "dove," but I want to fix it up sometime and probably change the whole premise.

 

Luhan can't remember and Sehun tries to forget.  

It was an accident, Sehun swore. Maybe it was the truth, maybe it was the only thing he could tell himself to keep the guilt at bay. Maybe it was both or maybe it was something else, but it didn't matter because he tried not to dwell on it.

Beside him, the boy in the hospital bed stirred. Eyelids fluttered and revealed two unfocused, innocent, eyes. They blinked three times before landing on Sehun. “Who are you?” the boy-or maybe he was older- asked.

Sehun didn't know how to answer and he wished those dark brown eyes would look somewhere else. Maybe at the IV stand next to them, maybe at the faded painting hanging on the wall. “Do you know who you are?” he asked the bandage around the other's head.

“I'm . . .” He trailed off, biting his lip. There was a scar, old and only visible if one looked hard enough, which was what Sehun was doing- keeping his gaze on anything other than those eyes. “Luhan?”

Sehun chuckled shakily. “You should be more sure of your own name.”

“I just feel . . . I don't know how I feel. I can't remember anything.” Sehun forced himself to raise his eyes like a normal human being. Luhan squinted off into the distance as if trying to search through the blanket of nothingness for something. Anything.

“Am I supposed to remember you?” he asked suddenly.

“Uh . . .” Sehun searched through his too-many-things for something. “Probably, yeah.”

The boy let out a small, defeated sigh. “I'm sorry.”

“Don't be,” he replied immediately. Too fast, he chided himself.

Unbearable seconds ticked past as Luhan went back into his own mind, sifting through memories that didn't exist anymore. Sehun cleared his throat, too loud in the fragile hospital room. “I'll . . . uh . . .go get the doctor, since your awake.” He stood up, legs stiff from sitting in the plastic chair for too long. Wiping his clammy palms on his jeans, he walked past the bed and out the door, too fast to hear Luhan's quiet “ok.”


Six months ago
They met in a bar. It started with a little bump, just like all the love stories.

“How did you manage to hit me when there's literally no one here?” the man asked, more amazed at the stupidity than anything else.

The only people there, other than the bodyguards-friends-whatever-they're-called, was a young couple, who were already edging towards the exit.

“Maybe I'm attracted to you.”

“I know opposites attract, but please get out of my sight,” came the reply to Sehun's attempt at being charming and flirty. The bodyguards-friends-whatever-they're-called behind him tensed but he just smiled on.


Three days after he woke up- it felt like shorter, but could have been forever
“It's really weird,” Luhan said, eating a piece of apple directly from Sehun's fingers as if it was natural. It wasn't, but Sehun didn't complain.

“What's weird?”

“All I know of my entire life right now is made up of these three days and it's just this room, the doctors and nurses and you.”

Sehun held up another apple slice and was rewarded with a slight brush of lips against skin. “And I'm the most important, right?”

“Of course. Much more important than the doctors with their medicine and stuff,” Luhan replied, deadpan.

“Because I give you food.” They both looked at the pile on the nearby table which consisted of a fruit basket, two thermoses of chicken broth and a bowl that used to hold medicine soup.

“You keep my alive,” he said with a smile.

Luhan didn't ask why Sehun was there and why no one else was. Maybe he wanted to, but he never did, and Sehun was grateful.


Five months and seventeen days ago
They met officially at a dinner. They were both wearing suits, surrounded by sparkling glasses of wine and hidden chrome in pockets, and it was more or less the same as their first meeting. Someone-he wasn't too important- introduced them to each other and left.

The not-stranger said his “Luhan” and he said his “Oh Sehun” and followed up with a “nice to meet you, Luhan” because he was in a good mood and feeling polite.

“Ssi.”

“Huh?” He blinked. “Xi Luhan?”

The other rolled his eyes. “Luhan-ssi, as in 'get some manners'.”

“Um . . . ok, Luhan-ssi,” Sehun said with voice halfway between politeness and mock seriousness.

They exchanged a total of six lines that day, but it was how things really began.


One week after the accident
Luhan was well enough to get out of bed, but he still stayed in it all day.

“I want to see more places,” he whined, although, to Sehun, it wasn't the annoying type of whining. “Maybe it'll trigger some m

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter