My Father, My Stranger

Finally, Something Positive

 

Taemin's POV

I could hear the yelling before I even opened the door, but once I had the nights I had spent as a child silently weeping in my bed as my parents yelled and screamed in the living room came crashing back to me. I could feel myself shaking, the only thing that helped was feeling Minho-hyung's reassuring arm around my waist. I looked at him again, there was concern in his eyes, and something else- but I'm not sure what it was.

We walked into the house and up the stairs. When we finally found the source of the screaming, we were outside the door of my mother's bedroom. I removed Minho's arm from my waist (which had only left me when we walked up the stairs, and barely even then as he had grasped my hand). After seeing the look in his eyes and re-examining the turmoil that was happening in my heart and mind at this moment, I took his hand in mine once again. I really do need his support and I just don't want to have any space between us. If I can feel his presence by just holding his hand... I can feel my emotional turmoil settle a little, until I have enough faith in myself that I can open the door.

I fling the door open and enter the room with Minho right behind me. "SHUT UP!" I scream, it hurts my throat a little, but they both quiet down immediately. I look at my mother. She's red in her face and clearly upset, she is now sitting up on her bed and the covers are tossed to the side, thankfully she hadn't made a move to actually get off of the mattress. I turn to my father, hardening my glare as much as I can. "Why are you here?" I made my voice as hard and icy as my glare. His expression shows his shock- good.

"I-I-I..." He trails off.

"You what?! You can't possibly be here to try and make things better! There's no way on Earth that could happen! You left us! Not the other way around! Do you even know what we went through after you left?!" My anger was starting to boil over, and when he tried to speak- I could nearly feel myself erupt. "NO! I had to drop out of school just so that we wouldn't starve! I work THREE part-time jobs and teach myself before I go to bed. I have turned to my friends to help make sure that mom and my brothers and sister are fed in time! There has been so much hardship in this house since you left- and you NEVER cared! Why come back now?! STAY AWAY! Just-" I heard the smack before I actually felt it. My hand had long since left Minho's and it was not clutching my cheek. The stinging pain I felt brought tears to my eyes, but only one escaped before I managed to hold the rest back.

What happened after that happened so fast, I barely saw it go down. In a flash, Minho was standing in front of me and had smacked my father the same way my father had smacked me. I watched over Minho's shoulder as my father held his cheek and hatred burned in his eyes. We finally gave him a chance to speak.

"Who are you?" Loathing was laced through his voice, "What right do you have to come in here and barge into our family matters?"

"I am Choi Minho. And I am in love with your son." I froze for a second and turned my complete attention to Minho.

"Minho-hyung?" I saw his eyes widen and he slowly turned to me.

"Tae, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to confess like... well, like that." He seemed to be fumbling a little bit with his words, but there was so much sincerity in them, "But, I really do love you Taemin. I've thought about it over and over again since I met you and... Taemin, will you go out with me? I know this isn't the most ideal situation..." I cut him off by throwing my arms around his neck. The pain in my cheek from the smack my father had given me no longer mattered as I brought my lips to his.

This was our second kiss, and this one mattered so much more. I felt his tongue on my bottom lip and I willingly opened my mouth so that our tongues could meet. I had actually forgotten where we were and why we were here, but when we finally separated, panting for air, my father's presence no longer mattered. The anger I had felt for my father had been pushed out of my mind as I looked into Minho's eyes and spoke.

"Of course, I love you to." He smiled and kissed me once again, this was a sweeter kiss, similar to the one we had shared several weeks ago.

When we had separated again we turned to my father, this time we were hand in hand. My father looked shocked, angry, and disgusted. But, for once I truly did not care.

"I leave you alone for a little while, and you become like- like THIS?"

"No, sir," I addressed him as what he was- a stranger. "You left your family behind and they grew and moved on without you. I have discovered things that I might never have found if you were still around- happiness and love. So, for that I thank you. Thank you for leaving, sir, and I would thank you if you left now and never came back." I felt Minho give my hand a reassuring squeeze, and I returned it letting him know that I was still okay.

The silence that had fallen over the room was a little unsettling. At least until the man I had known as father for the last eighteen years spoke again.

"Fine." He took a breath, "You are all right. I left, I was selfish. I probably should not have come back, I am sorry. But, please allow me one thing." No one responded, so he continued, "Can I make phone calls to check up on the younger ones? I understand that I don't deserve that, but please, that's all I ask."

I looked to my mother who simply nodded at me, "That's all you are allowed. Now, have a nice life." I smiled the smile I give to my customers at my jobs. He nodded and walked around Minho and me, and continued out of the bedroom, and down the stairs. I held my breath until I heard the front door close- he was finally completely gone, by my hand. No, by my words, he was out of my life.

My mother cleared and I turned to her. She looked at Minho, then at me. "I believe the three of us have something to discuss." the only thing I could do was nod my head, and look at Minho who was giving her a sheepish smile.