Key Sends Bad News

Finally, Something Positive

Minho's POV

It's been a couple of weeks since that day when I first met Taemin. Since then he has told me about his family situation, and we've grown closer than I had thought possible. Yet, today, is July 18th- Taemin's Birthday. Key and I have been planning a small party for him with the help of his younger siblings. It's going to be a small party just Taemin, his three siblings, Key, and me- but it will be worth it! I'm hoping to take this opportunity to confess, and ask him out. I haven't really had much of an opportunity to see him this past week and it's just killing me!

"Alright, Hongki! Hustle!" I clap my hands for emphasis and encouragement while watching my team run across the field. It's just a scrimmage match, but they are demonstrating amazing skills for a group of kids. 

I watch as Hongki passes the ball to Seunghyun and he races as close as he can get to the goal before making one last pass to Dongwoon. Dongwoon kicks the ball and it lifts off of the field and passes the goal keepers' outstretched arms and smacks the netting- goal! With only one second left on the clock my team managed to win by six points. As soon as the referee called game my team ran over to the other team and forewent the hi-5 line up in favor of hugging the other team's members. I laughed out loud and continued watching as they pat the back's of the other team's members and told them how well they played- what a great group of kids! I feel my phone go off in my pocket. I pull it out and, while keeping an eye on my team, I read the message displayed on the screen.

From: KEY

Frog! Bad News- REALLY BAD NEWS! Call me when you're team goes home! ~KEY~

I feel my brows  furrow as I re-read the message. What happened? I jam the phone back in my pocket and congratulate my team before sending them home with their families. A few whined, but quickly agreed to go home when I told them I would have a surprise for them next Monday at practice. As I watched the last kid- Hongki- get in his parent's car, I pulled my cellphone out, pulled Key's number up and pressed the call button.

"FROG!"

"Key? What's going on? What happened?"

"He came back!"

"What? Who came back?"

"Minnie's dad! He came back! He's arguing with Taemin's mom right now!"

"Where's Taemin? And his younger siblings?"

"Taemin's still at work and I took the kids to my place- I can't let them hear their own parents arguing!"

"Alright, I'm going to get Taemin before I go to your place."

"Okay. Please be quick!"

We said goodbye and hung up. Why on Earth did that man come back today of all days? I'm pretty sure this is the last thing Taemin needs to happen on his birthday. I hop in my car and drive to the same place he was working when I learned his name. I glanced at the time on my phone- 2:28, he should be done any minute now. I got out of my car and leaned against it, hoping to calm my nerves. Within the next couple of minutes I saw Taemin walk out of the building. He stopped when he saw me.

"Minho-hyung?"

"Hey Tae! Happy Birthday!" I gave him a quick hug before opening the passenger door and ushering him inside my car.

"Minho-hyung, what's happening?"

"Well, Key told me you have off from work at the dance studio tonight and... we're going to go to Key's house for a bit."

"Hyung. What's going on?"

I sighed, I really don't want to tell him that his father is at his house arguing with his mother- but what choice do I have? I can't lie to him, and he definitely figures something is hapeening. I glanced at Taemin again, "Text Key and tell him I said change of plans. Then I will tell you."

"Okay." He sounded a bit hesitant but then I heard the buttons on his phone clicking and I knew he was sending it anyway, "Done. Now, please tell me?"

"You're siblings are at Key's place."

"What? Why?"

"You're father came back and he is at your house right now- arguing with your mother." I cringed.

"Are you telling the truth?" His voice had gone cold and hard.

"Yes, I would never lie about this."

"We are going to my house." I heard him take a breath, "Now."

A few minutes later I stopped the car in front of his house, I turned to him, "Are you sure you want to go in there right now?"

"Yes."

"Fine, I'm going in with you though."

I looked at him, he opened his mouth as though he were going to protest- but quickly shut it and nodded his head sharply. We both got out of the car. As soon as we did, we heard an angry Key yelling from the front steps of his house.

"YAH! FROG! MINNIE! WHAT DO YOU MEAN CHANGE IN PLANS? WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!"

We ignored him as he continued on and went to the door of Taemin's house. I saw Taemin shaking a little bit and I placed my arm around his waist. He looked at me and there were so many emotions in his eyes, I decided too give him a gentle squeeze. He gave me a small smile and opened the door. Already we could hear the shouting that was happening deep inside the house.