Eight

It'll probably change

Jinwoo was sitting on a stool in the bar with nothing to do. Since there was no band, there was no trash. "They'll come back" the boss said. "We'll find a new band and this place will be full of trash again, don't worry". He wasn't worried at all.

He spent his afternoons there listening to music, playing in the old keyboards, making songs. Or at least he called it that. Sometimes another guy came and he had a very different way of calling Jinwoo's compositions, but then again, that other guy was different in many ways.

Jinwoo likes to talk to him, the younger one was always so excited and full of ideas so he didn't talk much in the end. But he still liked him. Jin was more of a listener so it was fine.

 

- Hyung! - There he was

- Yoon-ah, hey

- Hyung, I think I got it now. I'm gonna name my band Seungyoonsonics, or Yoonics, or Yoon and his-

- I don't think your bandmates would like any of those names…

- Why? Why not? What's wrong with those names? Besides I'm done caring about what my bandmates think. I'm thinking more of a dictatorship this time around, what do you think hyung?

He laughed that thunderous laugh of his, one that made you think that what he just said was a joke. But Jinwoo knew best, Seungyoon was sort of traumatised you could say. He has too many bad experiences with bandmates (and "friends" in general) to trust someone easily.

- Yoon-ah, why don't you just go solo? With your voice I bet many agencies will sign you right up.

- Nah hyung, those big corporatives aren't my thing. Next time I'll be singing soulless pop music that won't mean anything. Besides, I need a band. There's a magical sound that you can only bring with a band. It's out of this world. You only ever play alone with your piano so you wouldn't know. But a band, a band is a collision of sounds that when done the right way it can bring tears to the most coldhearted person. The bass together with the drums, a good rhythm section can make it or brake it. And then the guitar and maybe other instruments. And a vocalist a good vocalist can take us to the next level. A band is like a cake... like a cake. I need to find the right people hyung, I need to make the best band there could be.

- You're right. I wouldn't know exactly what you mean. But I still think the way you talk betrays your real feelings. You're a nice kid Yoon, you could never be the dictator you envision. You need to find friends that love music as much as you do. Then you'll have your band.

- Friends… yeah, - he smirked- Well hyung, if I ever make a band with …ehmm… friends, you'll be the first member ok?

- Hahaha, no Yoon, you need talented people in your band if you want to make it the best.

- You are good at playing hyung, come on! Not so good at composing… but I'm good at it so that doesn't matter - He laughed. Jinwoo couldn't help but laugh too.

- And whatever happened to that Mino guy? The one at your school? You said he was a musician too, what about him?

- I don't know. I haven't seen him too much. We don't go to school much and he doesn't like the food there as much as I do so we don't bump in the cafeteria, that's were I'm always at to be honest. We only talk for a bit in the hallways or whenever we find each other in the school grounds but not much.

- You sound disappointed.

- Yeah, I mean, he is a rapper so I wouldn't ask him to join my band but I like talking to him. Oh! but not as much as with you hyung don't get jealous.

- Of course not you brat. Who would? I'm glad you have someone at school, I was getting worried about that you know?

- Come on hyung, is not that I'm all alone

- You are. No, you were. But having a good friend is never a bad thing.

- Yeah…

- And anyway what's the problem if he's a rapper? You could come up with a new concept with your music. Rock and rap are very strong genres, I think they would match fine if you tried.

- Yeah, maybe they would…. I'll have to think about it. I have to go now... work.

 

Yoon pouted at this, said goodbye and left smiling. He's been behaving more like a child lately. At the beginning he was angry all the time but it's been better. Who knows what happened but Jinwoo was genuinely glad of this change.

He too had to go, his parents entered him in a competition that was set up in two weeks. Whatever, he'll show up and probably end up last with the amount of practice he's been doing. Maybe after this his parents will just let the dream go.

With a sigh and very unwillingly, he left the bar.

 

 

Seungyoon was in a happy mood. Talking to Jinwoo always made him feel happy and relaxed. The older guy wouldn't know but having him as a friend has helped Yoon a lot and he was very glad he decided to talk to Jinwoo that one day when he heard him play.

He was late for work but he got distracted seeing a familiar back, a big black jacket, a black beanie and enormous red headphones. He called him "Yah! Song Mino!"

Seungyoon had to go up to him and smack him in the head for Mino to take off his headphones

- Yah! What the do you think you're doing you - Ah! Seungyoon! what was that for? You could have just called me. 

- Yeah, I tried, a bunch of times actually. You never listen with those things on..

- That may be true hahaha

It was really weird for both of them to talk so comfortably to one another. They really didn't know each other for long. But neither tried to find a reason for it. They figured it was the fact they were both musicians. Or aspiring ones at least.

They walked for a while together, apparently going to the same place

- So what you've been up to? - Seungyoon asked. - It's been a while since I've seen you in school.

- I just didn't feel like going.. I've been doing nothing special though. 

Mino side eyed Seungyoon and somehow he had a feeling Mino wanted to tell him something so he waited. He was late for work, again, but that could wait.

- So… Actually I've been writing more than usual these days. Been seeing some people from my old crew and coming up with some ideas

- Mhm

- And I.. ehmm.. I'm actually going to the studio later on to work on some beats

- Oh… Sounds cool - He tried to sound uninterested

- Wanna come? - He probably didn't accomplish the uninterested part

- I don't know.. I probably won't blend with the 'old crew'. - "Whomever they are" He thought.

- No you definitely will not. But still, I'll take you so it's fine. If you want.

- Sure 

Seungyoon was ecstatic, and if Mino had turned to see him at that moment he would have seen him happier than every other day. The glint in his eyes brighter and the biggest smile crossing his lips.

He had never been to a studio. "It's gonna be amazing" he thought.

- Oh but it's not gonna be till night and we're probably gonna spend the night there. - But you don't have to stay all night of course - Mino added quickly after seeing Seungyoon's surprised expression.

- No no! it's fine. No one's at home at night anyway so it doesn't matter.

- Oh. Ok. I was gonna go eat something now.. ehmm… wanna come?

- Yes!

Mino smiled, this dude made expressions like such a child sometimes. It was good they were the same age, he felt comfortable with him. Actually he didn't know why he had invited him to come to the studio. Maybe the fact that he was a musician completely unrelated to hiphop helped. He could be objective about their work and Mino had the idea that Yoon wouldn't hesitate to tell him exactly what he thought.

 

They stopped a few blocks away from an all-girls college. Seungyoon was genuinely surprised. He never expected Mino to go to this kind of place. He smirked and Mino noticed as he smiled and told him "The coffee is great. Shut up".

They entered laughing and attracted the attention of the customers. GIrls mainly. Both of the guys immediately fell silent as none was used to this kind of attention. The girls wouldn't stop staring, some of them giggling and so Mino was quick to take Yoon to his usual table and unconsciously sat lower than normally trying to hide.

They caught each other eyes and burst out laughing again. 

 

- Whenever you feel like it I can take your order. Of course I have all the time of the world. I mean it's my job. I can just wait for you to stop laughing your-

- Taehyun-ah! Glad to see you're in your lovely mood today as well

- Yah! I don't ha- Hyung….

- There you go

- You want the same thing as always right? I'll be right back.

- Taehyun-ah

- Yes?. Hyung

- Can't you see there's someone else here?

- Oh… Yeah. Ehmm.. What do you want?

- I'll just have the same thing he's having. - Seungyoon looked very amused by their whole conversation. 

- The same thing? You don't even know what that is, how could you want the same thing?

- Eh…. I just- 

- Leave it Yoon, he's always like that. Taehyun-ah he wants the same thing ok?

- Ok. I'll be right back. - Hyung, he added quickly.

 

- Hyung? -Seungyoon asked with a very amused look on his face.

- Yep. Don't mind him, he's a brat.

- I can see. He seems to like you though.

- Like? How did you come to that conclusion?- He laughed - I don't know, I recently had a very long, let's call it conversation about.. ehmm… privacy with him. I don't think he liked it much.

- You've known him long?

- Nah. I mean I've come to this restaurant for a long time but I've only started talking to him.. what?about two months ago maybe?

- Oh. Anyway. Is it really fine if I go with you today? I mean, are you sure your friends won't mind?

Mino looked at Yoon. He really did seem concerned about it. He wondered again if the rumours he had heard at school were true. Everytime he had seen him, he always looked bright and happy. But Mino knew better than to judge someone by how they acted in their everyday life. You just never know.

- It really is fine. Don't worry. I got your back.

Yoon just smiled. 

 

- And here it is. Two hamburgers, no onions, extra ketchup, and fries. I put some more in yours hyung. (Only in hyung's huh?- Yoon was again very amused) And two coffees. I made them! - He had a really nice smile Seungyoon thought. Innocent-like. Who would've thought. He unknowingly smiled.

- What? What's so funny?

- That'd be all. Thanks Taehyun-ah. 

- Yeah, sure. 

 

- He's a very interesting guy I'll give you that.

- Hah, you have no idea. But he does make a great coffee. I think that's why there are always a lot of people here.

- Girls you mean. And I don't think it's about the coffee.

- What?

- Hahaha, nothing. let's eat.

 

- Where's Mino hyung?

- He left for a while to make some phone calls.

- Oh. I was just going to tell him that we're about to close

- I can tell him that. Can you bring me the bill please?

- You're gonna pay for both?

- Yeah. Why?

- Nothing. How long have you known hyung?

- We go to the same school together. But not that long. We recently started talking more.

- Oh. 

- Yeah. Ehmm… Taehyun? can you bring the bill please? - He had to tell him again as the younger boy didn't seem to want to move.

- Right. 

 

They left shortly after. Mino was in a great mood. He kept telling Seungyoon how he would invite him more often to eat if he kept paying. Yoon wasn't too fond of the idea. He didn't have a lot of money so he chose to believe Mino was joking. "Yeah right, you're gonna pay next time. But we can always eat at the school cafeteria you know". "Nope, I rather definitely pay" Mino answered with a smile.